Ramp response technique in low frequency can be used for generating 3-dimensional images of radar targets (even stealthy or buried targets) so as to identify them. This technique uses the target profile function, which is defined as its transverse cross- sectional area versus distance along the observing direction. For mutually orthogonal observing views, reconstructed 3D images are quite accurate. However, in practice, due to the bias introduced from the response in shadow region and from limited non-orthogonal observing directions, reconstructions become distorted.To evaluate the quality of the reconstruction and to further identify objects from their reconstruction, we need to calculate profile functions of 3D reconstructed objects in arbitrary directions. Therefore, in this paper, we propose an algorithm meeting this needs.
2. Moffatt, , D. L., , J. D. Young, A. A. Ksienski, H.-C. Lin, and C. M. Rhoads, "Transient response characteristics in identification and imaging," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 29, 192-204, 1981.
3. Kuschel, H., "VHF/UHF radar. Part 1: Characteristics," Electronics & Communication Engineering Journal, Vol. 14, No. 2, 61-72, 2002.
4. Kuschel, , H., , J. Heckenbach, S. Mller, and R. Appel, "Countering stealth with passive, multi-static, low frequency radars," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 25, No. 9, 11-17, 2010.
5. Kennaugh, , E. M. and D. L. Moffatt, "Transient and impulse response approximations," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 53, 893-901, 1965.
6. Young, J. D., "Radar Imaging from ramp response signatures," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 24, 276-282, 1976.
7. Young, , J. D., "Target imaging from multiple frequency radar returns," Ph.D. Dissertation, The Ohio State University,, 1971.
8. Nag, S., "Ramp response signatures of dielectric scatterers,"atures of dielectric scatterers," Ph.D. Dissertation, The Ohio State University, , 1971.
9. Shubert, , K. A., , J. D. Young, and D. L. Moffatt, "Synthetic radar imagery," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 25, 477-483, 1977.
10. Tsao, S.-J. J., "Image reconstruction using ramp response signatures," Ph.D. Dissertation, The Pennsylvania State University,, 1985.
11. Nag, , S. , L. Peters, and Jr., "Ramp response signatures of dielectric targets, especially land mines," Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium Proceedings, Vol. 1, 213-315, 1998.
12. Chen, , C.-C., L. Peters, and Jr., "Ramp response signatures for UXOs," Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium Proceedings, Vol. 4, 1436-1438, 2000.
13. Nag, , S. , L. Peters, and Jr., "Radar radar images of penetrable targets generated from ramp profile functions," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 49, 32-40, 2001.
14. Chen, , C.-C. , L. Peters, Jr., and , "Radar scattering and target imaging obtained using ramp-response techniques," Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 49, No. 3, 2007.
15. Zhang, , X. M., W. Lib, and G. R. Liu, "A new technique in ramp response for acoustic imaging of underwater objects," Applied Acoustics, Vol. 63, 453-465, 2002.
16. Li, , W., , G. R. Liu, and V. K. Varadan, "Acoustical imaging of underwater objects using the bistatic ramp response signals," IOP, Smart Mater. Struct., Vol. 13, 169-174, 2004.
17. Chauveau, , J. and N. de Beaucoudrey, "A new algorithm of 3D image reconstruction of radar targets from ramp responses in low frequency," Progress In Electromagnetic Research M, Vol. 16, 1-18, 2011.
18. Das, , Y. and W. Boerner, "On radar target shape estimation using algorithms for reconstruction from projections," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 26, No. 2, 274-279, 1978.
19. Nebabin, , N. G., Methods and Techniques of Radar Recognition,, Artech House, London, 1994.
20. Anton, , L., S. Pican, and , "Reconstruction and recognition of the radar target image," 5th International Conference on Telecommunications in Modern Satellite, Cable and Broadcasting Service, TELSIKS 2001, Vol. 1, 61-64, 2001.
21. Chauveau, , J., , N. de Beaucoudrey, and J. Saillard, "Radar target imaging from ramp responses using low frequency extrapolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium Abstracts, 18-21, 2009.
22. FEKO, "Software of Electromagnetic Simulations,".
23. Chauveau, , J., N. de Beaucoudrey, and J. Saillard, "Low frequency radar targets 3-dimensional imaging using ramp response signatures," International Radar Conference, 2009..
24. Chauveau, , J. and N. de Beaucoudrey, "Low frequency imaging of separated objects using the ramp response technique," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and CNC/USNC/URSI Radio Science Meeting, 2010.
25. Chauveau, , J., , Y. Wen, and N. de Beaucoudrey, "Low frequency radar target imaging using ramp response signatures in arbitrary directions," PIERS Proceedings, 1572-1575, 2011.