The strip-line frequency-domain technique for permeability measurement is compared to the field domain technique. The combined setup for microwave measurement of thin film permeability with both techniques is proposed. The field-domain technique is less affected by inhomogeneity of measurement strip cell and has significantly higher signal-to-noise ratio, but the obtained parameters are affected by film thickness and may differ from that of the frequency-domain technique. Analysis of the field-domain data obtained at a set of frequencies makes it possible to determine the saturation magnetisation, the anisotropy field and the damping factor without the knowledge of the amount of substance under study. In case of a simple permeability spectrum the data on metal thickness make it possible to estimate the effective skin-depth as well. The technique is tested by simulation and is applied to determine permeability of Fe-based films vacuum-sputtered on glassceramic and polymer substrates.
2. Neudecker, I., G. Woltersdorf, B. Heinrich, T. Okuno, G. Gubbiotti, and C. H. Back, "Comparison of frequency, field and time domain ferromagnetic resonance methods," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 307, 148, 2006.
3. Kalarickal, S. S., P. Krivosic, M. Wu, C. E. Patton, M. L. Shnider, P. Kabos, T. J. Silva, and J. P. Nibarger, "Ferromagnetic resonance linewidth in metallic thin films: Comparison of measurement methods," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 99, 093909, 2006.
4. Starostenko, S. N., K. N. Rozanov, and A. V. Osipov, "A broadband method to measure magnetic spectra of thin films," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 103, 07E914, 2008.
5. Getman, A., A. Sivov, N. S. Perov, I. T. Iakubov, K. N. Rozanov, I. A. Ryzhikov, and S. N. Starostenko, "Static and dynamic magnetic properties of Fe films," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 272-276, e909, 2004.
6. Iakubov, I. T., A. N. Lagarkov, S. A. Maklakov, A. V. Osipov, D. A. Petrov, K. N. Rozanov, and I. A. Ryzhikov, "Laminates of multi-layered Fe films for microwave applications," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 316, e813, 2007.
7. Starostenko, S. N. and K. N. Rozanov, "Resonantly enhanced strip-line technique to measure microwave permeability of thin films," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 2009.
8. Mason, S. J., "Feedback theory-some properties of signal flow graphs ," Proc. IRE, Vol. 41, 1144-1156, 1953.
9. Rozanov, K. N., N. A. Simonov, and A. V. Osipov, "Microwave measurements of the magnetic film permeability," J. Comm. Technology and Electronics, Vol. 47, No. 2, 210-216, 2002.
10. Adenot, A. L., O. Acher, D. Pain, F. Duverger, M.-J. Malliavin, D. Damiani, and T. Taffary, "Broadband permeability measurement of ferromagnetic thin films or microwires by a coaxial line perturbation method," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 98, No. 9, 5965-5967, 2000.
11. Lagarkov, A. N., K. N. Rozanov, N. A. Simonov, and S. N. Starostenko, "Microwave permeability of thin films," Handbook of Advanced Magnetic Materials, Vol. 4, Springer, 2005.
12. Lofland, S. E., H. Garcia-Miquel, M. Vazquez, and S. M. Bhagat, "Microwave magnetoabsorption in glass-coated amorphous microwires with radii close to skin depth," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 92, No. 4, 2058-2063, 2002.
13. Starostenko, S. N., K. N. Rozanov, and A. V. Osipov, "Microwave properties of composites with glass coated amorphous magnetic microwires," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 298, 56-64, 2006.
14. Acher, O., J. L. Vermeulen, A. Lucas, P. Baclet, J. Kazanjoglou, and J. C. Peuzin, "Direct measurement of permeability up to 3 GHz of co-based alloys under tensile stress," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 73, No. 10, 6162-6164, 1993.
15. Iakubov, I. T., A. N. Lagarkov, S. A. Maklakov, A. V. Osipov, K. N. Rozanov, I. A. Ryzhikov, V. V. Samsonova, and A. O. Sboychakov, "Microwave and static magnetic properties of multi-layered iron-based films," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, Vol. 321, 726-729, 2009.