This paper presents microstrip array antenna integrated with novel shapes of 2D-electromagnetic band-gap structure (2D-EBG). Three different shapes of 2D EBG are used for harmonic suppression, optimizing the current distribution on the patches and decreasing the mutual coupling between array elements. As a result, the performance of the antenna array is improved. The three novel shapes of 2D-EBG presented are star, H shaped and I shaped slots. Simulated and measured results verify the improved performance of the array antenna compared to the antenna without EBG as well as antenna array with conventional EBG shapes. The harmonic suppression and reflection coefficients are improved by about 18 dB. Minimum mutual coupling is less than -20 dB, and the antenna size is reduced by 15% compared to the original size.
2. Yu, A. and X. Zhang, "A novel method to improve the performance of microstrip antenna arrays using dumbbell EBG structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 2, 170-172, 2003.
3. Horii, Y. and M. Tsutsumi, "Harmonic control by photonic bandgap on microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Microwave Guided Wave Lett., Vol. 9, 13-15, 1999.
4. Liu, H., Z. Li, X. Sun, and J. Mao, "Harmonic suppression with photonic bandgap and defected ground structure for a microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Microw. and Wireless Compenents Lett., Vol. 15, No. 2, 55-56, Feb. 2005.
5. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmate-samii, "Mutual coupling reduction of microstrip antennas using electromagnetic bandgap structure," IEEE Antenna and Propag. Soc Int. Symp., Vol. 2, 478-481, Boston, MA, 2001.
6. Yu, A. and X. X. Zhang, "A novel 2D electromagnetic band-gap structure and its application in microstrip antenna arrays," Proc. 3rd Int. Conf. Microwave and Millimeter Wave Tech. ICMMT, 580-583, 2002.
7. Yang, L., Z. Feng, F. Chen, and M. Fan, "A novel compact EBG structure and its application in microstrip antenna arrays," IEEE MTTS Digest, 1635-1638, 2004.
8. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmate-Samii, "Applications of electromagnetic band gap (EBG) structures in microwave antenna designs," Proc. 3rd Int. Conf. Microwave and Millimeter Wave Tech., 528-531, 2002.
9. Salehi, M., A. Motevasselian, A. Tavakoli, and T. Heidari, "Mutual coupling reduction of microstrip antennas using defected ground structure," 10th IEEE International Conference on Communication Systems (ICCS), Oct. 1-5, 2006.
10. Karbassian, M. M. and H. Ghafouri-Shiraz, "Effect of shape of patterns on the performance of microstrip photonic band-gap filters," Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 6, 1007-1011, Apr. 2006.