This paper presents a reconfigurable of multiple element microstrip rectangular linear array antenna integrated with radio frequency (RF) switches. The corporate feed design concept is used to excite the linear array antenna that consists of 8 elements of rectangular patches at 5.8 GHz. Two PIN diode switches were deployed at the feeding line to activate the two arrays of patches that is located on the left and right side of the antenna structure. The behavior of the reconfigurable multiple element linear antenna array system has been investigated with respect to the beam shaping characteristic. The comparisons of the performance between two structures, with Wilkinson Power Divider (WPD) and without WPD are discussed in this paper. Two different beam patterns were achieved through the reconfigurable antenna at different number of elements design that incorporates with PIN diode switches and modified WPD concept. The simulations and the measurement results for 4 and 8 elements array antenna structure are presented.
2. Madany, Y. M., "The analysis of wideband conformal microstrip array antenna with cosecant-squared beam shaping," 2006 IEEE Conference on Radar, 208-214, 2006.
3. Kiriazi, J., H. Ghali, H. Ragaie, and H. Haddara, "Reconfigurable dual-band dipole antenna on silicon using series MEMS switches," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1, 403-406, 2003.
4. Mak, A. C. K., C. R. Rowell, R. D. Murch, and C. L. Mak, "Reconfigurable multiband antenna designs for wireless communicacommunication," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 1919-1928, 2007.
5. Christodoulou, C. G., D. Anagnostou, and V. Zachou, "Lead invited talk: Reconfigurable multifunctional antennas," IEEE, 176-179, 2006.
6. Simons, R. N., Novel on-wafer radiation pattern measurement technique for MEMS actuator based reconfigurable patch antennas, Technical Report, 24th Annual Antenna Measurement Techniques Association Meeting and Symposium, NASA/TM2002-211816 NASA, Glenn Research Center, Cleveland, Ohio, 2002.
7. Pringle, L. N., P. G. Friederich, S. P. Blalock, G. N. Kiesel, and G. S. Smith, "GTRI reconfigurable aperture design," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1, 473-476, 2002.
8. Yang, F., X.-X. Zhang, X. Ye, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Wide-band E-shaped patch antennas for wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, 1094-1100, 2001.
9. Peroulis, D., K. Sarabandi, and L. P. B. Katehi, "Design of reconfigurable slot antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas IEEE Transactions on Antennas, Vol. 53, 645-654, 2005.
10. Medeiros, C., A. Castela, J. Costa, and C. Fernandes, Evaluation of modelling accuracy of reconfigurable patch antennas , ConfTele, Vol. 1, 13-16, Peniche, Portugal, May 2007.
11. Pringle, L. N., P. H. Harms, S. P. Blalock, G. N. Kiesel, E. J. Kuster, P. G. Friederich, R. J. Prado, J. M. Morris, and G. S. Smith, "A reconfigurable aperture antenna based on switched links between electrically small metallic patches," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 1434-1445, 2004.
12. Panagamuwa, C. J., A. Chauraya, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Frequency and beam reconfigurable antenna using photoconducting switches," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, 449-454, 2006.
13. Cetiner, B. A., H. Jafarkhani, J.-Y. Qian, H. J. Yoo, A. Grau, and F. De Flaviis, "Multifunctional reconfigurable MEMS integrated antennas for adaptive MIMO systems ," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 24, 67-70, 2004.
14. Weedon, W. H., W. J. Payne, and G. M. Rebeiz, "MEMS-switched reconfigurable antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Int. Symp., 654-657, Salt Lake City, UT, Jul. 2001.
15. Zendejas, J. M., J. P. Gianvittorio, Y. Rahmat-Samii, and J. W. Judy, "Magnetic MEMS reconfigurable frequency-selective surfaces," Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 15, 613-623, 2006.
16., "BAP51-02General Purpose PIN Diode," Phillips Technologies Data Sheet, 2006.
17. James, J. R. and P. S. Hall, "Handbook of Microstrip Antennas," Peter Peregrinus Ltd., Vol. 2, London, United Kingdom, 1989.
18. Lee, K. F. and W. Chen, "Advanced in Microstrip and Printed Antennas," John Wiley & Son, Inc, 1997.