This paper presents a novel design of an egg curve based wide-slot antenna for various wideband applications. The proposed printed antenna consists of an egg curved slot with a similar tuning stub. The egg curve is obtained by introducing an egg shaping parameter into standard elliptic curve equation. The effect on the impedance bandwidth through the variations in antenna design parameters has been investigated and analysed in detail. To validate the theoretical design, various egg curved slot antennas were designed, fabricated and measured. Good agreement between the simulated results and the measured ones is observed. An empirical formula is also proposed to approximately determine the frequency corresponding to the lower edge of -10 dB operating bandwidth. The results demonstrate that the proposed egg curved slot antenna (ECSA) can obtain a measured bandwidth (BW) of 164.46% (1.95-20.0 GHz) for |S11|≤10 dB. A stable realised gain of about 4.1-5.1 dBi with consistent radiation patterns are measured over more than the entire ultrawideband (UWB) bandwidth (3.1-10.6 GHz) which makes it a suitable candidate for wideband and UWB wireless system applications.
2. Jan, J.-Y. and L.-C. Wang, "Printed wideband rhombus slot antenna with a pair of parasitic strips for multiband applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 1267-1270, 2009.
3. Tsai, C.-L. and C.-L. Yang, "Novel compact eye-shaped UWB antennas," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 184-187, 2012.
4. Liu, J., S. Zhong, and K. Esselle, "A printed elliptical monopole antenna with modified feeding structure for bandwidth enhancement," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 2, 667-670, 2011.
5. Chiou, J.-Y., J.-Y. Sze, and K.-L.Wong, "A broad-band CPW-fed striploaded square slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 4, 719-721, 2003.
6. Denidni, T. and M. Habib, "Broadband printed CPW-fed circular slot antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 3, 135-136, 2006.
7. Krishna, D., M. Gopikrishna, C. Anandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "CPW-fed koch fractal slot antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 389-392, 2008.
8. Dastranj, A. and H. Abiri, "Bandwidth enhancement of printed E-Shaped slot antennas fed by CPW and microstrip line," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 4, 1402-1407, 2010.
9. Li, P., J. Liang, and X. Chen, "Study of printed elliptical/circular slot antennas for ultrawideband applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 6, 1670-1675, 2006.
10. Ma, T.-G. and C.-H. Tseng, "An ultrawideband coplanar waveguide-fed tapered ring slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 4, 1105-1110, 2006.
11. Ling, C.-W., W.-H. Lo, R.-H. Yan, and S.-J. Chung, "Planar binomial curved monopole antennas for ultrawideband communication," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 9, 2622-2624, 2007.
12. Liang, C.-W., T. Denidni, L.-N. Zhang, R.-H. Jin, J.-P. Geng, and Q. Yu, "Printed binomial-curved slot antennas for various wideband applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1058-1065, 2011.
13. Sorokosz, L. and W. Zieniutycz, "On the approximation of the UWB dipole elliptical arms with stepped-edge polygon," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 636-639, 2012.
14. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2003.
15. Ray, K. and Y. Ranga, "Ultrawideband printed elliptical monopole antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 4, 1189-1192, 2007.
16. Wu, W. and Y.-P. Zhang, "Analysis of ultra-wideband printed planar quasi-monopole antennas using the theory of characteristic modes," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 52, No. 6, 67-77, 2010.