A directly modulated fiber-to-the-home (FTTH)/radio-over-fiber (ROF) transport system based on -1 side mode injection-locked and optoelectronic feedback techniques is proposed and demonstrated. Directly modulated baseband (BB) (622 Mbps) and radio frequency (RF) (622 Mbps/10 GHz) signals are successfully transmitted simultaneously over an-80 km standard single-mode fiber (SMF) transmission. Low bit error rate (BER) values and clear eye diagrams were achieved in our proposed systems. This demonstrated FTTH/ROF transport system is a promising candidate for broadband access networks.
2. Llorente, R., T. Alves, M. Morant, M. Beltran, J. Perez, A. Cartaxo, and J. Marti, "Ultra-wideband radio signals distribution in FTTH networks," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 20, 945-947, 2008.
3. Serdyuk, V. M., "Dielectric study of bound water in grain at radio and microwave frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 379-406, 2008.
4. Oraizi, H. and S. Hosseinzadeh, "A novel marching algorithm for radio wave propagation modeling over rough surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 57, 85-100, 2006.
5. Ikeda, K., T. Kuri, and K. Kitayama, "Simultaneous three band modulation and fiber-optic transmission of 2.5Gb/s baseband, microwave-, and 60 GHz band signals on a single wavelength," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 21, 3194-3202, 2003.
6. Lin, C. T., W. R. Peng, P. C. Peng, J. Chen, C. F. Peng, B. S. Chiou, and S. Chi, "Simultaneous generation of baseband and radio signals using only one single-electrode Mach-Zehnder modulator with enhanced linearity," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 18, 2481-2483, 2006.
7. Xia, G. Q., Z. M. Wu, and X. H. Jia, "Theoretical investigation on commanding the bistability and self-pulsation of bistable semiconductor laser diode using delayed optoelectronic feedback," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 23, 4296-4304, 2005.
8. Lu, H. H., W. S. Tsai, A. S. Patra, S. H. Tzeng, H. C. Peng, and H. L. Ma, "CATV/ROF transport systems based on -1 side mode injection-locked and optoelectronic feedback techniques," J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 10, 055309-1-055309-5, 2008.
9. Lu, H. H., C. L. Ying, W. I. Lin, Y. W. Chuang, Y. C. Chi, and S. J. Tzeng, "CATV/ROF transport systems based on light injection/optoelectronic feedback techniques and photonic crystal fiber," Opt. Commun., Vol. 273, 389-393, 2007.
10. Lin, C. T., W. R. Peng, P. C. Peng, J. Chen, C. F. Peng, B. S. Chiou, and S. Chi, "Simultaneous generation of baseband and radio signals using only one single-electrode Mach-Zehnder modulator with enhanced linearity," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 18, 2481-2483, 2006.
11. Hong, Y. and K. A. Shore, "Locking characteristics of a side-mode injected semiconductor laser," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 35, 1713-1717, 1999.
12. Murakami, A., K. Kawashima, and K. Atsuki, "Cavity resonance shift and bandwidth enhancement in semiconductor lasers with strong light injection," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 39, 1196-1204, 2003.
13. Zaman, T. R. and R. J. Ram, "Modulation of injection locked lasers for WDM-PON applications," OFC/NFOEC 2008, JThA100, 2008.
14. Saboureau, P., J. P. Foing, and P. Schanne, "Injection-locked semiconductor lasers with delayed optoelectronic feedback," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 33, 1582-1591, 1997.
15. Wang, J., M. K. Haldar, and F. V. C. Mendis, "Formula for two-tone and third-order intermodulation distortion in semiconductor laser diodes," Electron. Lett., Vol. 29, 1341-1343, 1993.
16. Lau, E. K. and M. C. Wu, "Amplitude and frequency modulation of the master laser in injection-locked laser systems," IEEE International Topical Meeting, Vol. MC-29, 142-145, 2004.