Gaussian beam techniques are efficient asymptotic methods for field radiation computation. In these techniques, the initial field is first expanded on a chosen surface in elementary Gaussian beams which can propagate and/or interact with surrounding structures. However, the expansion cannot take into account surface and leaky waves propagation. In this paper, we propose an appropriate hybridization method using surface equivalent currents to overcome this limitation. The equivalent current formulation is written on grounded dielectric slab in spectral domain and can model surface and leaky waves which propagate from the surface expansion. The hybridization is carried out on the expansion surface, on which the distribution of elementary Gaussian beams and equivalent currents must be chosen in a relevant way. We study the influence of hybridization parameters and define a set of them leading to good results for general cases.
2. Pascal, O., F. Lemaitre, and G. Soum, "Dielectric lens analysis using vectorial multimodal Gaussian beam expansion," Ann. Telecom., Vol. 52, No. 9-10, 519-528, 1997.
3. Chou, H. T., P. A. Pathak, and R. J. Burkholder, "Novel Gaussian beam method for the rapid analysis of large reflector antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 6, 880-893, 2001.
4. Galdi, V., L. B. Felsen, and D. A. Castanon, "Quasi-ray Gaussian beam algorithm for time-harmonic two-dimensional scattering by moderately rough interfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 9, 1305-1314, 2001.
5. Maciel, J. J. and L. B. Felsen, "Gabor-based narrow-waisted Gaussian beam algorithm for transmission of aperture-excited 3D vector ¯elds through arbitrarily shaped 3D dielectric layers," Radio Science, Vol. 37, No. 2, vic6.1-vic6.9, 2002.
6. Ghannoum, I., C. Letrou, and G. Beauquet, "Gaussian beam shooting algorithm based on iterative frame decomposition," 2010 Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-4, Apr. 12-16, 2010.
7. Chabory, A., J. Sokoloff, S. Bolioli, and P. F. Combes, "Computation of electromagnetic scattering by multilayer dielectric objects using Gaussian beam based techniques," C. R. Phys., No. 6, 654-662, 2005.
8. Chabory, A., J. Sokoloff, and S. Bolioli, "Physics-based expansion on 3D conformal gaussian beams for the scattering from a curved interface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 54, 245-264, 2013.
9. Hillairet, J., J. Sokoloff, and S. Bolioli, "Uniform analytic scattered fields of a PEC plate illuminated by a vector paraxial gaussian beam," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 14, 203-217, 2009.
10. Elis, K., A. Chabory, and J. Sokoloff, "3D interaction of Gaussian beams with dichroic surfaces for the modeling of quasi optical systems," International Symposium on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics (ANTEM), 1-5, Toulouse, France, Jun. 2012.
11. Balanis, C. A., Modern Antenna Handbook, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2008.
12. Capet, N., C. Martel, J. Sokoloff, and O. Pascal, "Optimum high impedance surface configuration for mutual coupling reduction in small antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 32, 283-297, 2011.
13. Tamir, T. and A. A. Oliner, "Guided complex waves. Part 1: Fields at an interface; Part 2: Relation to radiation patterns," Proceedings of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, Vol. 110, No. 2, 310-334, Feb. 1963.
14. Tamir, T. and L. B. Felsen, "On lateral waves in slab confgurations and their relation to other wave types," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 13, No. 3, 410-422, May 1965.
15. Collin, R. E., Field Theory of Guided Waves, 2nd Ed., The IEEE Press Series on Electromagnetic Wave Theory, 1991.
16. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetic, 2nd Ed., Ch. 7.8, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2012.
17. Paulus, M., P. Gay-Balmaz, and O. J. F. Martin, "Accurate and e±cient computation of the Green's tensor for stratified media," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 14, 5797-5807, 2000.
18. Song, Z., K.-L. Zheng, H.-X. Zhou, J. Hu, and W. Hong, "A method of locating leaky wave poles of spectral Green's functions for a layered medium by consecutive frequency perturbation," Electrical Design of Advanced Packaging & Systems Symposium, 1-4, Dec. 2-4, 2009.
19. Kogelnick, H. and T. Li, "Laser beams and resonators," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 54, No. 10, 1312-1329, 1966.
20. Hsu, C.-I. G., R. F. Harrington, J. R. Mautz, and T. K. Sarkar, "On the location of leaky wave poles for a grounded dielectric slab," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 39, No. 2, 346-349, Feb. 1991.
21. Chuang, C. W., "Surface wave diffraction by a truncated inhomogeneous dielectric slab recessed in a conducting surface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 4, 496-502, Apr. 1986.