Modifying the rate equations of an injection-locked semiconductor laser, we have analyzed its optical bistability with the effect of frequency chirping of injected light. Comparison between the bistable steady-state characteristics of the laser in two cases: with and without frequency chirping is done by studying the effect of parameters such as frequency detuning, carrier injection rate, and cavity length. Then we have made a comparison between the bistable dynamic characteristics of the laser for these two cases. The results of the analysis show that the effect of frequency chirping on the bistability behavior is negligible.
2. Maywar, D. N. and G. P. Agrawal, "Robust optical control of an optical-amplifier-based flip-flop," Opt. Exp., Vol. 6, No. 3, 75-80, 2000.
3. Kim, Y. and J. H. Kim, "Broad-band all-optical flip-flop based on optical bistability in an integrated SOA/DFB-SOA," IEEE Photonics Tech. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 2, 398-400, 2004.
4. Nonaka, K. and Y. Noguchi, "Digital signal regeneration with side-injection-light-controlled bistable semiconductor laser as a wavelength converter," IEEE Photonics Tech. Lett., Vol. 7, No. 1, 29-31, 1995.
5. Lang, R., "Injection locking properties of a semiconductor laser," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electron., Vol. 18, No. 6, 976-983, 1982.
6. Kobayashi, K., H. Nishimoto, and R. Lang, "Experimental observation of asymmetric detuning characteristic in semiconductor laser injection locking," Electron. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 2, 54-56, 1982.
7. Kawaguchi, H. and K. Inoue, "Bistable output characteristics in semiconductor laser injection locking," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electron., Vol. 21, No. 9, 1314-1317, 1985.
8. Okada, M. and M. Hashimoto, "Optical multistability and wavelength switching of a Fabry-Perot semiconductor laser with multi-detuned light injections," Optical Review, Vol. 2, No. 5, 377-382, 1995.
9. Ghafary, B. and M. Okada, "Switching of a semiconductor laser with multi-detuned optical inputs by controlling injection current," Optical Review, Vol. 6, No. 3, 180-188, 1999.
10. Sivaprakasam, S., D. N. Rao, and R. S. Pandher, "Demonstration of negative hysteresis in an injection-locked diode laser," Optics Communications, Vol. 176, 191-194, 2000.
11. Won, Y. H., J. S. Cho, Y. D. Jeong, and N. L. Hoang, "All-optical flip-flops using injection-locked Fabry-Perot laser diodes," Photonics in Switching, Vol. 19-22, 147-148, 2007.
12. Sharfin, W. and M. Dagenais, "Dynamics of optically switched bistable diode laser amplifiers," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electron., Vol. 23, No. 3, 1987.
13. Li, L., "Static and dynamic properties of injection-locked semiconductor lasers," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electron., Vol. 30, No. 8, 1701-1708, 1994.
14. Li, L., "Unified description of semiconductor lasers with external light injection and its application to optical bistability," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electron., Vol. 30, No. 8, 1723-1731, 1994.
15. Guafouri-Shiraz, H. and B. S. K. Lo, Distributed Feedback Lasers Diodes, Wiley, New York, 1996.
16. Hui, R., "Static and dynamic properties of dispersive optical bistability in semiconductor lasers," IEEE Journal of Lightwave Tech., Vol. 13, No. 1, 42-48, 1995.