A new subspace method based on spatial-temporal structure is presented for estimation of directions-of-arrival (DOA's) and ranges of multiple near-field sources impinging on an array of sensors. The arrival angle and range parameters are directly given by the eigenvalues of a set of constructed matrices and the computational complexity of the proposed method is lower than those of several available methods which do not require search operation. Simulation results show that the proposed method outperforms an ESPRIT-like method.
2. Kim, J. H., I. S. Yang, K. M. Kim, and W. T. Oh, "Passive ranging sonar based on multi-beam towed array," Proc. IEEE Oceans, Vol. 3, 1495-1499, 2000.
3. Swindlelhurst, A. L. and T. Kailath, "Passive direction of arrival and range estimation for near-field sources," IEEE Spec. Est. and Mod. Workshop, 123-128, 1988.
4. Huang, Y. D. and M. Barkat, "Near-field multiple sources localization by passive sensor array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 39, 968-975, 1991.
5. Jeffers, R., K. L. Bell, and H. L. Van Trees, "Broadband passive range estimation using MUSIC," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Acoust. Speech, Signal Processing, Vol. 3, 2920-2922, 2002.
6. Starer, D. and A. Nehorai, "Path-following algorithm for passive localization of near-field sources," 5th ASSP Workshop on Spectrum Estimation and Modeling, 322-326, 1990.
7. Lee, J. H., C. M. Lee, and K. K. Lee, "A modified path-following algorithm using a known algebraic path," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 47, 1407-2409, 1999.
8. Lee, C. M., K. S. Yoon, and K. K. Lee, "Efficient algorithm for localising 3-D narrowband multiple sources," IEE Proc. Radar, Sonar Navig., Vol. 148, 23-26, 2001.
9. Weiss, A. J. and B. Friedlander, "Range and bearing estimation using polynomial rooting," IEEE J. Ocean. Engr., Vol. 18, 130-137, 1993.
10. Challa, R. N. and S. Shamsunder, "Higher-order subspace based algorithms for passive localization of near-field sources," Proc. 29th Asilomar Conf. Signals System Computer, 777-781, 1995.
11. Grosicki, E. and K. Abed-Meraim, "A weighted linear prediction method for near-field source localization," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Acoust. Speech, Signal Processing, 2957-2960, 2002.
12. Grosicki, E., K. Abed-Meraim, and Y. Hua, "A weighted linear prediction method for near-field source localization," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 53, 3651-3660, 2005.
13. Yuen, N. and B. Friedlander, "Performance analysis of higherorder ESPRIT for localization of near-field sources," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 46, No. 3, 709-719, 1998.
14. Jin, L., Q.-Y. Yin, and B.-F. Jiang, "Direction finding of wideband signals via spatial-temporal processing in wireless communications," Prof. IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 2, 81-84, 2000.
15. Deng, K., Q. Yin, L. Ding, and Z. Zhao, "Blind channel estimator for V-BLAST coded DS-CDMA system in frequency selective fading environment," Proc. IEEE VTC’2003 Fall, 458-462, 2003.
16. Stoica, P. and T. Soderatrom, "On estimating the noise power in array processing," Signal Processing, Vol. 26, No. 2, 205-220, 1992.