In this paper, planar multilayered antireflection coatings composed of isotropic and dispersive common materials and metamaterials (DPS, DNG, ENG, and MNG) are designed and optimized at Ku band under circularly polarized oblique plane wave incidence by a full-wave method and combination of the method of least squares (MLS), genetic algorithm (GA) and conjugate gradients (CG). The body on which the coating is applied may be selected as PEC, plexiglas, or any other material. As a result a new class of radar absorbing materials (RAM) are obtained, which may be effectively used for antireflection coatings. Furthermore, guidelines are presented for the selection of correct signs for the real and imaginary parts of propagation constant k and intrinsic impedance η.
2. Chen, X. J. and X. W. Shi, "Comments on a formula in radar cross section," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 15, 2389-2394, 2007.
3. Berenger, J.-P., "A perfectly matched layer for the absorption of electromagnetic waves," Journal of Computational Physics, 114-185, 1994.
4. Chew, W. C. and W. H. Weedon, "A 3D perfectly matched medium from modified Maxwell’s equations with stretched coordinates," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 7, No. 13, 599-604, 1994.
5. Chew, W. C., J. M. Jin, and E. Michielssen, "Complex coordinate stretching as a generalized absorbing boundary condition," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 6, 363-369, 1997.
6. Jancewicz, B., "Plane electromagnetic wave in PEMC," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 5, 647-659, 2007.
7. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Soviet Physics Uspekhi, Vol. 10, No. 4, 509-514, 1968.
8. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Low frequency plasmons in thin-wire structures," J. Phys. Condens. Matter, Vol. 10, 4785-4809, 1998.
9. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. on Micr. Theory. Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, 1999.
10. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 84, No. 18, 4184-4187, 2000.
11. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley Interscience , New Jersey, 2006.
12. Chen, H., B. I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Review of electromagnetic theory in left-handed materials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 15, 2137-2151, 2006.
13. Engheta, N. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "A positive future for doublenegative metamaterials," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1535-1556, 2005.
14. Lu, J., B. I. Wu, J. A. Kong, and M. Chen, "Guided modes with a linearly varying transverse field inside a left-haned dielectric slab," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 5, 689-697, 2006.
15. Villa-Villa, F., J. Gaspar-Armenta, and A. Mendoza-Suarez, "Surface modes in one dimensional photonic crystals that include left handed materials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 4, 485-499, 2007.
16. Manzanares-Martinez, J. and J. Gaspar-Armenta, "Direct integration of the constitutive relations for modeling dispersive metamaterials using the finite difference time-domain technique," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 15, 2297-2310, 2007.
17. Ghaffari-Miab, M., A. Farmahini-Farahani, R. Faraji-Dana, and C. Lucas, "An efficient hybrid swarm intelligence-gradient optimization method for complex time Green’s functions of multilayer media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 181-192, 2007.
18. Yla-Oijala, P., M. Taskinen, and J. Sarvas, "Multilayered media Green’s functions for MPIE with general electric and magnetic sources by the Hertz potential approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 33, 141-165, 2001.
19. Naqvi, Q. A. and A. A. Rizvi, "Fractional solutions for the Helmholtz’s equation in a multilayered geometr," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 21, 319-335, 1999.
20. Yin, W. Y., G. H. Nan, and I. Wolff, "The combined effects of chiral operation in multilayered bianisotropic substrates," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 20, 153-178, 1998.
21. Berginc, G., C. Bourrely, C. Ordenovic, and B. Torresani, "A numerical study of absorption by multilayered biperiodic A numerical study of absorption by multilayered biperiodic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 19, 199-222, 1998.
22. Shaarawi, A. M., I. M. Besieris, A. M. Attiya, and E. El-Diwany, "Reflection and transmission of an electromagnetic Xwave incident on a planar air-dielectric interface: Spectral analysis ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 30, 213-249, 2001.
23. Asole, F., L. Deias, and G. Mazza, "A flexible fullwave analysis of multilayered AMC using an aperture oriented approach," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 14, 2059-2072, 2007.
24. Guney, K., C. Yildiz, S. Kaya, and M. Turkmen, "Synthesis formulas for multilayer homogeneous coupling structure with ground shielding ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 14, 2073-2084, 2007.
25. Kong, J. A., "Electromagnetic wave interaction with stratified negative isotropic media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 1-52, 2002.
26. Tah-Hsiung, C., "Polarization effects on microwave imaging of dielectric cylinder," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 36, No. 9, 1366-1369, 1988.
27. Oraizi, H. and A. Abdolali, "Ultra wide band RCS optimization of multilayerd cylinderical structures for arbitrarily polarized incident plane waves," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 129-157, 2008.
28. Rahmat-Samii, Y. and E. Michielssen, Electromagnetic Optimization by Genetic Algorithms, Wiley, New York, 1999.
29. Tian, Y.-B. and J. Qian, "Ultra-conveniently finding multiple solutions of complex transcendental equations based on genetic algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 4, 475-488, 2006.
30. Zhai, Y. W., X. W. Shi, and Y. J. Zhao, "Optimized design of ideal and actual transformer based on improved micro-genetic algorithm ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 13, 1761-1771, 2007.
31. Oraizi, H., "Application of the method of least squares to electromagnetic engineering problems," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 48, No. 1, 50-75, 2006.
32. Michielssen, E., J.-M. Sajer, S. Ranjithan, and R. Mittra, "Design of lightweight, broad-band microwave absorbers using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 41, No. 67, 1024-1031, 1993.
33. Oraizi, H. and A. Abdolali, "Combination of MLS, GA & CG for the reduction of RCS of multilayered cylindrical structures composed of dispersive metamaterials ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 227-253, 2008.
34. Cory, H. and C. Zach, "Wave propagation in metamaterial multilayered structures," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 40, No. 6, 460-465, 2004.