The reflection and transmission coefficients of multilayer structures are computed by the Transmission Line Transfer Matrix Method (TLTMM) and it is shown that metamaterials (MTMs) act as frequency selective surfaces (FSSs). Several examples of multilayer structures are analyzed, which are composed of combination of common materials and MTMs with dispersion relations. Interesting and uncommon behaviors are observed for MTMs. Novel applications are treated by TLTMM and a matrix method.
2. Oraizi, H. and M. Afsahi, "Analysis of planar dielectric multilayers as FSS by transmission line transfer matrix method (TLTMM)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 217-240, 2007.
3. Alu, A. and N. Engheta, "Pairing an epsilon-negative slab with a mu-negative slab: Resonance, tunneling and transparency," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2558-2571, 2003.
4. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley Interscience, 2006.
5. Kong, J. A., "Electromagnetic wave interaction with stratified negative isotropic media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 1-52, 2002.
6. Qing, A. and C. K. Lee, "An improved model for full wave analysis of multilayered frequency selective surface with gridded square element," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 30, 285-303, 2001.
7. Cory, H. and C. Zach, "Wave propagation in metamaterial multilayered structures," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 6, 460-465, 2004.
8. Zhang, Y., T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "Propagation of electromagnetic waves in a slab with negative permittivity and negative permeability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 271-286, 2001.
9. Oraizi, H. and M. Afsahi, "Determination of correct values for propagation constant, intrinsic impedance and refraction index of metamaterials," IEEE Applied Electromagnetic Conference, AEMC, 1-4, Kolkata, India, 2007.
10. Oraizi, H. and M. Afsahi, "Determination of correct values for propagation constant, intrinsic impedance and refraction index of metamaterials," IEEE Int. Conf. Applied Electromagnetic, Vol. 1, 1-4, India, 2007.
11. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, W. J. Stewart, and I. Youngs, "Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic mesostructures," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 76, No. 25, 4773-4776, 1996.
12. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory. Tech., Vol. 47, No. 18, 2075-2084, 1999.
13. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, No. 18, 4184-4187, 2000.
14. Cory, H., S. Shiran, and M. Heilper, "An iterative method for calculating the shielding effectiveness and light Transmittance of multilayered media," IEEE Trans. Electrogagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 35, No. 4, 451-456, 1993.
15. Gerardin, J. and A. Lakhtakia, "Negative index of refraction and distributed Bragg reflectors," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 34, No. 6, 409-411, 2002.
16. Knott, E. F., J. F. Shaeffer, and M. T. Tuley, Radar Cross Section, Artech House, London, 1993.
17. Mosallaei, H. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "RCS reduction of canonical targets using genetic algorithm synthesized RAM," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propagat., Vol. 48, 1594-1606, 2000.
18. Mackay, A. J., "The theory and design of provably optimal bandwidth radar absorbent materials (RAM) using dispersive structures and/or frequency selective surfaces (FSS)," ICEAA Int. Conf. Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications, 3-8, Torino, Italy, 2007.
19. Terracher, F., G. Berginc, T.-C. Optronique, and R. Guyancourt, "Thin electromagnetic absorber using frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Int. Conf. Antennas Propagat. Society, 846-849, Salt Lake, USA, 2000.
20. Besso, P., M. Bozzi, L. Perregrini, L. Salghetti Drioli, and W. Nickerson, "Deep space antenna for Rosetta mission: Design and testing of the S/X-band dichroic mirror," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat, Vol. 51, No. 3, 388-394, 2003.
21. Besso, P, M. Bozzi, M. Formaggi, S. Germani, and L. Perregrini, "S/X/Ka-band dichroic mirrors for deep-space antennas," IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 4, 372-375, 2005.
22. Bertoni, H., L.-H. Cheo, and T. Tamir, "Frequency-selective reflection and transmission by periodic dielectric layer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagat., Vol. 37, No. 1, 78-83, 1989.
23. Wu, T. K., Frequency Selective Surface and Grid Array, Wiley, New York, 1995.
24. Wu, T. K., "Cassini frequency selective surface development," J. Electromagn. Waves Applicat., Vol. 8, No. 12, 1547-1561, 1994.
25. Romeu, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Fractal FSS: A novel dual-band frequency selective surface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas Propagat., Vol. 48, No. 7, 1097-1105, 2000.