In this paper, a novel corrugated structure at the edges of the Vivaldi substrate is presented. Compared with the Vivaldi antenna without corrugated structure, the new structure has a better radiation pattern. While compared with the traditional corrugated structure, the new structure has a better front-to-back ratio (F/B ratio). Properly chosen thickness and dielectric constant of substrate ensure a relatively small size while the lower frequency is around 1 GHz. A Vivaldi structure also promises high gain in ultra-wideband (UWB) range. For its planar structure, the antenna is easily fabricated with a low cost. The design of a novel Vivaldi antenna described in this paper operates from 1 GHz to more than 3 GHz with -10 dB return loss and produce the gain with a range of 7 dBi~11 dBi. The current design is one of the most ideal antennas to be used for through-wall radar.
2. Attiya , A. M., A. Bayram, A. Safaai-Jzai, and S. M. Riad, "UWB applications for through-wall detection," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Soc. Symp., Vol. 3, 1868-1875, April 2000.
3. Falconer, D. G., R. W. Ficklin, and K. G. Konolige, "Robot-mounted through-wall radar for detecting, locating, and identifying building occupants," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics Automations, Vol. 2, 1868-1875, April 2000.
4. Gibson, P. J., "The vivaldi aerial," Proc. 9th Eur. Microwave Conf., 101-105, June 1979.
5. Sugawara, S., Y. Maita, K. Adachi, K. Mori, and K. Mizuno, "Charateristics of a mm-wave tapered slot antenna with corrugated edges," Microwave Symposium Digest, 1998 IEEE MTT-S International, Vol. 2, 533-536, June 7-12, 1998.
6. Rizk, J. B. and G. M. Rebeiz, "\Millimeter-wave Fermi tapered slot antennas on micromachined silicon substrates," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 3, March 2002.
7. Gazit, E., "Improved design of the vivaldi antenna," IEE Proc. Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation,, Vol. 35, 89-92, April 1988.
8. Kim, S. G. and K. Chang, "Ultra wideband exponentially-tapered antipodal Vivaldi antennas," IEEE AP-S, 2273-2276, 2004.
9. Qing, X. M. and Z. N. Chen, "Antipodal Vivaldi antenna for UWB applications," EuroEM.-UWB SP7, 2004.
10. Yang, Y., Y. Wang, and A. E. Fathy, "Design of compact vivaldi antenna arrays for UWB see through wall applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 401-418.