This paper describes a novel dual-band patch antenna on organic magnetic substrate for wireless local area networks (WLAN) wireless communication (at 2.4 and 5 GHz). The dual-band operation is obtained by embedding a pair of L-shaped slots. The magnetic material is adopted because the substrate can reduce the size of antenna 40%, comparing with rectangular microstrip antennas on normal dielectric substrate, and have wider bandwidths for both bands. Details of the proposed antenna design are presented and discussed, which can be a candidate for the requirement of WLAN, operating in 2.4 and 5 GHz.
2. Zhong, S.-S. and J.-H. Cui, Compact circularly polarized microstrip antenna with magnetic substrate, Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2002, IEEE, Vol. 1, 793-796, 2002.
3. He, F. and Z. Wu, "Modelling of a slot loop antenna on magnetic material substrate," International Workshop on Antenna Technology: Small and Smart Antennas Metamaterials and Applications, 2007. IWAT'07, 412-415, Mar. 21--23, 2007.
4. Xiao, C. and Q. Feng, "A new patch antenna with magnetic substrate for active RFID card," Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing, 2007. WiCom 2007, 2097-2100, 2007.
5. Svezhentsev, A. Y., "Some far field features of cylindrical microstrip antenna on an electrically small cylinder," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 223-244, 2008.
6. Abbaspour, M. and H. R. Hassani, "Wideband star-sharped microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 61-68, 2008.
7. Gao, S. C., L. W. Li, and M. S. Leong, "Small dual-frequency micro-strip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 51, No. 1, 28-36, 2002.
8. Lu, J.-H., "Broadband dual-frequency operation of circular patch antennas and arrays with a pair of L-shaped slots," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 5, 1018-1023, 2003.
9. Guo, Y.-X., I. Ang, and M. Y. W. Chia, "Compact internal multiband antennas for mobile handsets," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, 143-146, 2003.
10. Zheng, Y.-S. and S.-J. Fang, "Dual-band rectangular patch antenna with a pair of L-shaped slots for WLAN application," IEEE International Symposium on Microwave, Antenna, Propagation and EMC Technologies for Wireless Communication, Vol. 1, 185-187, 2005.
11. Huff, G. H., K. H. Pan, and J. T. Bernhard, "Analysis and design of broad-band single-layer rectangular U-slot microstrip patch antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 3, 457-468, 2003.
12. Verma, A. K. and Z. Rostamy, "Resonance frequency of uncovered and covered rectangular microstrip patch using modified Wolff model ," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 41, 109-116, Jan. 1993.