The generation of the picture out of the SAR raw data is a computational intensive task. Both range compression and azimuth compression utilized Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) algorithms and Inverse Fast Fourier Transform (IFFT) in order to perform convolution with respective reference signal. Thus FFT and IFFT occupied about 70% of the total computation operation in SAR image formation. In this paper a modified algorithm based on conventional FFT is proposed to optimize the computation performance. It is shown that the proposed algorithm can essentially achieve better performance with minimum computational burden compare to conventional FFT.
2. Drinkwater, M. K., R. Kwok, and E. Rignot, "Synthetic aperture radar polarimetry of sea ice," Proceeding of the 1990 International Geoscience and Remmote Sensing Symposium, Vol. 2, 1525-1528, 1990.
3. Lynne, G. L. and G. R. Taylor, "Geological assessment of SIRB imagery of the amadeus basin," IEEE Trans.on Geosc.and Remote Sensing, Vol. 24, No. 4, 575-581, 1986.
4. Hovland, H. A., J. A. Johannessen, and G. Digranes, "Slick detection in SAR images," Proceeding of the 1994 International Geoscience and Remmote Sensing Symposium, 2038-2040, 1994.
5. Walker, B., G. Sander, M. Thompson, B. Burns, R. Fellerhoff, and D. Dubbert, "A high-resolution, four-band SAR Testbed with real-time image formation," Proceeding of the 1986 International Geoscience and Remmote Sensing Symposium, 1881-1885, 1996.
6. Storvold, R., E. Malnes, Y. Larsen, K. A. Hogda, S.-E. Hamran, K. Mueller, and K. Langley, "SAR remote sensing of snow parameters in norwegian areas — Current status and future perspective," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1751-1759, 2006.
7. Kong, J. A., S. H. Yueh, H. H. Lim, R. T. Shin, and J. J. van Zyl, "Classification of earth terrain using polarimetric synthetic aperture radar images ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 3, 327-370, 1990.
8. Chan, Y. K. and V. C. Koo, "An introduction to synthetic aperture radar (SAR)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 27-60, 2008.
9. Soumekh, M., Synthetic Aperture Radar Signal Processing, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1999.
10. Cumming, I. G. and F. H. Wong, Digital Processing of Synthetic Aperture Radar Data: Algorithms and Implementation, Artech House, Boston, 2005.
11. Chang, C. Y., M. Jin, and J. C. Curlander, "Squint mode processing algorithm," Proc.IGARSS’89 , 1702-1706, 1989.
12. Cumming, I. G., Y. L. Neo, and F. H. Wong, "Interpretations of the Omega-K algorithm and comparisons with other algorithms ," Proc.IGARSS’2003, 1455-1458, 2003.
13. Franceschetti, G. and R. Lanari, Synthetic Aperture Radar Processing, CRC Press LLC, 1999.
14. Raney, R. K., H. Runge, R. Bamler, I. G. Cumming, and F. H. Wong, "Precision SAR processing using chirp scaling," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing, Vol. 32, No. 4, 786-799, 1994.
15. Ofanidis, S. J., Introduction to Signal Processing, Prentice Hall , New Jersey, 1996.
16. Porat, B., A Course in Digital Signal Processing , John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1997.
17. Smith, W. W. and J. M. Smith, Handbook of Real-time Fast Fourier Transforms: Algorithms to Product Testing, IEEE Press, New York, 1995.
18. Narasimhan, S. V. and S. Veena, Signal Processing: Principles and Implementation, Alpha Science International Ltd., New Delhi, 2005.