This paper presents new semi-analytical expressions to calculate the selfinductance and the electromagnetic force for a ferromagnetic cylinder of finite length placed inside a circular coil of rectangular cross section. The proposed analytical model is based on boundary value problems with Fourier analysis. Laplace's and Poisson's equations are solved in each region by using the separation of variables method. The boundary and continuity conditions between the different regions yield to the global solution. Moreover, the iron cylinder is assumed to be infinitely permeable. Magnetic field distribution, self-inductance and electromagnetic force obtained with the proposed analytical model are compared with those obtained from finite-element.
2. Durand, E., Magnétostatique, Masson et Cie, Paris, 1968.
3. Urankar, L., "Vector potential and magnetic field of current-carrying finite arc segment in analytical form, part III: Exact computation for rectangular cross-section," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 18, No. 6, 1860-1867, Nov. 1982.
4. Yu, D. and K. S. Han, "Self-inductance of aire-core circular coils with rectangular cross-section," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 43, No. 6, 3916-3921, 1987.
5. Rezzoug, A., J. P. Caron, and F. M. Sargos, "Analytical calculation of flux induction and forces of thick coils with finite length," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 28, No. 5, 2250-2252, Sep. 1992.
6. Azzerboni, B., E. Cardelli, M. Raugi, A. Tellini, and G. Tina, "Magnetic field evaluation for thick annular conductors," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 29, No. 3, 2090-2094, May 1993.
7. Conway, J. T., "Exact solutions for the magnetic fields of solenoids and current distributions," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 37, No. 4, 2977-2988, Jul. 2001.
8. Babic, S. and C. Akiel, "Improvement of the analytical calculation of the magnetic field produced by permanent magnet rings," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 5, 71-82, 2008.
9. Conway, J. T., "Trigonometric integrals for the magnetic field of the coil of rectangular cross section," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 42, No. 5, 1538-1548, May 2006.
10. Babic, S. and C. Akyel, "Magnetic force calculation between thin coaxial circular coils in air," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 44, No. 4, 445-452, Apr. 2008.
11. Conway, J. T., "Inductance calculations for circular coils of rectangular cross section and parallel axes using Bessel and Struve functions," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 46, No. 1, 75-81, Jan. 2010.
12. Ravaud, R., G. Lemarquand, V. Lemarquand, and C. Depollier, "The three exact components of the magnetic field created by a radially magnetized tile permanent magnet," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 307-319, 2008.
13. Ravaud, R., G. Lemarquand, V. Lemarquand, S. Babic, and C. Akyel, "Mutual inductance and force exerted between thick coils," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 367-380, 2010.
14. Babic, S., F. Sirois, C. Akyel, G. Lemarquand, V. Lemarquand, and R. Ravaud, "New formulas for mutual inductance and axial magnetic force between a thin wall solenoid and a thick circular coil of rectangular cross-section," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 47, No. 8, 2034-2044, Aug. 2011.
15. Zhang, D. and C. S. Koh, "An efficient semi-analytic computation method of magnetic field for a circular coil with rectangular cross section," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 48, No. 1, 62-68, Jan. 2012.
16. Gysen, B. L. J., K. J. Meessen, J. J. H. Paulides, and E. A. Lomonova, "General formulation of the electromagnetic field distribution in machines and devices using Fourier analysis," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 46, No. 1, 39-52, Jan. 2010.
17. Lubin, T., S. Mezani, and A. Rezzoug, "Exact analytical method for magnetic field computation in the air-gap of cylindrical electrical machines considering slotting effects," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 46, No. 4, 1092-1099, Apr. 2010.
18. Rabins, L., "Transformer reactances calculation with digital computer," AIEE Trans., Vol. 75, Pt. I, 261-267, Jul. 1956.
19. Martinelli, G. and A. Morini, "A potential vector field solution in superconducting magnets, part I: Method of calculation," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 19, No. 4, 1537-1545, Jul. 1983.
20. Caldwell, J. and A. Zisserman, "A Fourier series approach to magnetostatic field calculations involving magnetic materials," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 54, No. 9, 4734-4738, Sep. 1983.
21. Caldwell, J. and A. Zisserman, "Magnetostatic field calculations involving iron using eigenfunction expansion," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 19, No. 6, 2725-2729, Nov. 1983.
22. Uzal, E., I. Ozkol, and M. O. Kaya, "Impedance of a coil surrounding an infinite cylinder with an arbitrary radial conductivity profile," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 34, No. 1, 213-217, Nov. 1987.
23. Wilcox, D. J., M. Conlon, and W. G. Hurley, "Calculation of self and mutual impedances for coils on ferromagnetic cores," IEE Proceedings, Vol. 135, Pt. A, No. 7, 470-476, 1998.
24. Dodd, C. V. and W. E. Deeds, "Analytical solutions to eddy-current probe-coil problems," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 39, 2829-2838, May 1968.
25. Dodd, C. V., C. C. Cheng, and W. E. Deeds, "Induction coils coaxial with an arbitrary number of cylindrical conductors," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 45, 638-647, Feb. 1974.
26. Bowler, J. R. and T. P. Theodoulidis, "Eddy currents induced in a conducting rod of finite length by a coaxial encircling coil," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 38, 2861-2868, 2005.
27. Sun, H., J. R. Bowler, and T. P. Theodoulidis, "Eddy currents induced in a finite length layered rod by a coaxial coil," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 41, No. 9, 2455-2461, Sep. 2005.
28. Abramowitz, M. and I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions, Dover Publications, Inc., New York, 1972.
29. Farlow, S. J., Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers, 414, Dover Publications, New York, 1993.
30. Meeker, D. C., Finite Element Method Magnetics, 4.2 Ed., Apr. 1, 2009, http://www.femm.info..