A down-link CATV/fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) and up-link FTTH transport system employing a reflective semiconductor optical amplifier (RSOA) as wavelength reuse and remodulation schemes is proposed and experimentally demonstrated. By using -1 side mode injection-locked/optoelectronic feedback techniques, brilliant performances of carrier-to-noise ratio (CNR), composite second-order (CSO), composite triple beat (CTB), and bit error rate (BER) were obtained for down-link transmission; low BER value was also achieved for up-link transmission over a 50-km single-mode fiber (SMF) transmission. Such a CATV/FTTH transport system is suitable for broadband access fiber networks.
2. Lin, C. T., J. Chen, P. C. Peng, W. R. Peng, B. S. Chiou, and S. Chi, "Hybrid optical access network integrating fiber-to-the-home and radio over-fiber systems," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 19, 610-612, 2007.
3. Tzeng, S. J., H. H. Lu, C. Y. Li, K. H. Chang, and C. H. Lee, "CSO/CTB performance improvement by using Fabry-Perot etalon at the receiving site," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 107-113, 2009.
4. Lu, H. H., W. Y. Lin, H. C. Peng, C. Y. Li, and H. S. Su, "Fiber-to-the-home integration with digital link on microwave subcarrier transport systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 7, 125-136, 2009.
5. Cho, K. Y., Y. Takushima, and Y. C. Chung, "Enhanced operating range of WDM PON implemented by using uncooled RSOAs," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 20, 1536-1538, 2008.
6. Nadarajah, N., K. L. Lee, and A. Nirmalathas, "Upstream access and local area networking in passive optical networks using self-seeded reflective semiconductor optical amplifier," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 19, 1559-1561, 2007.
7. Chang, C. H., L. Chrostowski, C. J. Chang-Hasnain, and W. W. Chow, "Study of long-wavelength VCSEl-VCSEL injection locking for 2.5-Gb/s transmission," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 14, 1635-1637, 2002.
8. Im, D., I. Nam, H. T. Kim, and K. Lee, "A wideband CMOS low noise amplifier employing noise and IM2 distortion cancellation for a digital TV tuner," IEEE J. Solid-state Circuits, Vol. 44, 686-698, 2009.