This article aims to study the behavior of Constant False Alarm Rate (CFAR) detectors for a heterogeneous Weibull clutter and its derivatives. CFAR architectures based on exploitation of the Combined Environmental Knowledge Base (CEKB) have been proposed, called Knowledge Based Systems-Maximum Likelihood-CFAR (KBS-ML-CFAR) and KBS-Log-t-CFAR for nonhomogeneous Weibull clutter at general parameters. A CFAR architecture that uses Geographic Information System (GIS) as a Knowledge Base (KB), called KBS-Forward Automatic Order Selection Ordered Statistics-CFAR (KBS-FAOSOS-CFAR) has been proposed for special Weibull parameters. The performances of the proposed detectors have been studied and analyzed by conducting MATLAB simulations. The simulation results show that the KBS-CFAR based on CEKB outperforms the ML and Log-t-CFAR in terms of clutter edge detection capability in nonhomogeneous Weibull clutter case. Compared with other KB, this KBS-CFAR based on CEKB performs well to preserve the probability of false alarm (Pfa) at a desired constant value. For special Weibull parameters, the proposed KBS-FAOSOS-CFAR based on GIS performs better than KBS-Dynamic-CFAR and KBS-Adaptive Linear Combined-CFAR (KBS-ALC-CFAR) in severe interference case. CFAR techniques have been implemented on the ADSP (Advanced Digital Signal Processor) processing board, and the results have been evaluated and discussed.
2. Conte, E., A. De Maio, and C. Galdi, "Statistical analysis of real clutter at different range resolutions," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 40, No. 3, 903-918, 2004.
3. Hong, S. W. and D. S. Han, "Performance analysis of an environmental adaptive CFAR detector," Mathematical Problems in Engineering, Vol. 2014, 2014.
4. Kononov, A. A., J.-H. Kim, J.-K. Kim, and G. Kim, "A new class of adaptive CFAR methods for nonhomogeneous environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 64, 145-170, 2015.
5. Zaimbashi, A., "An adaptive cell averaging-based CFAR detector for interfering targets and clutter-edge situations," Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 31, 59-68, 2014.
6. Abbadi, A., H. Bouhedjeur, A. Bellabas, T. Menni, and F. Soltani, "Generalized closed-form expressions for CFAR detection in heterogeneous environment," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 15, No. 7, 1011-1015, 2018.
7. Zhang, X., R. Zhang, W. Sheng, X. Ma, Y. Han, J. Cui, and F. Kong, "Intelligent CFAR detector for non-homogeneous weibull clutter environment based on skewness," IEEE Radar Conference (RadarConf 18), 0322-0326, 2018.
8. Kamal, M. S. and J. Abdullah, "New algorithm for multi targets detection in clutter edge radar environments," Indonesian Journal of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Vol. 18, No. 1, 420-427, 2020.
9. Bandiera, F., O. Besson, D. Orlando, G. Ricci, and L. L. Scharf, "GLRT-based direction detectors in homogeneous noise and subspace interference," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 55, No. 6, 2386-2394, 2007.
10. Ciuonzo, D., A. De Maio, and D. Orlando, "A unifying framework for adaptive radar detection in homogeneous plus structured interference --- Part II: Detectors design," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 64, No. 11, 2907-2919, 2016.
11. Ciuonzo, D., A. De Maio, and P. S. Rossi, "A systematic framework for composite hypothesis testing of independent Bernoulli trials," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 22, No. 9, 1249-1253, 2015.
12. Jiang, W., Y. Huang, G. Cui, and J. Yang, "Positive definite matrix space based detector with limited training samples for multiple target situations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 60, 141-156, 2017.
13. Skolnik, M. I., Introduction to Radar Systems, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2001.
14. Farina, A. and F. A. Studer, "A review of CFAR detection techniques in radar systems," Microwave Journal, Vol. 29, 115, 1986.
15. Trunk, G. V., "Radar properties of non-Rayleigh sea clutter," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 8, No. 2, 196-204, 1972.
16. Ward, K. D., "Compound representation of high resolution sea clutter," Electronics Letters, Vol. 17, No. 16, 561-563, 1981.
17. Chan, H. C., "Radar sea-clutter at low grazing angles," IEE Proceedings F --- Radar and Signal Processing, Vol. 137, No. 2, 102-112, 1990.
18. De Maio, A., A. Farina, and G. Foglia, "Knowledge-aided Bayesian radar detectors & their application to live data," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 46, No. 1, 170-183, 2010.
19. Sekine, M., Y. Mao, and Y. H. Mao, Weibull Radar Clutter, IET, 1990.
20. Hongsen, X. and Z. Kun, "CFAR detector using GIS information," 2010 Second IITA International Conference on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 2, 272-274, 2010.
21. Pourmottaghi, A., M. R. Taban, and S. Gazor, "A CFAR detector in a nonhomogenous Weibull clutter," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 48, No. 2, 1747-1758, 2012.
22. Kong, L., X. Y. Peng, and T. Zhang, "A homogenous reference cells selector for CFAR detector in highly heterogeneous environment," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 41, 175-188, 2013.
23. Song, H., S. Lu, W. Yi, and L. Kong, "CFAR detector based on clutter partition in heterogeneous background," 2015 IEEE China Summit and International Conference on Signal and Information Processing (ChinaSIP), 288-291, 2015.
24. Lu, S., W. Yi, G. Cui, L. Kong, and X. Yang, "Design and application of dynamic environmental knowledge base," IET Radar, Sonar & Navigation, Vol. 10, No. 16, 1118-1126, 2016.
25. Lu, S., W. Yi, W. Liu, G. Cui, L. Kong, and X. Yang, "Data-dependent clustering-CFAR detector in heterogeneous environment," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 54, No. 1, 476-485, 2017.
26. Darrah, C. A. and D. W. Luke, "Site-specific clutter modeling using DMA digital terrain elevation data (DTED), digital feature analysis data (DFAD), and Lincoln Laboratory five frequency clutter amplitude data," Proceedings of the 1996 IEEE National Radar Conference, 178-183, 1996.
27. Kurekin, A., D. Radford, K. Lever, D. Marshall, and L. K. Shark, "New method for generating site- specific clutter map for land-based radar by using multimodal remote-sensing images and digital terrain data," IET Radar, Sonar & Navigation, Vol. 5, No. 3, 374-388, 2011.
28. Guerci, J. R. and E. J. Baranoski, "Knowledge-aided adaptive radar at DARPA: An overview," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 23, No. 1, 41-50, 2006.
29. Marconcini, M., T. Esch, A. Felbier, and W. Heldens, "High-resolution global monitoring of urban settlements," Proc. of REAL CORP, 1-5, 2013.
30. Goldstein, G. B., "False-alarm regulation in log-normal and Weibull clutter," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 9, No. 1, 84-92, 1973.
31. Ravid, R. A. F. I. and N. A. D. A. V. Levanon, "Maximum-likelihood CFAR for Weibull background," IEE Proceedings F --- Radar and Signal Processing, Vol. 139, No. 3, 256-264, 1992.
32. Weiss, M., "Analysis of some modified cell-averaging CFAR processors in multiple-target situations," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 18, No. 1, 102-114, 1982.
33. Rohling, H., "Radar CFAR thresholding in clutter and multiple target situations," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 19, No. 4, 608-621, 1983.
34. Hansen, V. G. and J. H. Sawyers, "Detectability loss due to "Greatest Of" selection in a cell-averaging CFAR," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 16, No. 1, 115-118, 1980.
35. De Maio, A., A. Farina, and G. Foglia, "Design and experimental validation of knowledge-based constant false alarm rate detectors," IET Radar, Sonar & Navigation, Vol. 1, No. 4, 308-316, 2007.
36. Rouabah, A., H. Zeraoula, M. H. Hamadouche, and K. Tourche, "Proposal for a radar detection architecture based on the knowledge based systems exploitation," International Conference on Electrical Engineering and Control Applications, 1047-1060, 2019.
37. Magaz, B., A. Belouchrani, and M. Hamadouche, "A new adaptive linear combined CFAR detector in presence of interfering targets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 34, 367-387, 2011.
38. Magaz, B., A. Belouchrani, and M. Hamadouche, "Automatic threshold selection in OS-CFAR radar detection using information theoretic criteria," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 30, 157-175, 2011.
39. Gandhi, P. P. and S. A. Kassam, "Analysis of CFAR processors in nonhomogeneous background," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 24, No. 4, 427-445, 1988.
40. Qu, Y. and N. C. Karmakar, "Novel CFAR detection," International Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, 366-369, 2004.
41. El Mashade, M. B., "Analysis of CFAR detection of fluctuating targets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 2, 65-94, 2008.
42. Analog Devices, TigerSHARC embedded processors, Dec. 2006.