A novel method for direction-of-arrival (DOA) estimation is proposed. This technique employs the excellent performance of Bartlett method in coherent environments as well as high resolution and low computational complexity of Beamspace MUSIC. Simulation results show that the use of Beamspace MUSIC with Bartlett yields significantly improved performance compared to the original MUSIC especially in highly correlated situations.
2. Mukhopadhyay, M., B. K. Sarkar, and A. Chakrabarty, "Augmentation of anti-jam GPS system using smart antenna with a simple DOA estimation algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 231-249, 2007.
3. Varlamos, P. K. and C. N. Capsalis, "Electronic beam steering using switched parasitic smart antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 36, 101-119, 2002.
4. Mouhamadou, M., P. Armand, P. Vaudon, and M. Rammal, "Interference supression of the linear antenna arrays controlled by phase with use of SQP algorithm ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 251-265, 2006.
5. Qu, Y., G. Liao, S. Q. Zhu, X. Y. Liu, and H. Jiang, "Performance analysis of beamforming for MIMO radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 123-134, 2008.
6. Schmidt, R. O., A signal subspace approach to multiple emitter location and spectral estimation, Stanford Univ., Stanford, CA, 1981.
7. Roy, R. and T. Kailath, "ESPRIT-estimation of signal parameters via rotational invariance techniques," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 32, No. 7, 984-995, July 1989.
8. Balanis, C. A. and P. I. Ioannides, Introduction to Smart Antennas , Morgan & Claypool, 2007.
9. Shan, T. J., M. Wax, and T. Kailath, "On spatial smoothing for direction of arrival of coherent sources," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 33, 806-811, Aug. 1985.
10. Bachl, R., "The forward-B awkward averaging technique applied to TLS-ESPRIT processing," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 43, No. 11, Nov. 1995.
11. Mahmoud, K. R., M. El Adawy, S. M. M. Ibrahem, R. Bansal, and S. H. Zainud-Deen, "A comparison between circular and hexagonal array geometries for smart antenna systems using particle swarm optimization algorithm ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 75-90, 2007.
12. Gozasht, F., G. R. Dadashzadeh, and S. Nikmehr, "A comprehensive performance study of circular and hexagonal array geometries in the LMS algorithm for smart antenna applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 281-296, 2007.
13. Rocca, P., L. Manica, and A. Massa, "Directivity optimization in planar sub arrayed monopulse antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 1-7, 2008.
14. Lee, J. H. and S. H. Jo, "On initialization of ML DOA cost function for UCA," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 3, 91-102, 2008.
15. Mathews, C. P. and M. D. Zoltowski, "Eigen structure techniques for 2-D angle estimation with uniform circular arrays," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 42, No. 9, September 1994.
16. Godara, L. C., Smart Antennas, CRC Press, 2004.
17. Krim, H. and M. Viberg, "Two decades of array signal processing research," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, July 1996.
18. Xu, G., S. D. Silverstein, R. H. Roy, and T. Kailath, "Beamspace ESPRIT," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 42, No. 2, 349-356, Feb. 1994.
19. Zoltowski, M. D., G. M. Kautz, and S. D. Silverstein, "Beamspace root — MUSIC," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing , Vol. 41, No. 1, 344-364, Jan. 1993.
20. Lee, H. B. and M. D. Zoltowski, "Resolution threshold of beamspace MUSIC for two closely spaced emitters," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 38, No. 9, Sept. 1990.
21. Gupta, J. and A. A. Ksienski, "Effect of mutual coupling on the performance of adaptive arrays," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. AP-31, No. 5, Sep. 1983.