We previously analyzed the effects of trapezoidal tapered gratings on the dispersive bistable characteristics of a quarter wavelength phase-shifted distributed feedback semiconductor laser amplifier (QWS-DFB-SLA). In this paper, we analyze the effects of coupling coefficient on the static bistable characteristics of a QWS-DFB SLA with a tapered or a non-tapered grating. Simulation results show that any change in the coupling coefficient can change the characteristics such as the spectral range of low-threshold bistable switching and the on-off switching contrast.
2. Sharfin, W. F. and M. Dagenais, "High contrast, 1.3mm optical and gate with gain," J. Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 48, 321-322, 1986.
3. Sharfin, W. F. and M. Dagenais, "Femtojoule optical switching in nonlinear semiconductor laser amplifiers," J. Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 48, 1510-1512, 1986.
4. Webb, R. P., "Error-rate measurements on an all-optically regenerated signal," J. Opt. Quantum, Vol. 19, 57-60, 1987.
5. Adams, M. J., H. J. O. Westlake, and M. J. Mahony, "Optical bistability in semiconductor laser amplifiers," Optical Nonlinearities and Instabilities in Semiconductors, H. Haug (ed.), Academic Press, San Diego, 1988.
6. Winfull, H. G., J. H. Marburger, and E. Garmire, "Theory of bistability in nonlinear distributed feedback structures," J. Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 35, 379-381, 1979.
7. Kawaguchi, H., K. Inoue, T. Matsuoka, and K. Otsuka, "Bistable output characteristics in semiconductor laser injection locking," IEEE J. of Quantum Electron., Vol. 21, 1314-1317, 1985.
8. Adams, M. J. and R. J. Wyatt, "Optical bistability in distributed feedback semiconductor laser amplifiers," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng., Vol. 134, 35-40, 1987.
9. Magari, K., H. Kawaguchi, M. Fukuda, and K. Oe, "Optical narrow-band filters using optical amplification with distributed feedback," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 24, 2178-2190, 1988.
10. Hui, R., "Static and dynamic properties of dispersive optical bistability in semiconductor lasers," J. Lightwave Technology, Vol. 13, 42-48, 1995.
11. Maywar, D. N. M. and G. P. Agrawal, "Transfer-matrix analysis of optical bistability in DFB semiconductor laser amplifiers with nonuniform gratings," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 33, 2029-2037, 1997.
12. Maywar, D. N. M. and G. P. Agrawal, "All-optical hysteresis control by means of cross-phase modulation in semiconductor optical amplifiers," J. Opt. Soc. Amer., Vol. 18, 1003-1013, 2001.
13. Hurtado, A., "Two-wavelength switching with a distributed feedback semiconductor optical amplifier," IEE Proc. Optoelectronics, Vol. 153, 21-27, 2006.
14. Aleshams, M., M. K. Moravvej-Farshi, and M. H. Sheikhi, "Tapered grating effects on static properties of a bistable QWS-DFB semiconductor laser amplifier," Solid State Electron., Vol. 52, 156-163, 2008.
15. Aleshams, M., M. K. Moravvej-Farshi, and M. H. Sheikhi, "Switching behavior of bistable DFB Semiconductor laser amplifiers," Fiber and Integrated Optics, Vol. 28, 275-287, 2009.
16. Ghafouri-Shiraz, H. and B. S. K. Lo, Distributed Feedback Laser Diodes: Principles and Physical Modeling, John Wiley & Sons, 1996.
17. Agrawal, G. P. and N. K. Dutta, Semiconductor Lasers, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1993.