We present a simple and straightforward approximate approach to removing resonant artifacts that arise in the material parameters extracted near half-wavelength resonances that arise from transmission/reflection (T/R) measurements on low-loss materials. In order to determine material parameters near one such λ/2 resonance, by means of the 1st-order regressions for the input impedance of the sample-loaded transmission line, we approximate the characteristic impedance of the sample-filled section that is, in turn, dependent either on the relative wave impedance in a coaxial transmission line or on the relative permeability in a rectangular waveguide case. The other material parameters are then found, supplemented with the refractive index obtained from the conventional T/R method. This method applies to both coaxial transmission line and rectangular waveguide measurements. Our approach is validated by use of S-parameters simulated for a low-loss magnetic material, and is also applied to determine the relative permittivity and permeability from S-parameters measured for nylon and lithium-ferrite samples. The results are discussed as compared to those from the well-known Nicolson-Ross-Weir (NRW) method and are experimentally compared to those from the Baker-Jarvis (BJ) method as well.
2. Baker-Jarvis, J., M. D. Janezic, B. F. Riddle, R. T. Johnk, P. Kabos, C. L. Holloway, R. G. Geyer, and C. A. Grosvenor, "Measuring the permittivity and permeability of lossy materials: Solids, liquids, metals, building materials, and negative-index materials,", National Institute of Standards and Technology Technical Note 1536, 2003.
3. Baker-Jarvis, J., M. D. Janezic, and D. C. DeGroot, "High-frequency dielectric measurements," IEEE Instrum. Meas. Magazine, Vol. 13, 24-31, 2010.
4. Fenner, R. A., E. J. Rothwell, and L. L. Frasch, "A comprehensive analysis of free-space and guided-wave technique for extracting the permittivity and permeability of materials using reflection-only measurements," Radio Sci., Vol. 47, RS1044, 2012.
5. Chalapat, K., K. Sarvala, J. Li, and G. S. Paraoanu, "Wideband reference-plane invariant method for measuring electromagnetic parameters of materials," EEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, 2257-2267, 2009.
6. Qi, J., H. Kettunen, H. Wallen, and A. Sihvola, "Compensation of Fabry-Perot resonances in homogenization of dielectric composites," EEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1057-1060, 2010.
7. Liu, X.-X., D. A. Powell, and A. Alu, "Correcting the Fabry-Perot artifacts in metamaterial retrieval procedures," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 84, 235106, 2011.
8. Boughriet, A.-H., C. Legrand, and A. Chapoton, "Noniterative stable transmission/reflection method for low-loss material complex permittivity determination," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 45, 52-57, 1997.
9. Hasar, U. C., "Two novel amplitude-only methods for complex permittivity determination of medium- and low-loss materials," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 19, 055706, 2008.
10. Hasar, U. C. and C. R.Westgate, "A broadband and stable method for unique complex permittivity determination of low-loss materials," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, 471-477, 2009.
11. Nicolson, A. M. and G. F. Ross, "Measurement of intrinsic properties of materials by time-domain techniques," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 19, 377-382, 1970.
12. Weir, W. B., "Automatic measurement of complex dielectric constant and permeability at microwave frequencies," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 62, 33-36, 1974.
13. Baker-Jarvis, J., E. J. Vanzura, and W. A. Kissick, "Improved technique for determining complex permittivity with transmission/reflection method," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 38, 1096-1103, 1990.
14. Baker-Jarvis, J., M. D. Janezic, J. H. Grosvenor, Jr., and R. G. Geyer, "Transmission/reflection and short-circuit line method for measuring permittivity and permeability,", National Institute of Standards and Technology Technical Note 1355-R, 1993.
15. Smith, D. R. and S. Schultz, "Determination of effective permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from re°ection and transmission coefficients," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 65, 195104, 2002.
16. Chen, X., T. M. Grzegorczyk, B.-I. Wu, J. Pachenco, Jr., and J. A. Kong, "Robust method to retrieve the constitutive effective parameters of metamaterials," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 70, 1-7, 2004.
17. Barroso, J. J. and A. L. de Paula, "Retrieval of permittivity and permeability of homogeneous materials from scattering parameters," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 11-12, 1563-1574, 2010.
18. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2nd Ed., Chapter 6, Wiley, NJ, 1998.
19. Challa, R. K., D. Kajfez, J. R. Gladden, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Permittivity measurement with non-standard waveguide by using TRL calibration and fractional linear data fitting," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 1-13, 2010.