A planar, circular monopole antenna (PCMA) with satisfactory radiation characteristics over an ultra-broadband is demonstrated. Compared to the classical coplanar-waveguide (CPW) fed PCMA, the radiation characteristics of the proposed CPW-fed PCMA are significantly improved, particularly at the frequencies around the higher band edge. This improvement is achieved by exploiting a tapered and periodically corrugated edge design to the CPW ground plane. The tapered and corrugated ground-plane edge design, in essence, modifies the current distribution on the circular disc as well as along the edges of the ground plane. With this design, the cross polarization radiation is remarkably reduced, and the pattern deterioration, especially at the planes perpendicular to the plane of the antenna, is greatly alleviated. The demonstrated CPW-fed PCMA features an over 150 % VSWR=2 fractional bandwidth (0.81-5.87 GHz) and promises satisfactory radiation characteristics over the entire band. The proposed PCMA is poised for applications in wideband/ultra-wideband communication systems.
2. Yngvesson, K. S., T. L. Korzeniowski, Y.-S. Kim, E. L. Kolberg, and J. F. Johansson, "The tapered slot antenna --- A newintegrated element for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Technol., Vol. 37, No. 2, 365-374, 1989.
3. Muldavin, J. B. and G. M. Rebeiz, "Millimeter-wave tapered slot antenna on synthesized low permittivity substrates," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 47, No. 8, 1276-1280, 1999.
4. Chen, N.-W., C.-T. Chuang, and J.-W. Shi, "A W-band linear tapered slot antenna on rectangular-grooved silicon substrate," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 6, 90-92, 2007.
5. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, 1997.
6. Kraus, J. D. and R. J. Marhefka, Antennas: For All Applications, 3rd Ed., McGraw-Hill, 2002.
7. Agrawall, N. P., G. Kumar, and K. P. Ray, "Wide-band planar monopole antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 46, No. 2, 294-295, 1998.
8. Ammann, M. J. and Z. N. Chen, "Wideband monopole antennas for multi-band wireless systems," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 45, No. 2, 146-150, 2003.
9. Antonino-Daviu, E., M. Cabedo-Fabre's, M. Ferrando-Bataller, and A. Valero-Nogueira, "Wideband double-fed planar monopole antennas," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 23, 1635-1636, 2003.
10. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, 2005.
11. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parin, "Printed circular disc monopole antenna for ultra-wideband applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 20, 1246-1247, 2004.
12. Azenui, N. C. and H. Y. D. Yang, "A printed crescent patch antenna for ultrawideband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 6, 113-116, 2007.
13. Liang, J., L. Guo, C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of CPW-fed circular disc monopole antenna for ultrawideband applications," IEE Proceedings Microwaves Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 152, No. 6, 520-526, 2005.
14. Chung, K., T. Yun, and J. Choi, "Wideband CPW-fed monopole antenna with parasitic elements and slots," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 17, 1038-1040, 2004.
15. Wang, W., S.-S. Zhong, and S.-B. Chang, "A novel wideband coplanar-fed monopole antenna," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 43, 50-52, 2004.
16. Wu, Q., R. Jin, J. Geng, and M. Ding, "Compact CPW-fed quasicircular monopole with very wide bandwidth," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, 69-70, 2007.
17. Chen, N.-W., "A Magnetic frill source model for time-domain integral-equation based solvers," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 55, 3093-3098, 2007.