This paper presents comprehensive methods for the design of a 900-MHz CMOS transmit/receive (T/R) switch with high power-handling capability. Techniques such as RF floated body to extend the bandwidth and decrease the insertion loss, and stacking architecture with high substrate isolation to enhance the power-handling capability are used for the design of a T/R switch on a standard 0.18um triple-well CMOS process. The measured performance of the T/R switch demonstrates the effectiveness of the methods presented in this paper such that insertion loss less than 1.0 dB, isolation up to 35.2 dB, and input 1-dB compression point of 30-dBm can be achieved at 900-MHz.
2. Tokumitsu, T., I. Toyoda, and M. Aikawa, "A low-voltage, high-power T/R-switch MMIC using LC resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 43, No. 5, 997-1003, 1995.
3. Miyatsuji, K. and D. Ueda, "A GaAs high power RF single pole dual through switch IC for digital mobile communication system," IEEE Jounal of Solid-State Circuit, Vol. 30, No. 9, 979-983, 1995.
4. Imai, N., A. Minakawa, and H. Okazaki, "Novel high-isolation FET switches," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 44, No. 5, 685-691, May 1996.
5. Raghavan, A., H. Deukhyoun, M. Moonkyun, A. Sutono, L. Kyutae, and J. Laskar, "A 2.2-V operation, 2.4-GHz single-chip GaAs MMIC transceiver for wireless applications," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 1019-1022, 2002.
6. Makioka, S., Y. Anda, K. Miyatsuji, and D. Ueda, "Super self-aligned GaAs RF switch IC with 0.25 dB extremely low insertion loss for mobile communication systems," IEEE Transactions on Electron. Devices, Vol. 48, No. 8, 1510-1514, 2001.
7. Mil'shtein, S. and C. Liessner, "High speed switch using pairs of pHEMTs with shifted gates," Microelectronics Journal, Vol. 36, No. 3--6, 316-318, 2005.
8. Huang, F.-J. and K. O, "A 0.5 μm CMOS T/R switch for 900-MHz wireless application," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 36, No. 3, 486-492, 2001.
9. Huang, F.-J. and K. O, "Single-pole double-throw CMOS switches for 900-MHz and 2.4-GHz applications on p-silicon substrates," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 39, 35-41, 2004.
10. Li, Z., H. Yoon, F.-J. Huang, and K. O, "5.8-GHz CMOS T/R switches with high and low substrate resistances in a 0.18 μm CMOS process," IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, 1-3, Jan. 2003.
11. Ohnakado, T., S. Yamakawa, T. Murakami, A. Furukawa, E. Taniguchi, H. Ueda, N. Suematsu, and T. Oomori, "21.5-dBm power-handling 5-GHz transmit/receive CMOS switch realized by voltage division e®ect of stacked transistor configuration with depletion-layer-extended transistors (DETs)," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 39, 577-584, Apr. 2004.
12. Talwalker, N., C. P. Yue, and S. S. Wong, "An integrated 5.2 GHz CMOS T/R switch with LC-tuned substrate bias," 2003 International Solid-State Circuits Conference Digest of Technical Papers, 362-363, Feb. 2003.
13. Talwalker, N. A., C. P. Yue, and S. S. Wong, "Integrated CMOS transmit-receive switch using LC-tuned substrate bias for 2.4-GHz and 5.2-GHz applications," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 39, 863-870, 2004.
14. Yeh, M.-C., Z.-M. Tsai, R.-C. Liu, K.-Y. Lin, Y.-T. Chang, and H. Wang, "Design and analysis for a miniature CMOS SPDT switch using body-floating technique to improve power performance," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 1, 31-39, Jan. 2006.
15. Wu, W., S. Lam, and M. Chan, "A wide-band T/R switch using enhanced compact waffle MOSFETs," IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, 287-289, 2006.
16. Xu, H. and K. O, "A 31.3-dBm bulk CMOS T/R switch using stacked transistors with sub-design-rule channel length in floated p-wells," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 42, 2528-2534, 2007.
17. Tinella, C., J. M. Fournier, D. Belot, and V. Knopik, "A high-performance CMOS-SOI antenna switch for the 2.5--5 GHz band," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 38, No. 7, 1279-1283, Jul. 2003.