A compact CPW-fed slot antenna is proposed for dual-band wireless local area network (WLAN) operations. In this letter, electromagnetic band gap (EBG) structures with square-shaped lattices have been incorporated into the feed network for harmonic suppression. Experimental results show that EBG structures not only exhibit well-behaved band stop characteristics, but also enhance the bandwidth of the proposed antennas. For the proposed antenna with square-shaped lattices, the -10 dB return loss bandwidth could reach about 38.4% for the 2.4 GHz band and 23.8% for the 5 GHz band, which meet the required bandwidth specification of 2.4/5 GHz WLAN standard.
2. Wu, C. M., "Dual-band CPW-fed cross-slot monopole antenna for WLAN operation," IET Microwave and Antennas Propagation, Vol. 1, No. 2, 542-546, 2007.
3. Liu, C. P., J. C. Wu, and J.-C. Liu, "Modified stack inverted-F antenna with corner-truncated techniques for WLAN 2.4/5 GHz band applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, 2378-2381, 2006.
4. Liu, W. C., "Compact microstrip-line-fed ring monopole antenna with tuning strip for 5 GHz WLAN operation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, 831-832, 2005.
5. Yoon, J. H., "Fabrication and measurement of rectangular ring with open ended CPW-fed monopole antenna for 2.4/5.2-GHz WLAN operation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, 1480-1483, 2006.
6. Sze, J. Y., C. I. G. Hsu, and J. J. Jiao, "CPW-fed circular slot antenna with slit back-patch for 2.4/5 GHz dual-band operation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 10, 563-564, 2006.
7. Liu, W. C., "Broadband dual-frequency CPW-fed antenna with a cross shaped feeding line for WLAN application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 7, 1739-1744, 2007.
8. Liu, W. C., "Broadband dual-frequency meandered CPW-fed monopole Antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 21, 1319-1320, 2004.
9. Moon, J. I., D. U. Sim, and S. O. Park, "Compact PIFA for 2.4/5 GHz dual ISM-band applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 14, 642-643, 2004.
10. Horii, Y. and M. Tsutsumi, "Harmonic control by photonic band gap on microstrip patch antenna," Microwave Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 9, 13-15, 1999.
11. Fu, Y. Q., G. H. Zhang, and N. C. Yuan, "A novel PBG coplanar waveguide," Microwave Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 11, 447-449, 2001.