Theoretical results on the electromagnetic wave diffraction from a periodic strip grating placed on a chiral medium are obtained. Analytical regularization method based on the solution to the vector Riemann-Hilbert boundary value problem was used to get robust numerical results in the resonant domain, where direct solution methods typically fail. It was shown that in the case of normal incidence of linearly polarized wave the cross-polarized field appears in the reflected field. For elliptically polarized incident wave the diffraction character essentially depends on the polarization direction of the incident wave. These diffraction peculiarities are more pronounced in the resonant domain. Influence of the dichroism caused by chiral medium losses is thoroughly studied. The combination of a chiral medium and a grating can be effectively used for a frequency and polarization selection and for a mode conversion.
2. Panin, S. B. and A. Y. Poyedinchuk, "Electromagnetic wave diffraction by a grating with a chiral layer," Radiophysics and Quantum Electronics, Vol. 45, No. 8, 629-639, 2002.
3. Sirenko, Y. K. and S. Strom, Modern Theory of Gratings, Springer, New York, Dordrecht, Heidelberg, London , 2009.
4. Panin, S. B., E. D. Vinogradova, A. Y. Poyedinchuk, and S. I. Tarapov, "Resonant diffraction from a grating on a paramagnetic layer with frequency dispersion," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 6, 185-199, 2009.
5. Panin, S. B., P. D. Smith, and A. Y. Poyedinchuk, "Elliptical to linear polarization transformation by a grating on a chiral medium," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 13, 1885-1899, 2007.
6. Panin, S. B. and A. Y. Poyedinchuk, "Nonspecular wave reflection from a diffraction grating with a chiral medium," Proc. The International Symposium on Electromagnetic Theory, URSI-EMTS, 1011-1013, Pisa, Italy, May 23-27, 2004.
7. Worasawate, D., J. R. Mautz, and E. Arvas, "Electromagnetic scattering from an arbitrarily shaped three-dimensional homogeneous chiral body," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 5, 1077-1084, May 2003.
8. Demir, V., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and E. Arvas, "FDTD formulation for dispersive chiral media using the Z transform method," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 10, 3374-3384, Oct. 2005.
9. Kuzu, L., V. Demir, A. Z. Elsherbeni, and E. Arvas, "Electromagnetic scattering from arbitrarily shaped chiral objects using the finite difference frequency domain method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 1-24, 2007.
10. Elsherbeni, A. Z., M. H. Al Sharkawy, and S. F. Mahmoud, "Electromagnetic scattering from a 2D chiral strip simulated by circular cylinders for uniform and non-uniform chirality distribution," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 9, 2244-2252, Sep. 2004.
11. Wu, T. X. and D. L. Jaggard, "Scattering of chiral periodic structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation,, Vol. 52, 1859-1970, Jul. 2004.
12. Qian, J.-R., J. Su, L.-L. Xue, and L. Yang, "Coupled-mode analysis for chiral fiber long-period gratings using local mode approach," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, Vol. 48, No. 1, 49-55, 2012.
13. Mittra, R. and S. W. Lee, Analytical Techniques in the Theory of Guided Waves, Macmillan Company, New York, 1971.
14. Hsaio, G. C. and R. E. Kleinman, "Mathematical foundations for error estimation in numerical solutions of integral equations in electromagnetics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 3, 316-328, Mar. 1997.
15. Poyedinchuk, A. Y., Y. A. Tuchkin, and V. P. Shestopalov, "New numerical-analytical methods in diffraction theory," Mathematical and Computer Modelling, Vol. 32, 1026-1046, 2000.
16. Panin, S. B., P. D. Smith, Y. A. Tuchkin, E. D. Vinogradova, and S. S. Vinogradov, "Regularization of the dirichlet problem for Laplace's equation: Surfaces of revolution," Electromagnetics, Vol. 29, No. 1, 53-76, 2009.
17. Panin, S. B., P. D. Smith, E. D. Vinogradova, Y. A. Tuchkin, and S. S. Vinogradov, "Diffraction from arbitrarily shaped bodies of revolution: Analytical regularization," J. Eng. Math., Vol. 65, No. 2, 125-141, 2009.
18. Shestopalov, V. P., Y. A. Tuchkin, A. Y. Poyedinchuk, and Y. K. Sirenko, Novel Methods for Solving Direct and Inverse Problems of Di?raction Theory, Vol. 1: Analytical Regularization of Electromagnetic Boundary Value Problems, Osnova, Kharkov, Ukraine, 1997 (in Russian).
19. Shcherbak, V. V., "Diffraction field in the near-zone of strip inhomogeneities," Radiophysics and Quantum Electronics, Vol. 45, No. 8, 629-639, 2002.
20. Tuchkin, Y. A., "Wave scattering by open cylindrical screens of arbitrary profile with Dirichlet boundary conditions," Sov. Physics Doklady, Vol. 30, 1027-1029, 1985.
21. Tuchkin, Y. A., "Wave scattering by unclosed cylindrical screen of arbitrary profile with Neumann boundary condition," Sov. Physics Doklady, Vol. 32, 213-216, 1987.
22. Poyedinchuk, A. Y., Y. A. Tuchkin, and V. P. Shestopalov, "Diffraction by curved strips," Transactions of Institute of Electrical Engineers of Japan, Vol. A113, 139-145, 1993.
23. Nosich, A. I., "The method of analytical regularization in wave-scattering and eigenvalue problems: Foundations and review of solutions," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 41, No. 3, 34-49, 1999.
24. Shestopalov, V. P., L. N. Litvinenko, S. A. Masalov, and V. G. Sologub, Waves Diffraction by Gratings, Kharkov State University Publishing House, Kharkov, Ukraine, 1973 (in Russian).