This paper presents a novel design methodology for the design and optimization of a miniaturized multiband microstrip patch antenna (MPA) suitable to be used in wireless communication systems. Two design steps were used to do that. In the first step, an initial antenna is designed by a trial and error approach to nearly operated in the desired frequency bands, but the level of impedance matching (S11<-10 dB) for one or more bands is unsatisfactory, or some bands are uncovered by the antenna. Then, the second design step is beginning after that aiming to achieve optimized antenna by applying an optimization algorithm to effectively fine-tune the impedance matching of the initial deigned antenna to closely satisfy all the desired frequency bands. As an illustrative example, the proposed optimization methodology was used for designing a miniaturized multiband MPA suitable for operating at five different frequency bands, 915 MHz (RFID band), 1850 MHz (GSM band), (ISM-Industrial, Scientific, Medical), 2.45 and 5.8 GHz, and 3.5 GHz (WiMAX band). The proposed MPA used here is composed of two patch structures printed on both sides of an FR4 substrate occupying an overall size of just 28×28 mm2. The final optimized antenna is fabricated, and its simulated and measured results were coinciding with each other validating the design principle. Moreover, simulation antenna performance parameters, surface current distribution, realized peak gain, and efficiency besides the radiation patterns at the desired frequency bands are obtained using CST MWS.
2. Attaran, A. and R. Rashidzadeh, "Chipless radio frequency identification tag for IoT applications," IEEE Internet of Things Journal, Vol. 3, No. 6, 1310-1318, 2016.
3. Lizzi, L., F. Ferrero, P. Monin, C. Danchesi, and S. Boudaud, "Design of miniature antennas for IoT applications," 2016 IEEE Sixth International Conference on Communications and Electronics (ICCE), 234-237, 2016.
4. Saha, T. K., T. N. Knaus, A. Khosla, and P. K. Sekhar, "A CPW-fed flexible UWB antenna for IoT applications," Microsyst. Technol., 1-7, December 2018.
5. Lukasz, J., D. B. Paolo, J. Lukasz, and H. Slawomir, "Many-objective automated optimization of a four-band antenna for multiband wireless sensor networks," Sensors, Vol. 18, 3309, 2018.
6. Januszkiewicz, L., P. Di Barba, and S. Hausman, "Optimization of wearable microwave antenna with simplified electromagnetic model of the human body," Open Phys., Vol. 15, 1055-1060, 2017.
7. Yang, H., W. Yao, Y. Yi, X. Huang, S. Wu, and B. Xiao, "A dual-band low-profile metasurface- enabled wearable antenna for WLAN devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 61, 115-125, 2016.
8. Wang, B. and W. Wamg, "A miniature tri-band RFID reader antenna with high gain for portable devices," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 9, No. 5, 1163-1167, June 2017.
9. Zhang, T., R. Li, G. Jin, G. Wei, and M. Tentzeris, "A novel multiband planar antenna for GSM/UMTS/LTE/Zigbee/RFID mobile devices," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 11, 4209-4214, November 2011.
10. Li, H., Y. Zhou, X. Mou, Z. Ji, H. Yu, and L. Wang, "Miniature four-band CPW-fed antenna for RFID/WiMAX/WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1684-1688, 2014.
11. Guan, Y., Z. Zhou, Y. Li, and H. Xiao, "A novel design of compact dipole antenna for 900 MHz and 2.4 GHz RFID tag applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 45, 99-104, 2014.
12. Panda, J. R. and R. S. Kshetrimayum, "A printed 2.4 GHz/5.8 GHz dual-band monopole antenna with a protruding stub in the ground plane for WLAN and RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 425-434, 2011.
13. Ghosh, S. K. and R. K. Badhai, "Spiral shaped multi frequency printed antenna for mobile wireless and biomedical applications," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 98, No. 3, 2461-2471, February 2018.
14. Salim, M. and A. Pourziad, "A novel reconfigurable spiral-shaped monopole antenna for biomedical applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 57, 79-84, 2015.
15. Kerkhoff, A. J., R. L. Rogers, and H. Ling, "Design and analysis of planar monopole antennas using a genetic algorithm approach," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 10, 2709-2718, 2004.
16. Griffiths, L. A., C. Furse, and Y. C. Chung, "Broadband and multiband antenna design using the genetic algorithm to create amorphous shapes using ellipses," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag, Vol. 54, No. 10, 2776-2782, October 2006.
17. Fertas, K., H. Kimouche, M. Challal, H. Aksas, and R. Aksas, "An optimized shaped antenna for multiband applications using Genetic Algorithm," 4th International Conference on Electrical Engineering (ICEE), 1-4, 2015.
18. Kaur, G., M. Rattan, and C. Jain, "Optimization of swastika slotted fractal antenna using genetic algorithm and bat algorithm for S-band utilities," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 97, No. 1, 95-107, 2017.
19. Kaur, G., M. Rattan, and C. Jain, "Design and optimization of psi (ψ) slotted fractal antenna using ANN and GA for multiband applications," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 97, No. 3, 4573-4585, 2017.
20. Choo, H. and H. Ling, "Design of multiband microstrip antennas using a genetic algorithm," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 9, 345-347, 2002.
21. Jayasinghe, J. W., J. Anguera, and D. N. Uduwawala, "A simple design of multi band microstrip patch antennas robust to fabrication tolerances for GSM, UMTS, LTE, and Bluetooth applications by using genetic algorithm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 27, 255-269, 2012.
22. Martinez-Fernandez, J., J. M. Gil, and J. Zapata, "Ultrawideband optimized profile monopole antenna by means of simulated annealing algorithm and the finite element method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1826-1832, 2007.
23. Alaydrus, M. and T. F. Eibert, "Optimizing multiband antennas using simulated annealing," 2nd International ITG Conference on Antennas, 86-90, 2007.
24. Dastranj, A., "Optimization of a printed UWB antenna: Application of the invasive weed optimization algorithm in antenna design," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 59, No. 1, 48-57, 2017.
25. Monavar, F. M., N. Komjani, and P. Mousavi, "Application of invasive weed optimization to design a broadband patch antenna with symmetric radiation pattern," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1369-1372, 2011.
26. Karimkashi, S. and A. A. Kishk, "Invasive weed optimization and its features in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 4, 1269-1278, 2010.
27. Liu, W.-C., "Design of a multiband CPW-fed monopole antenna using a particle swarm optimization approach," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 10, 3273-3279, October 2005.
28. Jin, N. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Parallel particle swarm optimization and finite-difference timedomain (PSO/FDTD) algorithm for multiband and wide-band patch antenna designs," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3459-3468, 2005.
29. Jin, N. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Hybrid real-binary particle swarm optimization (HPSO) in engineering electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 12, 3786-3794, 2010.
30. Jin, N. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Advances in particle swarm optimization for antenna designs: Real-number, binary, single-objective and multiobjective implementation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 3, 556-567, 2007.
31. Choudhury, B., S. Manickam, and R. M. Jha, "Particle swarm optimization for multiband metamaterial fractal antenna," Journal of Optimization, 2013.
32. Sun, L.-L., J.-T. Hu, K.-Y. Hu, M.-W. He, and H.-N. Chen, "Multi-species particle swarms optimization based on orthogonal learning and its application for optimal design of a butterfly-shaped patch antenna," J. Cent. South Univ., Vol. 23, No. 8, 2048-2062, 2016.
33. Tang, M.-C., X. Chen, M. Li, and R. Ziolkowski, "Particle swarm optimized, 3D-printed, wideband, compact hemispherical antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 11, 2031-2035, 2018.
34. Chen, Y.-S., "Performance enhancement of multiband antennas through a two-stage optimization technique," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 27, No. 2, 1-9, 2016.
35. Bianchi, D., S. Genovesi, and A. Monorchio, "Constrained Pareto optimization of wide band and steerable concentric ring arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 7, 3195-3204, 2012.
36. Goudos, S. K., K. Siakavara, E. E. Vafladis, and J. N. Sahalos, "Pareto optimal Yagi-Uda antenna design using multi-objective differential evolution," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 231-251, 2010.
37. Tuan, H. N., M. Hisashi, K. Yoshio, I. Kazuhiro, and N. Shinji, "A multi-level optimization method using PSO for the optimal design of an L-shaped folded monopole antenna array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 1, 206-215, 2014.
38. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 4th Ed., John Wiley & Sons, 2016.