This paper presents the design and fabrication of a broadband UHF RFID tag for bio-monitoring applications. The proposed tag is realized with a thin FR4 substrate of 200 μm, which can be considered as flexible. It shows good performances both in free space and placed on human body. For instance, in free space, the tag can be read at 14 m in the UHF RFID band and at an average distance of 4.6 m when it is placed on the human body. The overall tag size is only 80 mm × 50mm × 200 μm.
2. Bouet, M. and G. Pujolle, "RFID in eHealth systems: Applications, challenges and perspectives," Annals of Telecommunications, Vol. 65, No. 9-10, 497-503, Oct. 2010.
3. Yang, L., L. J. Martin, D. Staiculescu, C. P. Wong, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Conformal magnetic composite RFID for wearable RF and bio-monitoring applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3223-3230, Nov. 200.
4. Lin, M.-H. and C.-W. Chiu, "Human-body effects on the design of card-type UHF RFID tag antennas," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, 521-524, Jul. 2011.
5. Santiago, A. G., C. A. Fernandes, and J. R. Costa, "Broadband UHF RFID passive tag antenna for near-body operation," IEEE International Conference on RFID-Technologies and Applications (RFID-TA), 271-274, 2012.
6. Tsai, M. C., C. W. Chiu, H. C. Wang, and T. F. Wu, "Inductively coupled loop antenna design for UHF RFID on-body applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 143, 315-330, 2013.
7. Occhiuzzi, C., S. Cippitelli, and G. Marrocco, "Modeling, design and experimentation of wearable RFID sensor tag," IEEE International Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 2490-2498, Aug. 2010.
8. Marrocco, G., "Body-matched RFID antennas for wireless biometry," Proceedings EuCAP 2006, Nice, France, Nov. 2006.
9. Rajagopalan, H. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Conformal RFID antenna design suitable for human monitoring and metallic platforms," Proceedings of the 4th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-5, Apr. 2010.
10. Manzari, S., S. Pettinari, and G. Marrocco, "Miniaturized and tunable wearable RFID tag for body-centric applications," IEEE International Conference on RFID-Technologies and Applications (RFID-TA), 239-243, 2012.
11. Manzari, S., C. Occhiuzzi, and G. Marrocco, "Reading range of wearable textile RFID tags in real configurations," Proceedings of the 5th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 433-436, 2011.
12. Occhiuzzi, C., M. Simiele, R. Lodato, and G. Marrocco, "Feasibility, limitations and potentiality of UHF RFID passive implants," IEEE International Conference on RFID-Technologies and Applications (RFID-TA), 40-45, 2012.
13. Alien Higgs 4, www.alientechnology.com/products/ic/higgs-4/,.
15. Dielectric properties of body tissues, niremf.ifac.cnr.it/tisspro/,.
16. Marrocco, G., "The art of UHF RFID antenna design: Impedance-matching and size-reduction techniques," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 1, Feb. 2008.
17. Alarcon, J., R. Saba, M. Egels, and P. Pannier, "A flexible UHF RFID tag for harsh environments," IEEE International Conference on RFID-Technologies and Applications (RFID-TA), 2012.
18. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., John Wiley and Son, 1997.
19. Qing, X., C. K. Goh, and Z. N. Chen, "Impedance characterization of RFID tag antennas and application in tag co-design," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 5, 1268-1274, May 2009.
20. National instruments RFID measurements, www.ni.com/tutorial/6645/en/,.
21. Dubok, A. and A. B. Smolders, "Miniturization of robust UHF RFID antennas for use on perishable goods and human bodies," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1321-1324, 2014.