In this paper, we propose a novel genetic algorithm (GA) called immunity GA (IGA) for array pattern synthesis with interference suppression using digital amplitude only control. The IGA is based on crossover evolution where the crossover operator is a variant of the known GA operator. A new formulation of the array factor transform for a specific number of elements N is expressed by a discrete cosine transform (DCT) with pre-computed DCT matrix. Evaluating thousands of candidate solutions generated by the IGA using the precomputed DCT matrix will result in a high speed computation. This high performance allows us to find a good approximation of the absolute minimum SLL of synthesized arrays with digital amplitude control. Simulation results show the effectiveness of this new algorithm for pattern synthesis with low SLL and null steering.
2. Khodier, M. M. and C. G. Christodoulou, "Linear array geometry synthesis with minimum sidelobe level and null control using particle swarm optimization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagt., Vol. 53, No. 8, 2674-2679, Aug. 2005.
3. Donelli, M., R. Azaro, F. De Natale, and A. Massa, "An innovative computational approach based on a particle swarm strategy for adaptive phased-arrays control," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagt., Vol. 54, No. 3, Mar. 2006.
4. Guney, K. and S. Basbug, "Interference suppression of linear antenna arrays by amplitude-only control using a bacterial foraging algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 475-497, 2008.
5. Haupt, R. L., "Thinned arrays using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagt., Vol. 42, 993-999, Jul. 1994.
6. Mahanti, G. K., N. Pathak, P. Mahanti, and , "Synthesis of thinned linear antenna arrays with fixed sidelobe level using real-coded genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 319-328, 2007.
7. Buckley, M. J., "Linear array synthesis using a hybrid genetic algorithm," Proc. IEEE Ant. Propagat. Soc. Int. Symp., 584-587, Baltimore, MD, Jul. 1996.
8. Ruf, C. S., "Numerical annealing low-redundancy linear arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagt., Vol. 41, 85-90, Jan. 1993.
9. Murino, V., A. Trucco, and C. Regazzoni, "Synthesis of unequally spaced arrays by simulated annealing," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 44, No. 1, 119-123, 1996.
10. Mulholland, J. E., F. N. DiMeo, A. Hoorfar, and K. Goverdhanam, "The optimization of thinned phased arrays by the use of neural networks," 10th Annual Benjamin Franklin Symposium, Philadelphia, PA, May 2, 1992.
11. Rattan, M., M. S. Patterh, and B. S. Sohi, "Antenna array optimization using evolutionary approaches," Apeiron, Vol. 15, No. 1, 78, Jan. 2008.
12. Razavi, A. and K. Forooraghi, "Thinned arrays using pattern search algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 61-71, 2008.
13. Rocha-Alicanoa, C., D. Covarrubias-Rosalesa, C. Brizuela-Rodrigueza, and M. Panduro-Mendozab, "Differential evolution algorithm applied to sidelobe level reduction on a planar array," Int. J. Electron. Commun. (AEU), Vol. 61, 286-290, 2007.