A compact dual-band high-impedance-surface EBG structure is employed as a reflector for a dual-band annular-slot antenna. The reflector comprises an array of miniaturized EBG cells which utilizes square patches augmented by four S-shaped corrugated arms to reduce the resonant frequency of the proposed EBG structure. In order to broaden the bandwidth and adjust the frequency ratio for the dualband EBG structure, a log-periodic spacing between the S-shaped strips is introduced. The combination of microstrip-fed annular slot and EBG reflector provides directional properties for both frequency bands with reduced size and low-profile.
2. Li, R. L., B. Pan, A. N. Traille, J. Papapolymerou, J. Laskar, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Development of a cavity-backed broadband circularly polarized slot/strip loop antenna with a simple feeding structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 2, 312-318, 2008.
3. Song, Y. M., J. C. Modro, Z. P. Wu, and P. O'Riordan, "Miniature multiband and wideband 3-D slot loop antenna for mobile terminals," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 148-151, 2006.
4. Irzinski, E. P., "The input admittance of a TEM excited annular slot antenna ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 23, No. 6, 829-835, 1975.
5. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Dual-frequency dual-sense circularly-polarized slot antenna fed by microstrip line," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 3, 645-649, 2008.
6. Roy, R. and V. F. Fusco, "Dielectric-loaded cavity-backed slot radiator analysis," IEE Proc.-Microwave, Antenna Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 3, 195-198, 2000.
7. Qu, S. W., J. L. Li, Q. Xue, and C. H. Chan, "Novel unidirectional slot antenna with a vertical wall," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 239-251, 2008.
8. Galejs, J. and T. W. Thompson, "Admittance of a cavity-backed annular slot antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 6, 671-678, 1962.
9. Elek, F., R. Abhari, and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A uni-directional ring-slot antenna achieved by using an electromagnetic band-gap surface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 181-190, 2005.
10. Li, L., X. J. Dang, B. Li, and C. H. Liang, "Analysis and design of waveguide slot antenna array integrated with electromagnetic band-gap structures," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 111-115, 2006.
11. Gao, C., Z. N. Chen, Y. Y. Wang, N. Yang, and X. M. Qing, "Study and suppression of ripples in passbands of series/parallel loaded EBG filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 4, 519-1526, 2006.
12. Liu, T. H., W. X. Zhang, M. Zhang, and K. F. Tsang, "Low profile spiral antenna with PBG substrate," Electronics Letters, Vol. 36, No. 9, 779-780, 2000.
13. Sievenpiper, D., L. J. Zhnag, R. F. Broas, N. G. Alexopolous, and E. Yablonovitch, "High-impedance electromagnetic surface with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, 1999.
14. Baggen, R., M. M. Vazquez, J. Leiss, S. Holzwarth, L. S. Drioli, and P. Maagt, "Low profile GALILEO antenna using EBG technology," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 3, 667-673, 2008.
15. Rea, S. P., D. Linton, E. Orr, and J. McConnell, "Broadband high-impedance surface design for aircraft HIRF protection," IEE Proc.-Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 153, No. 4, 307-313, 2006.
16. Simovski, C. R. and A. A. Sochava, "High-impedance surface based on self-resonant grids. analytical modelling and numerical simulations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 43, 239-256, 2003.
17. Folayan, O. and R. J. Langley, "Wideband reduced size electromagnetic bandgap structure," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 20, 1099-1100, 2005.
18. Bao, X. L., G. Ruvio, M. J. Ammann, and M. John, "A novel GPS patch antenna on a fractal Hi-impedance surface substrate," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 323-326, 2006.
19. Tehrani, H. and K. Chang, "Multifrequency operation of microstrip-fed slot-ring antennas on thin low-dielectric permittivity substrates," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 9, 1299-1308, Sep. 2002.