The present study was conducted to evaluate the information leakage of the display image that can be reconstructed using the electromagnetic interference emitted from a computer. A reconstructed image was generated from the information signal that correlated with the switching of the RGB signals of the computer display. Based on this observation, a measurement method and system for the information signal was developed by displaying an image with vertical stripes. To check the validity of this measurement method and system, test measurements were carried out. The test result revealed that the information signal can be detected in the electromagnetic interference. In addition, the information signal was found to be contained in high volume between 300 and 600 MHz, depending on the receiving frequency band.
2., "X.1051: Information Security Management System — Requirements for Telecommunications (ISMS-T),", International Telecommunication Union — Telecommunication Standardization Sector (ITU-T), 2004.
3. Van Eck, W., "Electromagnetic radiation from video display units: An eavesdropping risk?," Computers and Security, Vol. 4, No. 4, 269-286, 1985.
4. Kuhn, M. G. and R. J. Anderson, "Soft tempest: Hidden data transmission using electromagnetic emanations," Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Information Hiding, Portland, USA, April 1998.
5. Zhuang, L., F. Zhou, and J. D. Tygar, "Keyboard acoustic emanations revisited," Proceeding of the 12th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security, New York, USA, November 2005.
6. Kuhn, M. G., Filtered-tempest fonts, Available: http://www.c1.cam.ac.uk/mgk25/st-font.zip..
7. Beyond IT Co., Ltd., CrypType, Available: http://CrypType.com.
8. Suzuki, Y., R. Kobayashi, M. Masugi, K. Tajima, and H. Yamane, "Development of countermeasure device to prevent leakage of information caused by unintentional PC display emanations," Proceeding of the EUROEM 2008 European Electromagnetics, Lausanne, Switzerland, July 2008.
9. Sekiguchi, H. and S. Seto, "Proposal of information signal measurement method in display image contained in electromagnetic noise emanated from a personal computer," Proceeding of the 2008 IEEE International Instrummentation & Measurement Technology Conference , Victoria, Canada, May 2008.
10. Sekiguchi, H., "A measurement and evaluation method of a display image signal contained in electromagnetic emanation from a personal computer," Transaction of IEICE, Vol. J91-B, No. 11, 1478-1483, 2008 (in Japanese).
11., "Monitor Timing Specifications, Version 1.0, Revision 0.8,", Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA), 1998.