The response of a two-layer structure of orthogonal coupled microstrip transmission lines illuminated by an external electromagnetic field has been studied. A simple model for the crosstalk region using lumped capacitance and inductance elements is used. The effect of the external EM field on the microstrip lines field in order to reach transmission line equations along the lines. The model is finally validated using the full wave analysis simulator, HFSS. Voltage and current along the lines obtained by the present method are in good agreement with the results of the full wave analysis (HFSS). The proposed model has been used for voltage and current in terminal ports up to 10 GHz. This method can be developed simply for multilayer structures.
2. Arshadi, A. and A. Cheldavi, "A simple and novel model for edged microstrip line (EMTL)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 233-259, 2006.
3. Cheldavi, A. and A. Arshadi, "A simple model for the orthogonal coupled strip lines in multilayer PCB: (Quasi-TEM approach)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 39-50, 2006.
4. Hashemi-Nasab, M. and A. Cheldavi, "Coupling model for the two orthogonal microstrip lines in two layer PCB board (quasi-TEM approach)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 153-163, 2006.
5. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M. and A. Cheldavi, "Optimum design of microstrip RF interconnections," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 12, 1707-1715, 2004.
6. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M. and A. Cheldavi, "Efficient interconnect design using grounded lines," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 9, 1289-1300, 2003.
7. Zhengorgr, T., F. Charles, and B. Peter, "Design of multilayer microwave coupled-line structures using thick-film technology,", University of Surrey Guildford.
8. Matsanaga, M., M. Katayama, and K. Yasumoto, "Coupled mode analysis of line parameters of coupled microstrip lines," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 24, 1-17, 1999.
9. Homentcovschi, D. and R. Oprea, "Analytically determined quasistatic parameters of shielded or open multiconductor microstrip lines ," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 1, 18-24, Jan. 1998.
10. Owens, D., "Accurate analytical determination of quasi-static microstrip line parameters," Radio and Electronic Engineer., Vol. 46, No. 7, 360-364, Jul. 1976.
11. Veit, W., H. Diestel, and R. Pregla, "Coupling of crossed planar multiconductor systems," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 30, No. 3, Mar. 1990.
12. Pan, G.-W., K. S. Olson, and B. K. Gilbert, "Frequency-domain solution for coupled striplines with crossing strips," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 39, No. 6, Jun. 1991.
13. Getsinger, W., "Microstrip dispersion model," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 21, 34-39, Jan. 1973.
14. Owens, R. P., "Predicted frequency dependence of microstrip characteristic impedance using the planar waveguide model," Electron. Lett., Vol. 12, 269-270, 1976.
15. Edwards, T., Foundation for Microstrip Design, Engalco, Knaresborough, UK, 1991.
16. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1990.
17. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics, John Wiley & Sons, 1989.
18. Collin, R. E., "Foundation for Microwave Engineering," McGraw-Hill, 1992.
19. Heer and C. Love, "Exact inductance equation for conductors with application to non-complicated geometries," J. Research National Bureau of Standards-C, Engineering Instrumentation, Vol. 69C, 127-137, 1965.
20. Taha, T. E. and M. Elkordy, "Study of biasing effects on coupled microstrip lines characteristics," International Symposium on Communications and Information Technologies, ISCIT'06, 906-909, Sep. 2006.
21. Fu, J.-H., Q. Wu, Y.-M. Qin, X.-M. Gu, and J.-C. Lee, "Quasi-static parameter analysis for arbitrary metallization thickness of RF MEMS coupled microstrip lines," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2B, 408-411, Jul. 2005.
22. Sun, S. and L. Zhu, "Guided-wave characteristics of periodically nonuniform coupled microstrip lines-even and odd modes," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, 1221-1227, Apr. 2005.
23. Muthana, P. and H. Kroger, "Behavior of short pulses on tightly coupled microstrip lines and reduction of crosstalk by using overlying dielectric," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 30, 511-520, Aug. 2007.
24. Mehdipour, A. and M. Kamarei, "Fast analysis of external field coupling to orthogonal interconnections in high-speed multilayer MMICs," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 49, 927-931, Nov. 2007.
25. Abegaonkar, M. P., H. Yu-Kang, and C. Young-Ki, "Field configurations for electromagnetically (EM) coupled microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 128-131, Jun. 22-27, 2003.
26. Tanaka, T., M. Ueyama, and M. Aikawa, "A push-push oscillator using coupled microstrip lines in common feedback loop," Microwave Conference, KJMW 2007, 137-140, Nov. 15-16, 2007.
27. Marimuthu, J. and M. Esa, "Wideband and harmonic suppression method of Parallel Coupled Microstrip Bandpass Filter using centered single groove," IEEE International Conference on Telecommunications and Malaysia International Conference on Communications, 622-626, May 14-17, 2007.
28. Filho, P. N. S., A. L. Bezzera, A. J. B. De Oliveira, and M. T. De Melo, "Frequency shifting using corrugated coupled microstrip lines," IEEE MTT-S International Conference, 47-50, Jul. 2005.
29. Enokihara, A., H. Yajima, M. Kosaki, H. Murata, and Y. Okamura, "Guided-wave electro-optic modulator using resonator electrode of coupled microstrip lines," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, 1671-1673, Nov. 2003.
30. Enokihara, A., H. Furuya, H. Yajima, M. Kosaki, H. Murata, and Y. Okamura, "60 GHz guided-wave electro-optic modulator using novel electrode structure of coupled microstrip line resonator," International Microwave Symposium, 2004 IEEE MTT-S, Vol. 3, 2055-2058, Jun. 6-11, 2004.
31. Subbiah, S. and A. Alphones, "Tunable isolator using a coupled microstrip line with an obliquely magnetised YIG substrate," IEE Proceedings | Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 150, 219-222, Aug. 2003.
32. Rahim, M. K. A., Z. W. Low, P. J. Soh, A. Asrokin, M. H. Jamaluddin, and T. Masri, "Aperture coupled microstrip antenna with different feed sizes and aperture positions," International RF and Microwave Conference, 31-35, Sep. 12-14, 2006.
33. Saksiri, W. and M. Krairiksh, "Lumped element model approach for the bandwidth enhancement of coupled microstrip antenna," Proceedings of the 2003 International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 1, 581-584, May 25-28, 2003.
34. Nickel, J. G. and J. E. Schutt-Aine, "Matched coupled microstrip transistor amplifier methodology," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 26, 361-367, Nov. 2003.
35. Qinjiang, R. and R. H. Johnston, "Modified aperture coupled microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 3397-3401, Dec. 2004.
36. Shih, C.-H., G.-H. Shiue, T.-L. Wu, and R.-B. Wu, "The effects on SI and EMI for differential coupled microstrip lines over LPC-EBG power/ground planes," Asia-Pacific Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility and 19th International Zurich Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 164-167, May 19-23, 2008.
37. Pan, Z. H. and J. H. Wang, "Design of the UWB bandpass filter by coupled microstrip lines with U-shaped defected ground structure," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, Vol. 1, 329-332, Apr. 21-24, 2008.
38. Sharma, A. K., R. Singh, and A. Mittal, "Wide band dual circularly polarized aperture coupled microstrip patch antenna with bow tie shaped apertures ," International IEEE Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 4, 3749-3752, Jun. 20-25, 2004.