This paper presents a hybrid sliding mode control of a multicell power converter. It takes into account the hybrid aspect of the conversion structure which includes the converter continuous and discrete states The idea is based on using a hybrid control and an observer-type sliding mode to generate residuals from the observation errors of the system by including diferent types of faults in the transition between modes. The case when a DC motor is coupled to the multicell converter is also considered. In this case, it is shown that under certain admissible assumptions, the voltages across the capacitors and the speed of the motor can be acceptably estimated. The simulation results are presented at the end to illustrate the performance of the proposed approach using stateflaw in sumulink (matlab). The developed method is illustrated in an example of the DC motor supply via a three cell converter which is a real example of an SDH characterized by continuous and discrete variables.
2. Meynard, T. A., H. Foch, P. Thomas, J. Courault, R. Jakob, and M. Nahrstaedt, "Multi-cell converters: Basic concepts and industry applications," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Applications, Vol. 49, No. 5, 955-964, 2002.
3. Tolbert, L. M. and F. Z. Peng, "Multilevel converters for large electric drives," Proceedings of the IEEE APEC’98, 530-536, Anaheim, USA, 1998.
4. Ladoux, P., M. Machmoum, and C. Batard, "Harmonic currents compensation for 1.5 kV DC railway substations," International Review of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 3, 380-391, June 2009.
5. Stala, R., S. Pirog, A. Mondzik, M. Baszynski, A. Penczek, J. Czekonski, and S. Gasiorek, "Results of investigation of multicell converters with balancing circuit," IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, Vol. 56, No. 7, 2620-2628, July 2009.
6. Sadigh, A. K., S. H. Hosseini, and G. B. Gharehpetian, "Double flying capacitor multicell converter based on modified phase-shifted pulsewidth modulation," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 259, No. 6, 1517-1526, June 2010.
7. Defoort, M., M. Djemai, and J. Van Gorp, "Sliding mode control of switching electrical power converters associated to an inductive load," IFAC World Congress, 2011.
8. Gateau, G., M. Fadel, P. Maussion, R. Bensaid, and T. Meynard, "Multicell converters: Active control and observation of flying capacitor voltages," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 49, 998-1008, 2002.
9. Baja, M., D. Patino, H. Cormerais, P. Riedinger, and J. Buisson, "Hybrid control of a three-level three-cell DC-DC converter," Proceedings of the IEEE American Control Conference, 5458-5463, New York City, USA, 2007.
10. Ghanes, M. and J. P. Barbot, "On sliding mode and adaptive observers design for multicell converter," Proceedings of the IEEE American Control Conference, 2134-2139, St Louis, Missouri, USA, 2009.
11. Djemaı, M., K. Busawond, K. Benmansoure, and A. Marouf, "High-order sliding mode control of a DC motor drive via a switched controlled multi-cellular converter," International Journal of Systems Science, Vol. 42, No. 11, 1869-1882, 2011.
12. Meradi, S., K. Benmansour, M. Tadjine, and M. S. Boucherit, "Fault hybrid diagnosis cells in four levels flying capacitors multicell converter," International Conf´erence of Maintenance, Management, Logistics and Electronics, Oran, Algeria, 2012.
13. Meradi, S., K. Benmansour, K. Herizi, M. Tadjine, and M. S. Boucherit, "On hybrid observability design for multi-cellular four quadrants dc-dc converter," International Symposium on Environment Friendly Energies and Applications, 2012.
14. Van Gorp, J., M. Defoort, and M. Djemai, "Binary signals design to control a power converter," 50th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, 2011.
15. Liu, J., S. Laghrouche, M. Harmouche, and M. Wack, "Adaptive-gain second-order sliding mode observer design for switching power converters," Journal of Control Engineering Practice, Vol. 30, 124-131, 2014.
16. Defoort, M., M. Djemai, T. Floquet, and W. Perruquetti, "Robust finite time observer design for multicellular converters," International Journal of Systems Science, Vol. 42, No. 11, 1859-1868, 2011.
17. Silva, E. I., B. McGrath, D. Quevedo, and G. Goodwin, "Predictive control of a flying capacitor converter," IEEE American Cont. Conf., 2007.
18. Benmansour, K., J. De Leon, and M. Djemai, "Adaptive observer for multi-cell chopper," Second International Symposium on Communications, Control and Signal Processing, March 13–15, 2006.
19. Bejarano, F. J., M. Ghanes, and J.-P. Barbot, "Observability and observer design for hybrid multicell choppers," International Journal of Control, Vol. 8, No. 3, 617-632, 2010.
20. Utkin, V., Sliding Modes in Control and Optimisation, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1992.
21. Ghanes, M., F. Bejarano, and J. P. Barbot, "On sliding mode and adaptive observers design for multicell converter," American Control Conference, 2009.
22. Cheng, P.-J., C.-H. Cheng, and C.-C. Tung, "Design of DC motor’s torque control using DSP," Journal of Information and Optimization Sciences, Vol. 30, No. 6, 1197-1207, 2009.
23. Trabelsi, M. A., "Modelisation et commande directe d’un convertisseur multi niveau monophase," JCGE’08 Lyon, 2008.
24. Ben Said, S., K. Ben Saad, and M. Benrejeb, "Sliding mode control for a multicell converters," CEIT’13, Sousse, Tunisie, June 4, 2013.
25. Benzineb, O., F. Taibi, T. Meriem, L. Kirati, M. S. Boucherit, and M. Tadjine, "Control and fault diagnosis based sliding mode observer of a multicellular converter: Hybrid approach," Journal of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 64, No. 1, 20-30, 2013.
26. Ramadge, P. J., "Observability of discrete event-systems," Proceedings of 25th Conference on Decision and Control, 1108-1112, Athens, Greece, 1986.
27. Benzineb, O., F. Taibi, M. E. H. Benbouzid, M. S. Boucherit, and M. Tadjine, "Multicell converters hybrid sliding mode control," International Review on Modelling and Simulations, Vol. 4, No. 4, 1396-1403, 2011.
28. Meradi, S., K. Benmansour, K. Herizi, M. Tadjine, and M. S. Boucherit, "Sliding mode and fault tolerant control for multicell converter four quadrants," Elsevier Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 95, 128-139, 2013.
29. Belkhiat, D. E. C., N. Manamanni, N. Messai, and M. Djemai, "Fault detection & isolation for a class of hybrid systems: A dedicated switched robust observer scheme," 2012 20th Mediterranean Conference on Control & Automation (MED), 984-989, Barcelona, 2012.
30. Van Gorp, J., A. Giua, M. Defoort, M. Djemai, and S. Paganelli, "Fault detection and isolation for a class of switched systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics.
31. Meynard, T., H. Foch, P. Thomas, J. Courault, R. Jakob, and M. Nahrstaedt, "Multi-cell converters: Basic concepts and industry applications," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Application, Vol. 49, No. 5, 955-964, 2002.
32. Kang, W., J. Barbot, and L. Xu, "On the observability of nonlinear and switched systems," Lecture Notes in Cont. and Inf. Sciences, Springer Berlin, 2009.