A compact planar ultra-wideband (UWB) dipole antenna having band-notched characteristic is presented. The dipole antenna has the shape of a modified annular ring and is fed by a 50-Ω microstrip line. Cutting a slot in each radiating annular ring improves the input impedance bandwidth. With the design, the return loss is lower than -10 dB in 3.1 GHz-10.6 GHz frequency range. In addition, band-notched filtering properties in the 5.15 GHz-5.825 GHz are achieved by etching four rectangular slits in the ground plane, and the radiation pattern is similar to a conventional dipole antenna. A good agreement is found between the simulation and the experiment. Details of the proposed antenna design and the experimental results are presented.
2. Kerkhoff, A. and H. Ling, Design of a planar monopole antenna for use with ultra-wideband (UWB) having a band-notched characteristic, Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., 830-833, Columbus, OH, Jun. 2003.
3. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, and K. F. Lee, "Ultrawide-band coplanar Ultrawide-band coplanar," Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 3, No. 1, 227-229, 2004.
4. Hsu, S. H. and K. Chang, Ultra-thin CPW-fed rectangular slot antenna for UWB applications, Proc. IEEE AP-S Int. Symp., 2587-2590, Jul. 2006.
5. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, Nov. 2005.
6. Huang, C. Y., W. C. Hsia, and J. S. Kuo, "Planar ultra-wideband antenna with a band-notched characteristic," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 1, 99-101, Jan. 2006.
7. Huang, C. Y. and W. C. Hsia, "Planar ultra-wideband antenna with a frequency notch characteristic," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 2, 316-320, Feb. 2007.
8. Lui, W. J., C. H. Cheng, and H. B. Zhu, "Frequency notched printed slot antenna with parasitic open-circuit stub," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 20, 1094-1095, Sep. 2005.
9. Lee, S. H., J. W. Baik, and Y. S. Kim, "A coplanar waveguide fed monopole ultra-wideband antenna having band-notched frequency function by two folded-striplines," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 11, 2747-2750, Nov. 2007.
10. Kim, K. H. and S. O. Park, "Design of the band-rejected UWB antenna with the ring shaped parasitic patch," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 7, 1310-1313, Jul. 2006.
11., Ansoft Corporation HFSS [Online]. Available: http://www.ansoft.com/products/hf/hfss/.