Antenna array design techniques are focused on two main classes: uniformly spaced antenna arrays and the non-uniform spacing case. These include techniques based on mathematical programming, such as constrained programming and non-linear programming. More recently, meta-heuristics approaches have been successful at designing antenna arrays . In this work, this paper presents efficient methods of genetic algorithm (GA), memetic algorithm (MA) and tabu search algorithm (TSA) for the synthesis of linear antenna design. We present three examples of antenna array design to compare the efficiency of the algorithms through simple design to complex design. The GA, TSA and MA has been used to optimize the spacings between the elements of the linear array to produce a radiation pattern with minimum SLL and null placement control.
2. Akdaglι, A., "Tabu Arastιrma ve Karιnca Koloni Optimizasyon Algoritmalarιile Anten Dizilerinde Demet Sekillendirme ve Diagram Sιfιrlama," Doctorate Thesis, December 2002.
3. Guney, K. and M. Onay, "Amplitude only pattern nulling of linear antenna arrays with the use of Bees algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 21-36, 2007.
4. Khodier, M. M. and C. G. Christodoulou, "Linear array geometry synthesis with minimum side lobe level and null control using particle swarm optimization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 8, August 2005.
5. Karaboga, D., K. Guney, and A. Akdagli, "Antenna array pattern nulling by controlling both amplitude and phase using modified touring ant colony optimization algorithm," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 91, No. 4, 241-251, 2004.
6. Dreo, J., A. Petrowski, P. Siarry, and E. Taillard, Metaheuristics for Hard Optimization, Springer, Germany, 2006.
7. Guney, K. and A. Akdaglı, "Null steering of linear antenna arrays using a modified tabu search algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 33, 167-182, 2001.
8. Haupt, R. L., "Genetic algorithm: Design of antenna arrays ,", U.S. Government Work.
9. Lastname, F. M., "Title of the conference paper," Proceedings of International Conference, 1064-1076, August 2003.
10. Udina, A., N. M. Martin, and L. C. Jain, "Linear antenna array optimisation by genetic means," Third International Conference on Knowledge-Based Intelligent Information Engineeing Systems Adelaide, Australia, Sept. 1999.
11. Guney, K., A. Akdaglı, and D. Karaboga, "Antenna array pattern nulling by controlling both amplitude and phase using modified touring ant colony optimization algorithm," Int. J. Electronics, Vol. 91, No. 4, 241-251, April 2004.
12. Taskιn, A., "Cizgisel, Duzlemsel ve Dairesel anten Dizilerinde Genetik Algoritma Kullanarak Oruntu Sekillendirme,", Y License Thesis, Hacettepe University, Ankara, 2003.
13. Lebret, H. and S. Boyd, "Antenna array pattern synthesis via convex optimization," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 45, No. 3, March 1997.
14. Gunes, F. and U. Ozkaya, "Parcacιk Suru Optimizasyonu Tabanlι Lineer Dizi Anten Tasarιmι," SDU15. Yιl Muhendislik Mimarlιk Sempozyumu, 2007.
15. Hsu, C. H., W. J. Shyr, and C. H. Chen, "Adaptive pattern nulling design of linear array antenna by phase-only perturbations using memetic algorithms," IEEE Proceedings of First International Conference on Innovative Computing, Information and Control (ICICIC), 2006.