Two recent methods that have been reported in the literature to improve the performance of pyramidal horns are metal baffle loading and the use of epsilon-near-zero metamaterial. In this paper, a comparative study of the two methods is undertaken for the case of Ku- and X-band horns. In addition to the simulation study, a C-band metal baffle loaded horn was fabricated and rigorously characterized. It emerges from the study that E-plane metal baffle loading improves the radiation characteristics of the horn much better than the loading by metamaterial. Furthermore, the baffle loading nearly retains the construction simplicity, weight and cost of the normal pyramidal horn.
2. Stutzman, W. L. and G. A. Thiele, Antenna Theory and Design, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, 1998.
3. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 2005.
4. Bird, T. S. and A. W. Love, "Horn antennas," Antenna Engineering Handbook, 4th edition, 14-1-14-74, J. Volakis (ed.), McGraw-Hill, 2007.
5. Kock, W. E., Metal-lens antennas, Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 34, 828-836, 1946.
6. Chatterjee, R., Antenna Theory and Practice, 2nd Ed., New Age International, 1996.
7. Elliott, R. S., "Antenna Theory and Design," John Wiley & Sons, 2003.
8. Lier, E. and R. Landes, "High gain linearly polarised dual band horn for multi-feed reflector antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, 1230-1232, 2003.
9. Tsandoulas, G. and W. Fitzgerald, "Aperture efficiency enhancement in dielectrically loaded horns," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 20, 69-74, 1972.
10. Risser, J. R., "Waveguide and horn feeds," Microwave Antenna Theory and Design, S. Silver (ed.), 383, McGraw-Hill, 1949.
11. Koerner, M. A. and R. L. Rogers, "Gain enhancement of a pyramidal horn using E- and H-plane metal baffles," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, 529-538, 2000.
12. Tan, C. Y. and K. T. Selvan, Performance improvement of pyramidal horn using triangular E--plane metal baffle, 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2009. EuCAP 2009, 3034-3037, 2009.
13. Wu, Q., P. Pan, F.-Y. Meng, L.-W. Li, and J. Wu, "A novel flat lens horn antenna designed based on zero refraction principle of metamaterials," Applied Physics A: Materials Science & Processing, Vol. 87, No. 2, 151-156, May 2007.
14. Hrabar, S., D. Bonefacic, and D. Muha, "ENZ-based shortened horn antenna --- An experimental study," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2008. AP-S 2008, 1-4, 2008.
15. Hwang, R.-B., H.-W. Liu, and C.-Y. Chin, "A metamaterial-based E---plane horn antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 275-289, 2009.
16. Xiao, Z. and H. Xu, "Low refractive metamaterials for gain enhancement of horn antenna," Journal of Infrared, Millimeter and Terahertz Waves, Vol. 30, 225-232, March 2009.
17. Selvan, K. T., "Derivation of a condition for the normal gain behavior of pyramidal horns," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, 1782-1784, 2000.
18. Tan, C. Y., K. T. Selvan, and Y. M. Koh, "Derivation of conditions for the normal gain behavior of conical horns," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2007, 4, 2007.
19. Ramsay, J., "Highlights of antenna history," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Newsletter, Vol. 23, 7-20, 1981.
20. Rust, N. M., "The phase correction of horn radiators," J. Inst. Elec. Eng., Vol. 93, 50-51, Mar-May 1946.
21. Selvan, K. T., "A modified three-antenna gain measurement method to simplify uncertainty estimation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 57, 197-208, 2006.
22. Mittra, R., Y. Li, and K. Yoo, "A comparative study of directivity enhancement of microstrip patch antennas with using three different superstrates," Microwave and Optical Technology LettersMicrowave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 2, 327-331, February 2010.