We study the influence of atmospheric turbulence on satellite communication by the theoretical analysis of propagation characteristics of electromagnetic waves through inhomogeneous random media. The analysis is done by using the moment of wave fields given on the basis of a multiple scattering method. We numerically analyze the degree of the spatial coherence (DOC) of electromagnetic waves on a receiving antenna and the bit error rate (BER) of the Geostationary Earth Orbit (GEO) satellite communication in Ka-band at low elevation angles on the assumption that the spatial coherence of received waves decreases and spot dancing only occurs. In this analysis, we consider the Gaussian and the Kolmogorov models for the correlation function of inhomogeneous random media. From the numerical analysis, we find that the increase in BER for the uplinkcomm unication is caused by the decrease in the average intensity due to spot dancing of received beam waves and that the increase in BER for the downlinkcomm unication is caused by the decrease in DOC of received beam waves. Furthermore, we find that the decrease in DOC of received waves and the increase in BER becomes much more in the Kolmogorov model than in the Gaussian model.
2. Fante, R. L., "Electromagnetic beam propagation in turbulent media," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 63, No. 12, 1669-1692, 1975.
3. Tateiba, M., "Analysis of antenna gain reduction due to inhomogeneous fluctuations of random media," 1984 International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 1, 474-478, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, New York, 1984.
4. Tateiba, M. and T. Yokoi, "Analysis of antenna gain reduction due to ionospheric and atmospheric turbulence," Proceedings of ISAP’85, 711-714, 1985.
5. Yamada, K., K. Fujisaki, and M. Tateiba, "Analysis of the bit error due to the arrival-angle fluctuation in Ka-band satellite turbulent channels ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 16, No. 8, 1135-1151, 2002.
6. Tateiba, M., "Mechanism of spot dancing," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 23, No. 4, 493-496, 1975.
7. Tateiba, M., "Multiple scattering analysis of optical wave propagation through inhomogeneous random media," Radio Science, Vol. 17, No. 1, 205-210, 1982.
8. Tateiba, M., "Some useful expression for spatial coherence functions propagated through random media," Radio Science, Vol. 20, No. 5, 1019-1024, 1985.
9. Ishimaru, A., Wave Propagation and Scattering in Random Media, IEEE Press, 1997.
10. Zhang, S. and J. Jin, Computation of Special Functions, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1996.
11. Andrews, L. C. and R. L. Phillips, Laser Beam Propagation through Random Media, SPIE Press, 2005.
12. Wheelon, A. D., Electromagnetic Scintillation II. Weak Scattering, Cambridge University Press, 2003.