This paper presents the simulation study of a wideband modified fractal rectangular curve iteration-1 (FRC-1) dielectric resonator antenna (DRA) along with conventional FRC DRAs of different iteration levels for WiMAX application. The simulation study has been carried out using CST Microwave Studio software. The design procedure and radiation performance characteristics of modified and conventional FRC DRAs are described and the simulation results for modified FRC-1 DRA are compared with those of a conventional FRC-1 DRA of identical outer dimensions. The simulation results for the material dielectric constant dependent radiation characteristics of both the FRC-1 DRAs are also presented. The results presented here may be useful in designing portable personnel communication device antennas and in analyzing the performance of these antennas for wireless communication.
2. Ittipiboon, A. and R. K. Mongia, "Theoretical and experimental investigations on rectangular dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, 1348-1356, 1997.
3. Rezaei, P., M. Hakkak, and K. Forooaghi, "Design of wide-band dielectric resonator antenna with a two-segment structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 111-124, 2006.
4. Kajfez, D. and A. A. Kishk, "Dielectric resonator antenna --- possible candidate for adaptive antenna arrays," Telecommunications, Next Generation Networks and Beyond International Symposium, Portoroz, Slovenia, May 2002.
5. Hajihasemi, M. R. and H. Abiri, "Prametric study of novel types of dielectric resonator antennas based on fractal geometry," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-aided Engineering, Vol. 17, No. 4, 416-424.
6. Saed, M. and R. Yadla, "Microstrip-fed low profile and compact dielectric resonator antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 151-162, 2006.
7. Werner, D. H. and S. Ganguly, "An overview of fractal antenna engineering," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, 38-57, 2003.
8. De Young, C. S. and S. A. Long, "Wideband cylindrical and rectangular dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 426-429, 2006.
9. Long, S. A., M. W. Mcallister, and L. C. Shen, "The resonant cylindrical dielectric cavity antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, No. 3, 406-412, 1983.
10. Petosa, A., Dielectric Resonator Antenna Handbook, Artech House Publishers, 2007.
11. De Young, C. S. and S. A. Long, "Investigation of dual mode wideband rectangular and cylindrical dielectric resonator antennas," International Sym. on Antennas and Propagation Society, Vol. 4B, 210-213, 2005.
12. Sebastian, M. T., Dielectric Materials for Wireless Communication, Elsevier, 2008.
13. Marneffe, T., , http://users.swing.be/TGMSoft.
14. Tsachtsiris, G., C. Soras, M. Karaboikis, and V. Makios, "A reduced size fractal rectangular curve patch antenna," IEEE Electromagnetic Compatibility International Symposium, 912-915, Istanbul, May 2003.
15. CST GmbH 2006 CST Microwave Studio (r) User Mannual V.6.0, , Darmstadt, Germany, (www.cst.de).