In the work presented here, the suitability of an unusual energy storage medium is investigated. The energy storage system is based on the forceful compression of two magnetic Halbach arrays. The mass and volume energy density is obtained and compared to existing common energy storage systems. The charge and discharge times and depths are also discussed. In addition, limits and considerations, which are needed for practical implementation, e.g., risk of demagnetization, internal mechanical stresses, heating of the magnetic structure and financial efficiency are investigated.
2. Huggins, R. A., Energy Storage, Springer Science+Business Media, New York, 2010.
3. Rosen, M. A. Ed., Energy Storage, Nova Science Pub Inc., Hauppauge, 2012.
4. Grijalva, S. and M. U. Tariq, "Prosumer-based smart grid architecture enables a flat, sustainable electricity industry," IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT), 2011.
5. Zheng, J., D. W. Gao, and L. Li, "Smart meters in smart grid: An overview," IEEE Green Technologies Conference, 2013.
6., , Supermagnete, Available: http://www.supermagnete.de/eng/.
7. Pawlowski, M., "Permanent magnet energy storage apparatus,", U.S. Patent 5446319 A, August 29, 1995.
8., , Finite Element Method Magnetics, Available: http://www.femm.info/.
9. Meeker, D., "Force on a taper plunger magnet,", Available: http://www.femm.info/wiki/RotersExample.
10., , Vizimag, Available: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Science-CAD/Vizimag.shtml.
11. Jackson, J. D., Classical Electrodynamics, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons Inc., Hoboken, 1999.
12. Mallinson, J. C., "One-sided fluxes --- A magnetic curiosity?," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 9, 678-682, 1973.
13. Halbach, K., "Physical and optical properties of rare earth Cobalt magnets," Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Vol. 187, 109-117, August 1981.
14. Post, R. F. and D. D. Ryutov, "The inductrack approach to magnetic levitation," MAGLEV 2000 The 16th International Conference on Magnetically Levitated Systems and Linear Drives, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, June 6-11, 2000.
15. Pyrhone, J., T. Jokinen, and V. Hrabovcova, Design of Rotating Electrical Machines, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, 2009.
16. Friend, P., "Magnetic levitation train technology 1," Tech. Rep., Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Bradley University, May 2004.
17. Griffiths, D. J., "Introduction to Electrodynamics," Prentice-Hall Inc., Upper Saddle River, 1999.
18. Ma, G. T., J. S. Wang, and S. Y. Wang, "3D finite element modeling of a Maglev system using bulk high Tc superconductor and its application," Applications of High-Tc Superconductivity, A. Luiz (ed.), InTech, Available: http://www.intechopen.com/books/applications-of-high-tc-superconductivity.
19. Sakamoto, T. and H.Wakimoto, "Internal stress analysis of Halbach array magnets with application to linear synchronous motors," International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion, 2008, SPEEDAM 2008, 136-141, June 11-13, 2008.
20. Rovers, J. M. M., J. W. Jansen, E. A. Lomonova, and M. J. C. Ronde, "Calculation of the static forces among the permanent magnets in a Halbach array," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 10, October 2009.
21., , Magpole, Available: http://www.magnetpole.com/smco-magnets-71.html.
22. Donoso, G., C. L. Ladera, and P. Martin, "Damped fall of magnets inside a conducting pipe," Am. J. Phys., Vol. 79, No. 2, February 2011.
23. Donoso, G., C. L. Ladera, and P. Martin, "Magnet fall inside a conductive pipe: Motion and the role of the pipe wall thickness," Eur. J. Phys., Vol. 30, 855-869, 2009.
24. Beckman, O., G. Grimvall, B. Kjollerstrom, and T. Sundstrom, Energilara --- grundlaggande termodynamik, Solna, Liber, 2005.
25. Arslan, M. A., "Flywheel geometry design for improved energy storage using finite element analysis," Materials & Design, Vol. 29, 514-518, 2008.
26., , Electricity storage association, Available: http://www.electricitystorage.org/technology/storage technologies/technology comparison.
27., "Rare-earth free permanent magnets,", Available: http://refreepermag-fp7.eu/project/what-is-refreepermag/.