In this paper, a simple and effective method for Through-The-Wall (TTW) life signs detection is introduced and discussed. To this aim, a Continuous Wave (CW) Microwave Transceiver working in X-Band is adopted. The detection procedure is based on the evaluation of correlation function in frequency domain between the measured and model signals. In order to ensure the reliability, proper background removal strategies are introduced. The effectiveness of the proposed approach is shown by processing experimental data collected in a realistic TTW scenario.
2. Lohman, B., O. Boric-Lubecke, V. M. Lubecke, P. W. Ong, and M. M. Sondhi, "A digital signal processor for Doppler radar sensing of vital signs," IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 21, 161-164, 2002.
3. Lin, J. C., "Microwave noninvasive sensing of physiological signatures," Electromagnetic Interaction with Biological Systems, J. C. Lin (ed.), 3-25, Plenum, New York, 1989.
4. Lin, J. C., "Microwave sensing of physiological movement and volume change: A review," Bioelectromagnetics, Vol. 13, 557-565, 1992.
5. Chen, K. M., Y. Huang, J. Zhang, and A. Norman, "Microwave life-detection systems for searching human subjects under earthquake rubble and behind barrier," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol. 27, 105-114, 2000.
6. Arai, I., "Survivor search radar system for persons trapped under earthquake rubble," Proc. of APMC2001, 663-667, Taiwan, 2001.
7. Pieraccini, M., G. Luzi, D. Dei, L. Pieri, and C. Atzeni, "Detection of breathing and heartbeat through snow using a microwave transceiver," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 5, No. 1, 57-59, 2008.
8. Ivashov, S. I., V. Razevig, A. Sheyko, and I. Vasileyev, "Detection of human breathing and heartbeat by remote radar," PIERS Proceedings, 663-666, Pisa, Italy, March 28-31, 2004.
9. Lubecke, V. M., O. Boric-Lubecke, A. Host-Madsen, and A. E. Fathy, "Through-the-wall radar life detection and monitoring," Proc. of Microwave Symposium 2007, 769-772, 2007.
10. Li, C. and J. Lin, "Random body movement cancellation in Doppler radar vital sign detection," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Th. Techn., Vol. 56, 3143-3152, 2008.
11. Zhou, Q., J. Liu, A. Host-Madsen, O. Boric-Lubecke, and V. Lubecke, "Detection of multiple heartbeats using Doppler radar," Proc. IEEE ICASSP 2006, 1160-1163, 2006.
12. Boric-Lubecke, O., V. Lubecke, A. Host-Madsen, D. Samardzija, and K. Cheung, "Doppler radar sensing of multiple subjects in single and multiple antenna systems," Proc. 7th Int. Conf. on Telecommunication in Modern Satellite, Cable and Broadcasting Services, 7-11, 2005.
13. [Online] Available at: http//www.icnirp.de.,.
14. Van Bladel, J. and D. Zutter, "Reflections from linearly vibrating objects: Plane mirror at normal incidence," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 29, 629-637, 1981.
15. Ho, M., "One-dimensional simulation of reflected em pulses from objects vibrating at different frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 239-248, 2005.