This paper presents the design of a compact rectangular dielectric resonator antenna (RDRA) for wireless applications. A metal plate has been attached to top surface of the RDRA to achieve significant reduction in the resonant frequency of the antenna. A simple microstrip feeding mechanism has been used to excite this compact rectangular DRA. Performance parameters such as resonant frequency, impedance bandwidth, and volume of this compact RDRA are compared with those of the conventional RDRA. Measured characteristics of these RDRAs are in good agreement with the simulated results. The size of the compact RDRA using a low dielectric constant (εr = 10.3) material resonant at 2.4 GHz is 30 mm × 10 mm × 6.3 mm with a ground plane size of 200 mm × 200 mm.
2. Petosa, A., Dielectric Resonator Antenna Handbook, Artech House, 2007.
3. Kranenburg, R. A. and S. A. Long, "Microstrip transmission line excitation of dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 24, No. 18, 1156-1157, Sep. 1988.
4. Makwana, G. D. and K. J. Vinoy, "A microstrip line fed rectangular dielectric resonator antenna for WLAN application," Proceeding of IEEE International Symposium on Microwave, 299-303, Dec. 2008.
5. Martin, J. T. H. S. T. and Y. M. M. Antar, "Dielectric resonator antenna using aperture coupling," IEEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 26, No. 24, 2015-2016, Nov. 1990.
6. Kranenburg, R. A., S. A. Long, and J. T. Williams, "Coplanar waveguide excitation of dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, 119-122, Jan. 1991.
7. Ittipiboon, A. and R. K. Mongia, "Theoretical and experimental investigation on rectangular dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 9, 1348-1356, Sep. 1997.
8. Sreekantan, S., Y. K. Ling, Z. A. Ahmad, M. F. Ain, M. B. Othman, and S. I. S. Hassan, "Simulation and excremental investigators on rectangular, circular, and cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 7, 151-166, 2009.
9. Ain, M. F., S. I. S. Hassan, J. S. Mandeep, M. A. Othman, and B. M. Nawang, "2.5 GHz BaTiO3 dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 201-210, 2007.
10. Mongia, R. K., "Reduced size metallized dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation International Symposium Digest, Vol. 4, 2202-2205, Canada, Jul. 1997.
11. Lee, M. T., K. K. Luk, K. W. Leung, and M. K. Leung, "A small dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, 1485-1487, Oct. 2002.
12. Saed, M. A. and R. Yadla, "Microstrip-fed low profile and compact dielectric resonator antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 151-162, 2006.
13. Nasimuddin and K. P. Esselle, "A low-profile compact microwave antenna with high gain and wide bandwidth," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1880-1883, Jun. 2007.
14. Nasimuddin and K. P. Esselle, "Antennas with dielectric resonators and surface mounted short horn for high gain and wide bandwidth," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1, No. 3, 723-728, Jun. 2007.
15. Tam, M. T. K. and R. D. Murch, "Half volume dielectric resonator antenna designs," IEEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, No. 23, 1914-1916, Nov. 1997.
16. Tam, M. T. K. and R. D. Murch, "Compact cylindrical sector dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1998 Digest, Vol. 6, 1958-1961, 1998.
17. Gao, Y., B. L. Ooi, W. B. Ewe, and A. P. Popov, "A compact wideband hybrid dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 4, 227-229, Apr. 2006.
18. Lim, E. H. and K. W. Leung, "Compact wideband circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna with an underlaid hybrid coupler," 2008 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, Jul. 5-12, 2008..
19. Chen, H. M., Y. F. Lin, C. H. Lin, and S. C. Lin, "Compact dual band hybrid dielectric resonator antenna," TENCON-2007, IEEE Region 10 Conference, 214-216, 2007.
20. Praveen Kumar, A. V., V. Hamsakutty, J. Yohannan, and K. T. Mathew, "Half split cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna for 2.4 GHz WLAN operation," 2006 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 997-1000, 2006.