By employing Microelectromechanical system (MEMS) technology, Fabry Perot Optical Tunable Filter (FPOTF) with hybrid tuning mechanism, varying d and altering incident angle is presented. The proposed structure consists of a floating dual membrane FPOTF with capability to be tuned at different light incident angles. Three electrostatic cavities have been designed to perform this task independently. This technique is capable to increase the tuning range up to 2/3 of capacitance gap with additional doubly range of incident angle. Optic, mechanic and electrostatic analysis of the proposed structure has been validated by simulation. Analysis in optical performance shows the tuning range enhancement is about 1.92% for +/-2o mirror tilting at 6o initial angle compared to conventional dual beam MEMS FPOTF. This analysis validates the principle of hybrid tuning method.
2. Robinson, K. C., "Single lense tunable wavelength division multiplexing Fabry Perot filter using MEMS technology," US 6,426,830 B1, 2002.
3. Verma, R. K., et al., "Tunable Fabry Perot interferometer using entropic materials," US 6,597,461 B1, 2003.
4. Chang, S. and S. C. Chang, "Fabry Perot optical filter device," US 6,700,706, US Patent, 2004.
5. Little, M. J., "Detunable Fabry Perot interferometer and add/drop multiplexer using the same," US 2003/0123125 A1, 2003.
6. Zhou, D. C. and S. J. Sheih, "Optical channel monitor using an angle tuned Fabry Perot optical filter," US 2003/0202799 A1, 2003.
7. Chang, S. and C. Y. Juan, "Method for finesse compensation in a Fabry Perot device and a Fabry Perot device with high finesse," US 2004/0100678 A1, 2004.
8. Verghese, P. M., "Dual membrane single cavity Fabry Perot MEMS filter," US 2005/0134962 A1, 2005.
9. Kanbara, N., et al., "Precisely tunable Fabry-Perot filter for optical communications," IEEE/LEOS International Conference on Optical MEMs, 173-174, 2002.
10. Saadany, B., et al., "Free space tunable add drop optical filters using vertical bragg mirrors on silicon," IEEE Journals of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Vol. 12, No. 6, 2006.
11. Ramam, A., et al., "MEMS tunable Fabry Perot optical filter," IEEE/LEOS International Conference on Optical MEMS and Their Applications Conference, 157-158, 2005.
12. Halbritter, H., et al., "MEM tunable and wavelength selective receiver front end," 18th IEEE International Conference on Micro. Electro. Mechanical Systems , 68-71, 2005.
13. Hohlfeld, D. and H. Zappe, "Micromachined tunable optical filters with optimized band pass spectrum," The 12th International Conference on Solid Sensors, Actuators and Micro. Systems, 2003.
14. Keating, A. J., et al., "Optical characterization of Fabry Perot MEMS filters integrated on tunable short-wave IR detectors," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 8, No. 9, 2006.
15. Daleiden, J.., et al., "Record wavelength tuning of 127nm for vertical cavity Fabry-Perot filter," IEEE/LEOS International Conference on Optical MEMs, 169-170, 2002.
16. Milne, J., et al., "Extended tuning range FP Etalon with doubly supported beam actuators," IEEE/LEOS International Conference on Optical MEMS and Their Applications Conference, 2006.
17. Chang, S. and C. H. Chang, "Method of manufacturing MEMS Fabry Perot devices," US 2004/0111856 A1, 2004.
18. Madhumita, D., et al., "Design of MEMS tunable novel monolithic optical filters in InP with horizontal bragg mirrors," Solid-State Electronics, Vol. 48, 2004.
19. Yun, S. S., K. W. Jo, and J. H. Lee, "Crystalline Si-based in-plane tunable FP filter with wide tunable range," International Conference on Optical MEMS, 77-78, 2003.
20. Huang, H., et al., "Mechanical design andfinite element modelling of tunable Fabry Perot MEMS structure for adaptive infrared detectors," IEEE Conference on Optoelectron. and Microelectron Mat. and Dev., 2004.
21. Bazu, M., et al., "Reliability assessment by virtual prototyping of MEMS tunable Fabry-Perot optical cavity," 2004 International Semiconductor Conference, CAS 2004 Proceedings, Vol. 1, 2004.
22. Flanders, D. C., P. S. Whitney, and M. F. Miller, "Flexible membrane for tunable Fabry-Perot filter," US 6,341,039 B1 US Patent, 2002.
23. Meissner, P., et al., "Micromachined two chips filters for WDM transmission system," 2002 IEEE/LEOS International Conference on Optical MEMs, 167-168, 2002.
24. Tucker, R. S. and W. V. Sorin, "Tunable Fabry-Perot filters and lasers," US 6,400,738 B1, 2002.
25. Tucker, R. S. and W. V. Sorin, "Optically tunable Fabry-Perot microelectromechanical resonator," US 6,714,565 B1, US Patent, 2004.
26. Taebati, P., et al., "Microelectromechanically tunable, confocal, vertical cavity surface emitting laser and Fabry Perot filter," US 2002/0031155 A1, US Patent, 2002.
27. Halbritter, H., et al., "Impact of micro. mechanics on the linewidth and chirp performance of MEMS VCSEL," IEEE Journals of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Vol. 13, No. 2, 2007.
28. Flanders, D. C., "Dual cavity MEMS tunable Fabry Perot filter," US 6,424,466 B1 US Patent, 2002.
29. Cook, C. C., "Dual band Fabry Perot mirror coating," US 2002/0181107 A1, US Patent, 2002.
30. Lu, L. J., "Tunable Fabry Perot filter," US 2004/0218865, 2004.
31. Atia, W. A., et al., "MEMS Fabry-Perot filter for integrated spectroscopy system," US 2006/0197958, 2006.
32. Iizuka, K., Elements of Photonics, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, 2002.
33. Ugural, A. C., Mechanical Design: An Integrated Approach, McGraw Hill, 2004.
34. Ngajikin, N. H., et al., "FEM simulation on MEMS FPOTF using aluminum metallic mirror," IEEE Fourth International Conference on Wireless and Optical Communication Networks, 2008.
35. Ngajikin, N. H., et al., "Modelling of MEMS FP OTF for wavelength tuning in CWDM application," IEEE International Conference on MEMS and Nanotechnology, 2008.
36. Anderson, D. E. and A. L. V. Brocklin, "Fabry Perot interferometer," US 7,061,681 B2, 2006.
37. Missey, et al., "Microelectromechanical tunable Fabry-Perot wavelength monitor with thermal actuators," US 2003/0053078 A1, 2003.
38. Spiegelberg, C. P., et al., "Erbium doped phosphate glass tunable single mode fiber laser using tunable Fabry Perot filter," US 2004/0196874 A1, 2004.
39. Hohlfeld, D., M. Epmeier, and H. Zappe, "Tunable thermo optic filter for WDM applications," The Fifteenth IEEE International Conference on Micro. Electro. Mechanical Systems, 2002.
40. Marty, F., et al., "High aspect ratio nano structures (HARNS) for photonic MEMs based on vertical DBR architecture," The 13th nternational Conference on Solid Sensors, Actuators and Micro. Systems, 2005.
41. Nakagawa, W. and Y. Fainman, "Tunable optical nanocavity based on modulation of near field coupling between sub-wavelength periodic nanostructure," EEE Journals of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 3, 2004.
42. Tucker, R. S., et al., "Tunable Fabry Perot filters and lasers using eedback to reduce frequency noise," US 6,538,748 B1, US Patent, 2003.
43. Tucker, R. S. and W. V. Sorin, "Tunable Fabry Perot filters and lasers using feedback to reduce frequency noise," US 6,724,785 B1, US Patent, 2004.
44. Tucker, R. S., et al., "Thermal noise and radiation pressure in MEMs Fabry Perot tunable filters and lasers," IEEE Journal on Selected Topics on Quantum Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 1, 2002.
45. Chang, S., "Fabry Perot device compensating for an error of full width at half maximum and method of making the same," US 2004/0075845 A1, 2004.
46. Bao, Y., "Waferless fiber Fabry-Perot filter," US 2004/0247244 A1, 2004.