In the present paper notch loaded shorted microstrip patch antenna has been analysed using cavity model. The proposed antenna shows dual band operation which depends on notch dimensions as well as shorting wall. The frequency ratio is found to be 1.5278 for the notch loaded rectangular patch, while in notch loaded shorted patch, the frequency ratio varies from 2.9764 to 2.725 for increasing value of notch width and it is almost invariant with notch depth. Further a slot loaded shorted patch antenna shows the dual frequency nature with the frequency ratio1.7. The theoretical results are compared with IE3D simulation as well as reported experimental results.
2. Bhunia, S., D. Sarkar, S. Biswas, P. P. Sarkar, B. Gupta, and Yasumoto, "Reduced size small dual band multi-frequency microstrip antennas," Microwave Opti. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, 961-965, 2008.
3. Anasri, J. A., S. K. Dubey, P. Singh, R. U. Khan, and B. R. Vishvakarma, "Analysis of U-slot loaded patch for dual band operation," Int. J. of Microwave Opti. Technol. Lett., Vol. 3, 80-84, 2008.
4. Wong, K. L. and W. S. Chen, "Compact microstrip antenna with dual frequency operation," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, 646-647, 1997.
5. Maci, S. and G. B. Gentillin, "Dual frequency patch antenna," IEEE Antenna Propag. Mag., Vol. 39, 13-17, 1997.
6. Singh, A. K. and M. K. Meshram, "Slot loaded shorted patch antenna for dual band operation," Microwave Opti. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, 1010-1017, 2008.
7. Yoon, C., H. C. Sun, H.-C. Lee, and H.-D. Park, "Small microstrip patch antennas with short-pin using a dual band operation," Microwave Opti. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, 367-371, 2007.
8. Shackelford, A. K., S. Y. Leong, and K. F. Lee, "Small size probe fed notched patch antenna with shorting post," Microwave Opti. Technol. Lett., Vol. 31, 377-379, 2001.
9. Luc, K. F., Y. X. Guo, J. A. Hawkins, R. Chair, and K. M. Luc, "Theory and experiment on microstrip patch antenna with shorting walls," Microw. Antenna Propag. IEE Proc., Vol. 147, 521-525, 2000.
10. Chen, S. Y. and P. Hsu, "Broad band radial slot antenna fed by coplanar wave guide for dual frequency operation," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 53, 3444-3452, 2005.
11. Chen, H. M., "Single fed dual frequency rectangular microstrip antenna with a π-shaped slot," IEE Proc. Micro. Antennas Propag., Vol. 148, 60-64, 2001.
12. Maci, S., G. B. Gentillin, P. Piazzessi, and C. Salvador, "Dual band slot loaded patch antenna," IEE Proc. H Micro. Antennas Propag., Vol. 142, 225-232, 1995.
13. Chen, W. S., "Single fed dual frequency rectangular microstrip antenna with square slot," Electron. Lett., Vol. 34, 231-232, 1998.
14. Eldek, A., et al., "Square slot antenna for dual wideband wireless communication systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 12, 1571-1581, 2005.
15. Palit, S. K. and A. Hamadi, "Design and development of wide band and dual band microstrip antennas," IEE Proc. H Micro. Antennas Propag., Vol. 146, 35, 1999.
16. Bahal, I. J. and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Massachuaetts, 1980.
17. Zhang, X. X. and F. Yang, "Study of slit cut microstrip antenna and its application," Microwave Opti. Technol. Lett., Vol. 18, 297-300, 1998.
18. Bahal, I. J., Lumped Elements for RF and Microwave Circuits, Artech House, Boston, 2003.
19. Meshram, M. K. and B. R. Vishvakarma, "Gap-coupled microstrip array antenna for wide band operation," Int. J. Electronics, Vol. 88, 1161, 2001.
20. Pandey, V. K. and B. R. Vishvakarma, "Theoretical analysis of linear array antenna of stacked patches," Indian J. Radio & Space Phys., Vol. 3, 125-127, 2005.
21. Tsai, H.-S. and A. York Robert, "FDTD analysis of CPW fed folded slot and multiple slot antenna on thin substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 4, 217, 1996.
22. Wolf, E. A., Antenna Analysis, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 1988.
23. IE3D Simulation Software, Version 14.05 Zeland Software, Zeland Software, Inc., CA, 2008.
24. Guo, Y. X., K. M. Luk, and K. F. Lee, "Dual band slot loaded shorted patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 36, 289-291, 2000.