The paper introduces a new class of adaptive CFAR methods to cope with the problem of outliers due to the presence of clutter edges and interfering targets. A fundamental distinction between the proposed approach and existing adaptive CFAR approaches is that in order to maintain robust performance the former uses information on positions at which estimated outlier-free cells appear in the full reference window and the statistics of the sample in the cell under test. The performance of one of the possible implementations of new adaptive CFAR methods is studied and compared with that of an existing adaptive CFAR approach. The results show significant advantages of the proposed class of adaptive CFAR methods in both the false alarm regulation property and detection performance.
2. Gandhi, P. P. and S. A. Kassam, "Analysis of CFAR processors in nonhomogeneous background," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 24, No. 4, 427-445, Jul. 1988.
3. Himonas, S. D. and M. Barkat, "Automatic censored CFAR detection for nonhomogeneous environments," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 28, No. 1, 286-304, Jan. 1992.
4. Pourmottaghi, A., M. R. Taban, and S. Gazor, "A CFAR detector in a nonhomogeneous weibull clutter," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 48, No. 2, 1747-1758, Apr. 2012.
5. Barkat, M., S. D. Himonas, and P. K. Varshney, "CFAR detection for multiple target situations," IEE Proceedings, Vol. 136, Pt. F, No. 5, 193-209, Oct. 1989.
6. Magaz, B., A. Belouchrani, and M. Hamadouche, "Automatic threshold selection in OS-CFAR radar detection using information theoretic criteria," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 30, 157-175, 2011.
7. Press, W. H., S. A. Teukolsky, W. T. Vetterling, and B. P. Flannery, Numerical Recipes in C: The art of Scientific Computing, 2nd Ed., Chapter 8, Cambridge University Press, 1992.
8. Rohling, H., "Radar CFAR thresholding in clutter and multiple target situations," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 19, No. 4, 608-621, Jul. 1983.
9. Shor, M. and N. Levanon, "Performances of order statistics CFAR," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 27, No. 2, 214-224, Mar. 1991.
10. David, H. A. and H. N. Nagaraja, Order Statistics, 11-12, Wiley, New York, 2003.