In this paper detailed numerical results are presented for the estimation of the electric field generated by the first return stroke, in order to reproduce the main characteristics of field waveforms measured at distances beyond 50 km. The effect of parameters such as the lightning channel geometry, distance from the source, return-stroke current speed, its attenuation along the channel is discussed by comparing numerical and experimental results.
2. Borghetti, A., A. S. Morched, F. Napolitano, C. A. Nucci, and M. Paolone, "Lightning-induced overvoltages transferred through distribution power transformers," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 24, No. 1, 360-372, Jan. 2009.
3. Uman, M. A., The Art and Science of Lightning Protection, Cambridge University Press, New York, 2008.
4. Andreotti, A., C. Petrarca, V. A. Rakov, and L. Verolino, "Calculation of voltages induced on overhead conductors by nonvertical lightning channels," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 54, No. 4, 860-870, Jan. 2012.
5. Noda, T., M. Sakae, and S. Yokoyama, "Simulation of lightning surge propagation from distribution line to consumer entrance via pole-mounted transformer," IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol. 19, No. 1, 442-444, 2004.
6. De Vivo, B., P. Lamberti, V. Tucci, and C. Petrarca, "Simulation of the bearing voltage in an inverter-fed induction motor by a full three phase multi conductor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 46, 233-250, 2013.
7. Rakov, V. A. and M. A. Uman, "Review and evaluation lightning return stroke models including some aspects of their application," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 40, No. 4, 403-426, 1998.
8. Rakov, V. A. and F. Rachidi, "Overview of recent progress in lightning research and lightning protection," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 51, No. 3, 428-442, 2009.
9. Lin, Y. T., M. A. Uman, J. A. Tiller, R. D. Brantley, W. H. Beasley, E. P. Krider, and C. D. Weidman, "Characterization of lightning return stroke electric and magnetic fields from simultaneous two-station measurements," J. Geophysical Research, Vol. 84, 6307-6314, 1979.
10. Shoory, A., F. Rachidi, M. Rubinstein, R. Moini, and S. H. H. Sadeghi, "Analytical expression for zero-crossing times in lightning return-stroke engineering models," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 51, No. 4, 963-974, 2009.
11. Shoory, A., F. Rachidi, M. Rubinstein, R. Moini, and S. H. H. Sadeghi, "Why do some lightning return stroke models not reproduce the far-field zero crossing?," J. Geophysical Research, Vol. 114, D16204, 2009.
12. Lupµo, G., C. Petrarca, V. Tucci, and M. Vitelli, "EM fields associated with lightning channels: On the effect of tortuosity and branching," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 42, No. 4, 394-404, Nov. 2000.
13. Andreotti, A., U. De Martinis, C. Petrarca, V. A. Rakov, and L. Verolino, "Lightning electromagnetic fields and induced voltages: Influence of channel tortuosity," 30th URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium, URSIGASS, Paper 6050702, Turkey, 2011.
14. Pavlick, A., D. E. Crawford, and V. A. Rakov, "Characteristics of Distant lightning electric fields," Proc. of Intl. Conf. on Probabilistic Methods Applied to Power Systems (PMAPS), 703-707, Naples, Italy, Sep. 22-26, 2002.
15. Haddad, M. A. and V. A. Rakov, "New measurements of distant lightning electric fields in Florida: Waveform characteristics, interaction with the ionosphere, and peak current estimates," J. Geophysical Research, Vol. 117, D10101, 2012.
16. Haddad, M. A., V. A. Rakov, and S. A. Cummer, "New measurements of lightning electric fields in Florida: Waveform characteristics, interaction with the ionosphere, and peak current estimates," J. Geophysical Research, Vol. 117, D110101, 2012.
17. Lupµo, G., C. Petrarca, V. Tucci, and M. Vitelli, "EM fields generated by lightning channels with arbitrary location and slope," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 42, No. 1, 39-53, Feb. 2000.
18. Andreotti, A., C. Petrarca, V. A. Rakov, and L. Verolino, "Evaluation of EM fields from return stroke for indirect --- Lightning protection of wind turbines," 2013 International Conference on Clean Electrical Power (ICCEP), 755-759, Alghero, Italy, Jun. 2013.
19. Ogata, K., Modern Control Engineering, Prentice Hall, New York, 1976.
20. Rachidi, F., W. Janischewskyj, A. M. Hussein, C. A. Nucci, S. Guerrieri, B. Kordi, and J.-S. Chang, "Current and electromagnetic ¯eld associated with lightning-return strokes to tall towers," IEEE Trans. on Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 43, No. 3, 39-53, 2001.
21. Uman, M. and D. K. McLain, "Magnetic field of the lightning return stroke," J. Geophysical Research, Vol. 74, 6899-6910, 1969.
22. Rakov, V. A. and A. A. Dulzon, "A modified transmission line model for lightning return stroke field calculations," 9th Int. Symposium on Electromagn. Compat., 229-235, Zurich, Switzerland, Mar. 1991.
23. Nucci, C. A., C. Mazzetti, F. Rachidi, and M. Ianoz, "On lightning return stroke models for LEMP calculations," 19th International Conference on Lightning Protection (ICLP), Graz, Austria, Apr. 1988.
24. Bruce, C. E. R. and R. H. Golde, "The lightning discharge," J. Inst. Electr. Eng., Vol. 88, 487-520, 1941.
25. Heidler, F., "Lightning electromagnetic pulse, theorie und messungen,", Ph.D. Dissertation, Fakultat der Elektrotechnik, Univ. Bundeswehr, Munich, Germany, 1987.
26. Diendorfer, G. and M. A. Uman, "An improved return stroke model with specified channel-base current," J. Geophysical Research, Vol. 95, 13621-13644, 1990.
27. Uman, M., D. K. McLain, and E. P. Krider, "The electromagnetic radiation from a finite antenna," Am. Journal of Physics, Vol. 43, 33-38, 1975.
28. Idone, V. P. and R. E. Orville, "Lightning return stroke velocities in the Thunderstorm Research International Program (TRIP)," Journal of Geophysical Research Letters, Vol. 87, No. C7, 4903-4916, Jun. 1982.
29. Hill, R. D., "Analysis of irregular paths of lighting channels," J. Geophysical Research, Vol. 73, No. 6, 1897-1906, 1968.
30. Uman, M., J. Schoene, V. Rakov, K. J. Rambo, and G. H. Schnetzer, "Correlated time derivatives of current, electric ¯eld intensity and magnetic flux density for triggered lightning at 15 m," J. Geophysical Research, Vol. 107, 4160-4172, 2002.
31. LeVine, D. M. and R. Meneghini, "Simulation of radiation from lightning return strokes: The effects of tortuosity," Radio Sci., Vol. 13, No. 5, 801-809, Sep./Oct. 1978.