In this paper, theoretical and simulation studies on rectangular and annular dielectric resonator antenna (DRA) made of TiO2 was reported. The ceramic was fabricated by solid state reaction at 1200oC. The structural and dielectric properties were investigated by X-Ray Diffraction (XRD), Field Emission Electron Microscopy (FESEM) and network Analyzer. The XRD results showed the presence of rutile phase and the microstructure comprised of fine grain (0.2-0.5 μm) and large grain 1.0-1.5 μm. The rectangular and annular shape TiO2 DRA with high dielectric constant (ε=84) and low loss tangent (0.080) were fed with 50Ω microstrip transmission line and comparision between the various shape were investigated. The return loss, input impedance and radiation pattern TiO2 DRA was studied. Design simulation results using CST Microwave Studio 2008 also was presented.
2. Huang, Y. C., M. C. Wu, T. H. Chang, J. F. Kiang, and W. F. Su, "Broadband DR antenna made of high-Q ceramic," Journal of the European Ceramic Society, Vol. 27, 2841-2844, 2007.
3. Ain, M. F., S. I. S. Hassan, J. S. Mandeep, M. A. Othman, B. M. Nawang, S. Sreekantan, S. D. Hutagalung, and Z. A. Ahmad, "2.5GHz BaTiO3 dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 201-210, 2007.
4. De Young, C. S. and S. A. Long, "Wideband cylindrical and rectangular dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, No. 1, 426-429, 2006.
5. Guha, D. and Y. M. M. Antar, "New half-hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna for broadband monopole-type radiation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 12, 3621-3628, 2006.
6. Kishk, A., H. A. Auda, and B. C. Ahn, "Radiation characteristics of cylindrical resonant antenna with new applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Newsletter, Vol. 31, No. 1, 7-16, 1989.
7. Larsen, N. V. and O. Breinbjerg, "Analysis of circularly polarized hemispheroidal dielectric resonator antenna phased arrays using the method of auxiliary sources," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 8, 2163-2173, 2007.
8. Kishk, A. A., A. W. Glisson, and G. P. Junker, "Bandwidth enhancement for split cylindrical dielectric resonator antennas," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 15, No. 6, 777-778, 2001.
9. Kishk, A. A., Y. Yin, and A. W. Glisson, "Conical dielectric resonator antennas for wideband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, 469-474, April 2002.
10. Kishk, A. A., H. A. Auda, and B. C. Ahn, "Radiation characteristics of cylindrical dielectric resonator antennas with new applications," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 31, No. 1, 7-16, 1989.
11. Kishk, A. A., "Dielectric resonator antenna, a candidate for radar applications," IEEE Radar Conference, 2003, 258-264, Huntsville, Alabama, 2003.
12. Junker, G. P., A. A. Kishk, and A. W. Glisson, "Input impedance of dielectric resonator antennas excited by a coaxial probe," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, 960-966, 1994.
13. Petosa, A., R. Larose, A. Ittipiboon, and A. Cuhaci, "Microstrip fed array of multisegment dielectric resonator antennas," IEE Proc.-Microwave Antennas Propag., Vol. 144, 472-476, 1997.
14. Mridula, S., S. K. Menon, P. Mohanan, P. V. Bijumon, and M. T. Sebastian, "Characteristics of a microstrip excited high-permittivity rectangular dielectric resonator antenna," Microwave Optical Technol. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 4, 316-318, 2004.
15. Malekabadi, S. A. and M. H. Neshati, "Circular polarized dielectric resonator antennas using a single probe feed," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 3, 81-94, 2008.
16. Sreekantan, S., Y. K. Ling, Z. A. Ahmad, M. F. Ain, S. I. S. Hassan, and M. A. Othman, "Structural characterization and performance of dielectric antenna made of TiO2," Journal European Ceramic Society.
17. Antar, Y. M. M., "New directions in antenna research using dielectrics," Radio Science Conference, 2003. 1RSC 2003. Proceedings of the Twentieth Lational, 1-11, Cairo, Egypt, 2003.
18. Kumar Mongia, R. and A. Ittipiboon, "Theoretical and experimental investigations on rectangular dielectric resonator antennas," Antennas and Propagation, IEEE Transactions on, Vol. 45, No. 9, 1348-1356, 1997.
19. Tam, M. T. K. and R. D. Murch, "Compact circular sector and annular sector dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 5, 837-842, 1999.
20. Petosa, A., Dielectric Resonator Antenna Handbook, Artech House, Bolton, 2007.
21. Rezaei, P., M. Hakkak, and K. Forooraghi, "Design of wide-band dielectric resonator antenna with a two-segment structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 111-124, 2006.