Non-metallic objects, such as match box and cigarette box, detection and identification are quite an essential task during personal screening from standoff distance to protect the public places like the airport. Although various imaging sensors such as microwave, THz, infrared and MMW with signal processing techniques have been demonstrated by the researchers for concealed weapon detection, it is still a challenging task to detect and identify different types of small size targets such as a matchbox, pocket diary and cigarette box simultaneously. Therefore, in this paper, an attempt has been made to develop such an algorithm/methodology by which different types of small targets, such as a matchbox and cigarette box, which is fully or half-filled or empty and pocket diary at different orientations beneath various cloths can be detected and identified with an MMW radar system. For this purpose, an optimal method has been proposed to form an image, and after that, in post processing a novel adaptive approach for detection and identification of considered targets has been proposed. The data were collected by MMW system at V-band (59 GHz-61 GHz). The proposed algorithm/methodology gives s quite satisfactory result.
2. Allen, G. I., P. Czipott, R. Matthews, and R. H. Koch, "Initial evaluation and follow on investigation of the quantum magnetics laboratory prototype, room temperature gradiometer for ordnance location," Proceedings of the SPIE, Vol. 3711, 103-112, April 1999.
3. Berrah, N., L. Fang, T. Osipov, B. Murphy, P. Juranic, E. Kukk, K. Ueda, R. Feifel, P. van der Meulen, P. Salen, H. Schmidt, R. Thomas, M. Larsson, R. Richter, K. C. Prince, J. D. Bozek, C. Bostedt, S. Wada, M. Piancastelli, M. Tashiro, M. Ehara, and F. Tarantelli, "Ultraintense x-ray induced multiple ionization and double core-hole production in molecules," Proc. Conf. Lasers Electro-Opt., 1-2, 2011.
4. Hichem, F. and G. Paul, "Detection and discrimination of land mines in ground penetrating radar based on edge histogram descriptors and a possibilistic K-nearest neighbour classifier," IEEE Transactions Fuzzy System, Vol. 17, 185-199, 2009.
5. Dionisio, C. R. P., S. Tavares, M. Perotoni, and S. Kofuji, "Experiments on through-wall imaging using ultra-wideband radar," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, 339-344, 2012.
6. Harmer, S. W., et al., "A review of nonimaging stand-off concealed threat detection with millimeter-wave radar [application notes]," IEEE Microw. Mag., Vol. 13, No. 1, 160-167, 2012.
7. Chen, H.-M., S. Lee, R. M. Rao, M.-A. Slamani, and P. K. Varshney, "Imaging for concealed weapon detection: A tutorial overview of development in imaging sensors and processing," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 22, 52-61, 2005.
8. Shen, X., C. R. Dietlein, E. Grossman, Z. Popovic, and F. G. Meyer, "Detection and segmentation of concealed objects in Terahertz images," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 17, 2465-2475, 2008.
9. Boris, K. and E. Moshe, "Detecting concealed objects on human body using active millimeter wave sensor," IEEE Journal on Sensors, Vol. 10, 1746-1752, 2010.
10. Appleby, R. and H. B. Wallace, "Standoff detection of weapons and contraband in the 100 GHz to 1 THz region," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, 2944-2956, 2007.
11. Agarwal, S. and D. Singh, "An adaptive statistical approach for nondestructive underline crack detection of ceramic tiles using millimeter wave imaging radar for industrial application," IEEE Journal on Sensors, Vol. 99, 1-8, 2015.
12. Chahat, N., M. Zhadobov, R. Sauleau, and S. I. Alekseev, "New method for determining dielectric properties of skin and phantoms at millimeter waves based on heating kinetics," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, 827-832, 2012.
13. Gaikwad, A. N., R. Chandra, D. Singh, and M. J. Nigam, "An approach to remove the clutter and detect the target for ultra-wideband through-wall imaging," Journal of Geophysics and Engineering, No. 5, 412-419, 2008.
14. Raffaele, S. and C. Antonio, "Front wall clutter rejection methods in TWI," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 11, 1158-1162, June 2014.
15. Gonzalez, R. C. and R. E. Woods, Digital Image Processing, 3rd Ed., Prentice-Hall, Inc., 2006.
16. Otsu, N., "A threshold selection method from gray level histograms," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Vol. 9, 62-66, 1979.
17. Celenk, M., "Colour image segmentation by clustering," IET Journals & Magazines on Computers and Digital Techniques, Vol. 138, 368-376, 1991.
18. Wong, A. K. C. and P. K. Sahoo, "A gray level threshold selection method based on maximum entropy principle," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol. 19, 866-871, 1989.
19. Lie, W. N., "Automatic target segmentation by locally adaptive image thresholding," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 4, 1036-1041, 1995.
20. Haworth, C. D., et al., "Image analysis for object detection in millimetre-wave images," European Symposium on Optics and Photonics for Defence and Security, 117-128, 2004.
21. Shen, X., C. R. Dietlein, E. Grossman, Z. Popovic, and F. G. Meyer, "Detection and segmentation of concealed objects in Terahertz images," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 17, 2465-2475, 2008.
22. Lee, S. U., S. Y. Chung, and R. H. Park, "A comparative performance study of several global thresholding techniques for segmentation," Computer Vision, Graphics, and Image Processing, Vol. 52, 171-190, 1990.
23. Pal, N. R. and S. K. Pal, "A review on image segmentation techniques," Pattern Recognition, Vol. 26, 1277-1294, 1993.
24. Krebs, C., et al., "The development of a compact millimeter wave scanning system," 36th International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter and Terahertz Waves (IRMMW-THz), 1-2, 2011.
25. Martinez, O., L. Ferraz, X. Binefa, I. Gomez, and C. Dorronsoro, "Concealed object detection and segmentation over millimetric waves images," IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops (CVPRW), 31-37, 2010.
26. Deselaers, T., D. Keysers, and H. Ney, "Features for image retrieval: An experimental comparison," Information Retrieval, Vol. 11, 77-107, 2008.
27. Agarwal, S., A. Bisht, D. Singh, and N. P. Pathak, "A novel neural network based image reconstruction model with scale and rotation invariance for target identification and identification for active millimetre wave imaging," Journal of Infrared, Millimetre, and Terahertz Waves, Vol. 35, 1045-1067, Springer, 2014.
28. Li, H.-C., W. Hong, Y.-R. Wu, and P.-Z. Fan, "An efficient and flexible statistical model based on generalized Gamma distribution for amplitude SAR images," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 48, 2711-2722, 2010.
29. Nick, K. and R. A.-S. Mahmood, "Non-Gaussian target detection in sonar imagery using the multivariate laplace distribution," IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, Vol. 40, 452-464, 2015.
30. Abhirup, B. and M. Pradipta, "Rough sets and stomped normal distribution for simultaneous segmentation and bias field correction in brain MR images," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 24, 5764-5776, 2015.
31. Cobb, J., K. Slatton, and G. Dobeck, "A parametric model for characterizing seabed textures in synthetic aperture sonar images," IEEE J. Ocean. Eng., Vol. 35, No. 2, 250-266, April 2010.
32. Wu, Y. and S. C. Ng, "A PDF-based identification of gait cadence patterns in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis," 32nd Annual International Conference of the IEEE EMBS Argentina, 1304-1307, 2010.
33. Banerjee, A., P. Burlina, and R. Chellappa, "Adaptive target detection in foliage-penetrating SAR images using alpha-stable models," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 8, No. 12, 1823-1831, December 1999.
34. Achim, A., E. E. Kuruoglu, and J. Zerubia, "SAR image filtering based on the heavy-tailed Rayleigh model," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 15, 2686-2693, 2006.
35. Tison, C., J. M. Nicolas, F. Tupin, and H. Maitre, "New statistical model for Markovian identification of urban areas in high-resolution SAR images," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 42, No. 10, 2046-2057, 2004.
36. Stanic, S. and E. Kennedy, "Reverberation fluctuation from a smooth seafloor," IEEE J. Ocean. Eng., Vol. 18, 95-99, 1993.
37. Stanic, S., R. Goodman, K. Briggs, N. Choliros, and E. Kennedy, "Shallow-water bottom reverberation measurements," IEEE J. Ocean. Eng., Vol. 23, 203-210, 1998.
38. Ghodgaonkar, D. K., O. P. Gandhi, and M. F. Iskander, "Complex permittivities of human skin in vivo in the frequency band 26.5–60 GHz," Proceedings of IEEE Antennas and Propagation Symposium, Vol. 2, 1100-1103, USA, 2000.
39. Martellosio, A., et al., "0.5–50 GHz dielectric characterization of breast cancer tissues," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 13, 974-975, June 2015.
40. Martellosio, A., et al., "Dielectric properties characterization from 0.5 to 50 GHz of breast cancer tissues," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Techn., Vol. 65, 998-1011, March 2017.
41. Balanis, A., "Measurements of dielectric constants and loss tangents at E-band using a Fabry-Perot interferometer," NASA Technical Notes NASA TN D-5583, December 1969.
42. Ghodgaonkar, D. K., V. V. Varadan, and V. K. Varadan, "A free-space method for measurement of dielectric constants and loss tangents at microwave frequencies," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 38, No. 3, 789-793, June 1989.
44. Agilent 85071E Materials Measurement Software, , Agilent Technologies, Inc., Clara, CA, USA, 2012.
44. Yoo, J. C. and C. W. Ahn, "Image matching using peak signal-to-noise ratio-based occlusion detection," IET Image Process., Vol. 6, 483-495, 2012.
45. Stefan, S., J. E. Wildberger, R. Rainer, N. Matthias, K. R. Klaus, and F. Thomas, "Spatial domain filtering for fast modification of the tradeoff between image sharpness and pixel noise in computed tomography," IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, Vol. 22, 846-853, 2003.
46. Luis, M. S. B. and B. Eusebio, "Uncertainty estimation by convolution using spatial statistics," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Vol. 15, 3131-3137, 2006.
47. Walck, C., "Hand-book on STATISTICAL DISTRIBUTIONS for experimentalists," Internal Report SUF-PFY/96-01, Particle Physics Group Fysikum, University of Stockholm, 2007.