A through wafer vertical micro-coaxial transition flushed in a silicon substrate has been designed, fabricated, and tested. The transition has been designed using radio frequency (RF) coaxial theory and consists of a 100μm inner diameter and a 300 μm outer diameter, which corresponded to a 1:3 inner/outer diameter ratio. The transition's through silicon structure has been achieved using standard photolithography techniques and Bosch's process for deep reactive ion etching (DRIE). The coaxial vias of the transition have been successfully metalized with a diluted silver paste using a novel filling method. To measure the behavior of the transition at high frequencies, coplanar waveguide (CPW) lines matched at 50 ohms have been integrated on the front and backside of the device. Measurement results show that the transition demonstrate good results with a reflection coefficient better than -10 dB at high frequencies from 15 GHz-to-60 GHz. Results also indicate that the transition has good signal transmission with less than -1.8 dB insertion loss up to 65 GHz. By eliminating the need for rigorous bonding techniques, the transition is a low-cost and durable design that can produce high input/output ratios ideal for commercial products.
2. Shen, , Y. and J. Zhou, "Design of vertical transition for broad-band T/R module applications with LTCC technology," 1st Asian and Paci¯c Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar, APSAR 2007, 148-150, 2007.
3. Casares-Miranda, , F. P., , et al., "Vertical microstrip transition for multilayer microwave circuits with decoupled passive andactive layers," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, 401-403, 2006.
4. Wu, , B. and H. L. Lo, "Methods and designs for improving the signal integrity of vertical interconnects in high performance packaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 1-11, 2012.
5. Xia, L., , R.-M. Xu, and B. Yan, "LTCC interconnect modeling by support vector regression," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 67-75, 2007.
6. iu, Q., Y. Liu, Y. Wu, J. Shen, S. Li, C. Yu, and M. Su, "A substrate integrated waveguide to substrate integrated coaxial line transtion," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 36, 249-259, 2013.
7. Ramesham, , R. and R. Ghaffarian, "Challenges in interconnection and packaging of microelectromechanical systems (MEMS)," 2000 Proceedings, 50th Electronic Components & Technology Conference , 666-675, 2000.
8. Staiculescu, , D., , et al., "Flip chip design rule development for multiple signal and ground bump confiurations," 2000 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 136-139, 2000.
9. Crunelle, , R., , et al., "Vertical coaxial transitions for MM-waves 3D integration technologies," 2010 European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 101-104, 2010.
10. Yeo, , S.-K., , et al., "Quasi-coaxial vertical via transitions for 3-D packages using anodized aluminum substrates," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, 365-367, 2009.
11. Amaya, , R. E., , et al., "A broadband 3D vertical microstrip to stripline transition in LTCC using a quasi-coaxial structure for millimetre-wave SOP applications," 2010 European Microwave Conference (EuMC),, 109-112, 2010.
12. Wang, , Y., , A. M. Abbosh, and B. Henin, "Wideband microwave crossover using double vertical microstrip-CPW interconnect," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 32, 109-122, 2012.
13. Wu, , W.-C., , et al., "Design, fabrication, and characterization of novel vertical coaxial transitions for flip-chip interconnects," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 32, 362-371, 2009.
14. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, 2005.
15. Chen, , K.-S., , et al., "Effect of process parameters on the surface morphology and mechanical performance of silicon structures after deep reactive ion etching (DRIE)," Journal of roelectromechanical Systems, Vol. 11, 264-275, 2002.
16. Silver Paste, .
17. Probe Tips, .
18. Ansys HFSS, .
19. AutoCAD, .
20. LaMeres, , B. J., et al., "Novel 3-D coaxial interconnect system for use in system-in-package applications," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 33, 37-47, 2010.