This paper presents the novel design of a wideband circularly polarized (CP) Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) reader microstrip patch antenna for worldwide Ultra High Frequency (UHF) band which covers 840-960 MHz. The proposed antenna, which consists of a microstrip patch with truncated corners and a cross slot, is placed on a foam substrate (εr = 1.06) above a ground plane and is fed through vias through ground plane holes that extend from the quadrature 3 dB branch line hybrid coupler placed below the ground plane. This helps to separate feed network radiation, from the patch antenna and keeping the CP purity. The prototype antenna was fabricated with a total size of 225 x 250 x 12.8 mm3 which shows a measured impedance matching band of 840-1150 MHz (31.2%) as well as measured rotating linear based circularly polarized radiation patterns. The simulated and measured 3 dB Axial Ratio (AR) bandwidth is better than 23% from 840--1050 MHz meeting and exceeding the target worldwide RFID UHF band.
2. Glover, B. and H. Bhatt, RFID Essentials, O'Reilly, Sebastopol, CA, 2006.
3. Balanis, C. A., "Antenna Theory Analysis and Design," 3rd edition, Wiley Interscience, Hoboken, NJ, 2005.
4. Milligan, T., Modern Antenna Design, 2nd edition, IEEE Press, Hoboken, NJ, 2005.
5. Cushcraft Corporation, , "Antenna polarization considerations in wireless communication systems,", Manchester, 2002, http://www.eie.fceia.unr.edu.ar/ftp/Antenas%20-y%20Propagacion/Antenna-Polarization-14B32.pdf, .
6. Deavours, D. and D. Dobkin, "UHF passive tag antennas," Microstrip and Printed Antennas: New Trends, Techniques, and Applications, D. Guha and Y. M. Antar (eds.), 264-265, Wiley, United Kingdom, 2011.
7. Nikitin, P. V. and K. V. S. Rao, "Helical antenna for handheld UHF RFID reader," IEEE International Conference on RFID, 166-173, Orlando, FL, Apr. 2010.
8. Paret, D., "RFID at Ultra and Super High Frequencies Theory and Application," 2nd edition, Wiley, United Kingdom, 2009.
9. Shin, D., P. Park, W. Seong, and J. Choi, "A novel dual-band circularly polarized antenna using a feeding configuration for RFID reader," Proc. Int. Conf. on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications, 511-514, Torino, Italy, Sep. 2007.
10. Kwa, H. W., X. Qing, and Z. N. Chen, "Broadband single-fed single-patch circularly polarized antenna for UHF RFID applications ," IEEE Int. Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, 1-4, San Diego, CA, USA, Jul. 2008.
11. Chen, X., G. Fu, S.-X. Gong, Y.-L. Yan, and W. Zhao, "Circularly polarized stacked annular-ring microstrip antenna with integrated feeding network for UHF RFID readers," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 542-545, Jun. 2010.
12. Chung, H. L., X. Qing, and Z. N. Chen, "Broadband circularly polarized stacked patch antenna for UHF RFID applications ," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Int. Sym., 1189-1192, Honolulu, HI, USA, Jun. 2007.
13. Nassimudin, Y. S. B. and Z. N. Chen, "Broadband circularly polarized microstrip antenna for RFID reader applications," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 625-628, Singapore, Dec. 2009.
14. Wang, Z., S. Fang, S. Fu, and M. Fan, "Single-fed single-patch broadband circularly polarized antenna for UHF RFID reader applications ," 2nd Int. Conf. on Industrial and Information Systems, 87-89, Dalian, Jul. 2010.
15. Kim, D.-Z., H.-S. Tae, K.-S. Oh, M.-Q. Lee, and J.-W. Yu, "Helical reflector antenna with a wideband CP for RFID reader," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 1032-1035, Singapore, Dec. 2009.
16. Chen, Z. N., X. Qing, and H. L. Chung, "A universal UHF RFID reader antenna," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 5, 1275-1282, May 2009.
17. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2001.
18. Albooyeh, M., N. Komjani, and M. Shobeyri, "A novel cross-slot geometry to improve impedance bandwidth of microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 63-72, 2008.
19. Lee, J. M., N. S. Kim, and C. S. Pyo, "A circular polarized metallic patch antenna for RFID reader," Conf. on Communications Asia-Pacific, 116-118, Perth, WA, Oct. 2005.
20. Pozar, D. M., "Microwave Engineering," 3rd edition, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2005.
21. Lin, Y.-F., H.-M. Chen, S.-C. Kao, and C.-Y. Lin, "Adjustable axial ratio of single-layer circularly polarized patch antenna for portable RFID reader," Electronics Lett., Vol. 45, No. 6, Mar. 2009.
22. Balanis, C. A., Modern Antenna Handbook, Chapter 4, John Wiley & Sons Inc., USA, 2008.
23. Qing, X. and N. Yang, "2.45 GHz circularly polarized RFID reader antenna," Ninth Int. Conf. on Communications Systems, 612-615, Singapore, Sept. 2004.
24. Yi, M., S. Li, H. Liu, and W. Hong, "A novel antenna with a feed networks for RFID reader at ultra high frequency," IEEE Int. Conf. on Communication Systems, 801-804, Singapore, Nov. 2008.
25. Lin, P.-J., H.-C. Teng, Y.-J. Huang, and M.-K. Chen, "Design of patch antenna for RFID reader applications," 3rd Int. Conf. on Anti-counterfit, Security, and Identification in Communication, 193-196, Hong Kong, China, Aug. 2009.
26. Wang, Z., S. Fang, S. Fu, and X. Li, "Circularly polarized antenna with U-shaped strip for RFID reader operating at 902-928 MHz," Int. Sym. on Signals Systems and Electronics, 1-3, Nanjing, China, Sept. 2010.
27. Mireles, E. and S. K. Sharma, "A broadband microstrip patch antenna fed through vias connected to a 3 dB quadrature line coupler for worldwide UHF RFID reader applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (IEE AP-S), Spokane, Washington, USA, Jul. 3-8, 2011.
28. Pozar, D. M., "Microstrip antennas," Proc. of the IEEE, Vol. 80, No. 1, 79-91, Jan. 1992.
29. Kraus, J. D. and R. Markhefka, Antennas for All Applications, 3rd edition, McGraw Hill, New York, NY, 2002.