This paper presents a de-interleaved subsampling receiver architecture suitable for homodyne receivers. The proposed topology requires only a single branch to down-convert and extract the in-phase (I) and quadrature (Q) baseband signals. Using a single-branch receiver eliminates the I/Q mismatch issue of traditional direct down-conversion receivers. The simplicity of the proposed receiver architecture makes it an alternative solution for multi-band and multi-standard applications.
2. Behjou, N., T. Larsen, and M. Hoegdal, "Design of a simultaneous multi-band RF sub-sampling receiver," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest 2008, 5-8, Jun. 15-20, 2008.
3. Mitola, J., "The software radio architecture," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 33, No. 5, 26-38, May 1995.
4. Abidi, A. A., "Direct-conversion radio transceivers for digital communications," IEEE Journal of Solid-state Circuits, Vol. 30, No. 12, Dec. 1995.
5. Crols, J. and M. Steyaert, "Low-IF topologies for high-performance analog front-ends for fully integrated receivers," IEEE Journal of Solid-state Circuits, Vol. 45, No. 3, Mar. 1998.
6. Vaughan, R. G., N. L. Scott, and D. R. White, "The theorem of bandpass sampling," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 39, 1973-1984, Sep. 1991.
7. Grace, D. and S. P. Pitt, "Quadrature sampling of high frequency waveforms," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 44, 1432-1436, 1968.
8. DeVries, C. A. and R. D. Mason, "Subsampling architecture for low power receivers," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 55, No. 4, Apr. 2008.
9. Bassam, S. A., M. Helaoui, and F. Ghannouchi, De-interleaved direct down-conversion receiver for SDR applications, 2009 International Microwave Symposium (IMS 2009), 1661-1664, Boston, MA, USA, Jun. 7-12, 2009.
10. Razavi, B., "Design considerations for direct conversion receivers," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, Vol. 44, 428-435, Jun. 1997.
11. Kenington, P. B., RF and Baseband Techniques for Software Defined Radio, Artech House, Boston, 2005.
12. Crols, J. and M. Steyaert, CMOS Wireless Transceiver Design, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997.
13. Fang, S. J., A. Bellaouar, S. T. Lee, and D. J. Allstot, "An image-rejection down-converter for low-IF receivers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 2, 478-487, Feb. 2005.
14. Tseng, C.-H. and S.-C. Chou, "Direct downconversion of multiband RF signals using bandpass sampling," IEEE Trans. Wireless Communications, Vol. 5, No. 1, Jan. 2006.
15. Behbahani, F., Y. Kishigami, J. Leete, and A. A. Abidi, "CMOS mixers and polyphase filters for large image rejection," IEEE Journal of Solid-state Circuits, Vol. 36, No. 6, 873-887, Jun. 2001.
16. Schmidl, T. M. and D. C. Cox, "Robust frequency and timing synchronization for OFDM," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 45, No. 12, 1613-1621, Dec. 1997.