Double Elliptical Micro-strip Patch Antenna (DEMPA) is a newer family of patch antennas which possesses higher design flexibility and has greater potential for getting miniaturized than Elliptical Micro-strip Patch Antenna (EMPA). The DEMPA is made out of a Double Elliptical Patch (DEP) which is designed as a combination of two half-elliptical patches either with a common minor axis and two different semi-major axes or with a common major axis and two different semi-minor axes. There are only two design parameters for an EMPA, its semi-major axis and semi-minor axis, whereas a DEMPA has three because of either two different semi-major axes or two different semi-minor axes. A parametric study is required to understand the relationship among these three design parameters and antenna characteristics such as return loss, impedance, resonant frequency and gain. The present work is a statistical study, using the concept of Design of Experiments (DOE), of the impact of these design parameters on the return loss at resonant frequency within the frequency band of 8.50 GHz-10.55 GHz which has been earmarked for radiolocation applications by regulating agency. The Central Composite Design (CCD) technique in the Response Surface Methodology (RSM) of DOE has been employed here to develop empirical relationship between the design parameters and response variable. Numerical models were developed using Ansoft's HFSS as per the design matrix provided by Minitab. The concept of DOE helped to establish statistically significant parametric relationship between the design parameters and antenna return loss with the minimum amount of design effort. The predictive ability of regression model was confirmed by using numerical models of two DEMPAs that were not utilized to build the empirical relationship, one among which had been fabricated, tested and reported in literature.
2. Donelli, M., T. Moriyama, and M. Manekiya, "A compact switched-beam planar antenna array for wireless sensors operating at Wi-Fi band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 83, 137-145, 2018.
3. Hansen, R. C., "32-antennas," Reference Data for Engineers, 9th Edition, W. M. Middleton and M. E. Van Valkenburg, Eds., 32–1, Woburn, Newnes, 2002.
4. Donelli, M. and F. Robol, "Circularly polarized monopole hook antenna for ISM-band systems," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 60, No. 6, 1452-1454, 2018.
5. Khan, M. U., M. S. Sharawi, and R. Mittra, "Microstrip patch antenna miniaturisation techniques: A review," IET Microw. Antennas Amp Propag., Vol. 9, No. 9, 913-922, Mar. 2015.
6. Jose, J. V., A. Shobha Rekh Paulson, and M. J. Jose, "Double-Elliptical shaped miniaturized microstrip patch antenna for ultra-wide band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 97, 95-107, 2019.
7. Jose, J. V., A. Shobha Rekh Paulson, and M. J. Jose, "Double-Elliptical micro-strip patch antenna for higher design flexibility and miniaturization," Int. J. Eng. Adv. Technol., Vol. 9, No. 1, 6970-6976, Oct. 2019.
8. Valentın, E. and R. A. Rodrıguez-Solıs, "Characterization of a cavity-backed capacitively-fed folded slot antenna using DOE techniques," 2014 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1499-1500, Jul. 2014.
9. Naishadham, K., "Design of experiments as a microwave CAD tool," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 5, 1020-1024, 2010.
10. Saleem, M. M. and A. Soma, "Design of experiments based factorial design and response surface methodology for MEMS optimization," Microsyst. Technol., Vol. 21, No. 1, 263-276, Jan. 2015.
11. Akhtar, F., M. M. Saleem, M. Zubair, and M. Ahmad, "Design optimization of RF-MEMS based multiband reconfigurable antenna using response surface methodology," 2018 Progress in Electromagnetics Research Symposium (PIERS-Toyama), 743-750, Toyama, 2018.
12. Chen, Y.-S. and T.-Y. Ku, "Efficiency improvements of antenna optimization using orthogonal fractional experiments," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Article ID 708163, 2015, https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijap/2015/708163/, (accessed Mar. 12, 2020).
13. Margaret, D. H. and B. Manimegalai, "Modeling and optimization of EBG structure using response surface methodology for antenna applications," AEU — Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 89, 34-41, May 2018.
14. Behera, S. K., H. Meena, S. Chakraborty, and B. C. Meikap, "Application of response surface methodology (RSM) for optimization of leaching parameters for ash reduction from low-grade coal," Int. J. Min. Sci. Technol., Vol. 28, No. 4, 621-629, Jul. 2018.
15. Bezerra, M. A., R. E. Santelli, E. P. Oliveira, L. S. Villar, and L. A. Escaleira, "Response surface methodology (RSM) as a tool for optimization in analytical chemistry," Talanta, Vol. 76, No. 5, 965-977, Sep. 2008.
16. Vahiddastjerdi, H., A. Rezaeian, M. R. Toroghinejad, G. Dini, and E. Ghassemali, "Optimizing pulsed Nd: YAG laser welding of high-Mn TWIP steel using response surface methodology technique," Opt. Laser Technol., Vol. 120, 105721, Dec. 2019.
17. Vedrtnam, A., G. Singh, and A. Kumar, "Optimizing submerged arc welding using response surface methodology, regression analysis, and genetic algorithm," Def. Technol., Vol. 14, No. 3, 204-212, Jun. 2018.
18. Peng, L., C. Ruan, and X. Yin, "Analysis of the small slot-loaded elliptical patch antenna with a band-notched for UWB applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 4, 973-976, 2009.
19. Montgomery, D. C., Design and Analysis of Experiments, 8th Ed., John Wiley and sons, Inc., New York, 2013.
20. Bhadouria, A. S. and M. Kumar, "Microstrip patch antenna for radiolocation using DGS with improved gain and bandwidth," 2014 International Conference on Advances in Engineering Technology Research (ICAETR — 2014), 1-5, Aug. 2014.
21. Aggarwal, K. and A. Garg, "A S-shaped patch antenna for X-band wireless/microwave applications," International Journal of Computing and Corporate Research, Vol. 2, No. 2, International Manuscript ID: ISSN2249054X-V2I2M2-032012, 2011.
22. Saini, H., A. Kaur, A. Thakur, R. Kumar, and N. Kumar, "Compact multiband ground slotted patch antenna for X-band applications," 2015 2nd International Conference on Recent Advances in Engineering Computational Sciences (RAECS), 1-6, Dec. 2015.
23. Singh, V., B. Mishra, and R. Singh, "A compact and wide band microstrip patch antenna for X-band applications," 2015 Second International Conference on Advances in Computing and Communication Engineering, 296-300, May 2015.
24. Sran, S. S. and J. S. Sivia, "Quad staircase shaped microstrip patch antenna for S, C and X band applications," Procedia Comput. Sci., Vol. 85, 443-450, Jan. 2016.
25. Jayasree, S. J. and S. Saravanan, "Miniaturized slotted patch antenna for X-band apllications," Int. J. Eng. Res. Technol., Vol. 4, No. 14, Jul. 2018, [Online]. Available: https://www.ijert.org/research/miniaturized-slotted-patch-antenna-for-x-band-apllications-IJERTCONV4IS14010.pdf, https://www.ijert.org/miniaturized-slotted-patch-antenna-for-x-bandapllications, (accessed: Jul. 10, 2020).
26. Kaushal, D. and T. Shanmuganantham, "Design of a compact and novel microstrip patch antenna for multiband satellite applications," Mater. Today Proc., Vol. 5, No. 10, Part 1, 21175-21182, Jan. 2018.
27. Sharma, I. B., F. L. Lohar, R. K. Maddila, A. Deshpande, and M. M. Sharma, "Tri-band microstrip patch antenna for C, X, and Ku band applications," Optical and Wireless Technologies, 567-574, Singapore, 2018.
28. Sharma, S. K. and Y. Kumar, "E-shaped micro-strip notched patch antenna for wireless applications,", Art. No. 1696, Oct. 2019, [Online]. Available: https://easychair.org/publications/preprint/rhNZ, (accessed: Jul. 20, 2020).
29. Khan, I., G. D. Devanagavi, S. K. R, R. R. K, R. Gunjal, and T. Ali, "A hepta-band antenna loaded with E-shaped slot for S/C/X-band applications," Int. J. Electron. Telecommun., Vol. 65, No. 2, Art. No. 2, May 2019.
30. Godaymi, W. A., R. M. Shaaban, Al-Tumah, A. S. Tahir, and Z. A. Ahmed, "Multi-forked microstrip patch antenna for broadband application," J. Phys. Conf. Ser., Vol. 1294, 022020, Sep. 2019.
31. Kumar, A. and A. P. S. Pharwaha, "Development of a modified Hilbert curve fractal antenna for multiband applications," IETE J. Res., Vol. 0, No. 0, 1-10, Jun. 2020.