This paper presents a novel multi-objective optimization of printed microstrip-fed monopole antenna for ultra wideband (UWB) applications. Two objective functions are minimized in this design: return loss and transient distortion. Using this method, a set of optimum antennas are achieved instead of a single design. Optimization is performed to reduce distortion in different scenarios. When distortion reduction only in E-plane or in both of E- and H-planes is considered, the obtained set of applying this algorithm dominates reported UWB antennas. Therefore, the obtained result provides a set of proper designs for UWB systems with random physical orientationt.
2. Sheng, H., P. Orlik, A. M. Haimovich, L. J. Cimini, and J. Zhang, "On the spectral and power requirements for ultra-wideband transmission," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Commun. (ICC), 738-742, 2003.
3. Liang, J., L. Guo, C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 2005.
4. Yang, X. S., K. F. Man, S. H. Yeung, J. L. Li, and B. Z. Wang, "Ultrawideband planar antenna optimized by a multi-objective evolutionary algorithm," Proc. IEEE Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 649-652, 2007.
5. Kerkhoff, A. J., R. L. Rogers, and H. Ling, "Design and analysis of planar monopole antennas using a genetic algorithm approach," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 10, 2079-2718, 2004.
6. Sun, S. and L. Zhu, "Unified equivalent circuit model of finite-ground microstrip line open-end discontinuities using MoM-SOC technique," IEICE Trans. Electron., Vol. E87-C, No. 5, 828-831, 2004.
7. Chamaani, S., S. A. Mirtaheri, and M. Aliyari, "Design of very thin wide band absorbers using particle swarm optimization," Proc. 12th International Symposium on Antenna and Applied Electromagnetic [ANTEM] and Canadian Radio Sciences [URSI/CNC] , 629-632, 2006.
8. Chamaani, S., S. A. Mirtaheri, and M. Aliyari, "Design of very thin wide band absorbers using modified local best particle swarm optimization," Int. J. Electron. Commun. (AEU), Vol. 62, 549-556, 2008.
9. Chamaani, S. and S. A. Mirtaheri, "Planar UWB monopole antenna optimization to enhance time-domain characteristics using PSO," Proc. International Symposium on Antenna and Propagation (ISAP 08), 553-556, 2008.
10. Kennedy, J. and R. Eberhart, "Particle swarm optimization," Proc. IEEE International Conference on Neural Network, 1942-1948, 1995.
11. Clerc, M. and J. Kennedy, "The particle swarm-explosion, stability, and convergence in multidimensional complex search space," IEEE Trans. Evolutionary Computattion, Vol. 6, No. 1, 58-73, 2002.
12. Shi, Y. and R. C. Eberhart, "Empirical study of particle swarm optimization," Proc. Congress of Evolutionary Computation (CEC99), Vol. 3, 1945-1950, 1999.
13. Coello, C. A. C., G. T. Pulido, and M. S. Lechuga, "Handling multiple objectives with particle swarm optimization," IEEE Trans. Evolutionary Computattion, Vol. 8, 256-279, 2004.
14. Farina, M., K. Deb, and P. Amato, "Dynamic multiobjective optimization problems: Test cases, approximation, and applications," Proc. Evolutionary Multi-Criterion Optimization, 311-326, 2003.
15. Goudos, S. and J. N. Sahalos, "Microwave absorber optimal design using multi-objective particle swarm optimization," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 8, 1553-1558, 2006.
16. Chamaani, S., S. A. Mirtaheri, M. Teshnehlab, M. Aliyari, and V. Seydi, "Modified multi-objective particle swarm optimization for electromagnetic absorber design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 353-366, 2008.
17. Telzhensky, N. and Y. Leviatan, "Novel method of UWB antenna optimization for specified input signal forms by means of genetic algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 8, 2216-2225, 2006.
18. Telzhensky, N. and Y. Leviatan, "Planar differential elliptical UWB antenna optimization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 11, 3400-3406, 2006.
19. Abbosh, A. M. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Design of ultrawideband planar monopole antennas of circular and elliptical shape," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 1, 17-23, 2006.